Print Page | Close Window

Zip pidee do dah !

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127248
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:12pm

Topic: Zip pidee do dah !
Posted By: bazza
Subject: Zip pidee do dah !
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:46am
Started to get gear together for a forthcoming fly fishing trip & was rather dismayed to find with a couple of backpacks that the many zips
incorporated in their manufacture were completely seized up with corrosion within the sliders.

With on going determination & liberal doses of both vinegar & marine CRC spray after half a dozen attempts managed to free them. What I did find to is need to be patient & keep wriggling them as a couple that I tried to force using pliers were virtually demolished, but fortunately the zips had a slider on both ends so still work ok. 

The lesson to be learnt is if you have gear with zips particularly if they have been exposed to a salt water environment then stored away may well pay to check if they still operate OK & in any event give them a spray of CRC or suchlike.

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Replies:
Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:52pm
I find salt water seems to kill zips along with metal parts of my boat over time.

Still not sure if spraying zips when new stops happening (I haven't tried yet) - certainly my zips once corroded seem to keep seizing up despite liberal doses of WD40, Inox etc.

Seems to me everything should be lubed/exercised once a month or so to keep it running smoothly.

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 3:35pm
Zips on my dive gear bag and chilly bag for lunch sandwiches never been an issue over the last 5 or 6 yrs
 Simple.. had zips mess up in the past, so for many decades now, when get these bags a light spray of lanoline when 1st get them  and occasionally every yr or so
 Previous to that used to be the back pack, pup tent, gun case.
 Didnt have lanolin spray in those days so rubbed a mixture of bees wax and lanolin , then rand the zip bacl and forth till all the little bits went into the zipper.

Zips are like trailer wheel nuts...if dont maintain, when you need to use them, they snap off/ jamb up.

Its about "working hard a being lazy"

Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Zips on my dive gear bag and chilly bag for lunch sandwiches never been an issue over the last 5 or 6 yrs
 Simple.. had zips mess up in the past, so for many decades now, when get these bags a light spray of lanoline when 1st get them  and occasionally every yr or so
 Previous to that used to be the back pack, pup tent, gun case.
 Didnt have lanolin spray in those days so rubbed a mixture of bees wax and lanolin , then rand the zip bacl and forth till all the little bits went into the zipper.

Zips are like trailer wheel nuts...if dont maintain, when you need to use them, they snap off/ jamb up.

Its about "working hard a being lazy"
thanks Steps - lanolin would be good as sticky and wont wash out easily too.

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 8:46pm
You'll notice GOOD marine zips like dive bags etc are all plastic. I go for these on fishing bags etc. 

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 7:24am
Even those get a salt / crap build up..
The real big plastic zips on the bimmini are sprayed...

Print Page | Close Window