Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127150
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 11:36am

Topic: The Tamure Kid on fire
Posted By: Redfinger
Subject: The Tamure Kid on fire
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:31pm
I had the pleasure this morning of driving my good buddy lester (aka The Tamure Kid) around the gulf and watching him catch some really decent fish.
It is normal to show a guest a good time on your boat but Lester took this  a step further - he didnt just rub my nose in it (read pushing my face into the thawed squid infused wet livebait tank and rubbing my face in it good and proper!)
We ended up over Gardners gap chasing anchovy schools - lester was on fire with the softbaits nailing a few pannies but one very nice snapper about 60cm - i was content to drive the boat around as you do adn cast micro jigs, softies anything really but made no difference. tried a liveys but no kingfish here.
A decent wind against strong tide meant an exciting trip back to the bays - we thawed out straylining at Russells rock (yes my rock it is not called Lesters Rock - maybe will be now). 
Not surprsingly Lesters line takes off - bloody ray or shark i said - let me cut the line i said helpfully. After 15 minutes an 82cm kingfish appears - Lester on fire indeed!
Hang on my line takes off - time to save face - yes a kingfish but only 7ocm so tatar fish back over the side.
Thanks Lester - great morning

Replies:
Posted By: cirrus
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 2:14pm
Nice Kingi. Beautiful condition.Well done you two.

Any Kahawai around the Anchovy schools.
Im heading out shortly for a change of light fish,if i can get a park at Takapuna that is. Pretty windy so not sure how far out i will go.

Posted By: Far Quirk
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 2:57pm
Well done Lester.  Redfinger is the consumate host, but has thrashed me in the past, so win some, lose some.

-------------
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:00pm
Cirrus - patchy small schools of Kahawaii - seemed almost more bait than prdators behind rangi today. Maybe going to go off now?
Alot of time the kahawaii have no birds with them so keep an eye out for random splashes - no big schools today for us though.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:11pm
Cheers. Heading off now.Wind seems to be dropping.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 6:59pm
Nice TK 

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Well done Lester.  Redfinger is the consumate host, but has thrashed me in the past, so win some, lose some.

Thanks FQ, glad to hear you got a few this morning as well.

You are right, Redfinger is a heck of an obliging skipper, safe as houses and ensures a tightly run boat. You didn't tell me, however, about Russell's sideline job as a chiropractor. My back was well and truly re-aligned after the trip back, with Redfinger swerving to hit every wave, no doubt to punish me for mentioning that 3 x 3inch jack macks, and 2x 25cm kahawai wasn't up to the great man's reputation. As we all know, the little FC boats are soft and dry riders, but you know they had Russell at the helm when they were testing their design theories out ! Smile

Seriously, though, it was a hugely memorable morning. Now I know why they call Russell 'Hawkeye', with him spotting kahawai bust ups, and even shimmering schools of anchovies without any predators in attendance, from miles away. 
He forgot to mention the horse of a kahawai I got over by Gardners, would have given a Mokau River mouth thumper a run for its money. Though Russell did ask, after the fish zoomed off again, if my soft bait reel had a baitrunner mode, the drag appeared to be set so light!

And, just a correction. After i got my 4-year-old to pull on the kingies tail at home, it stretched out to a genuine 85cm, approaching my best. And after all my efforts targeting them with little success to date, it was bycatch on a frozen squid and a 5/0 Gammie circle hook! 

Thanks again Redfinger for a fantastic few hours on the water. and the wise words to try peeing downwind next time, not into a 15knot SWer. It's true what they say, you learn something new every day! 

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Nice TK 

Thanks Muppet. A trifecta of great fights with fish i won't forget in a hurry. I'll be reliving the trip in the dull parts of the working day until the next trip.

hey, you might like to know your old Cousins overhead rod is getting some good action as a trout jigging rod, as well as stints in the salt. A very nice rod.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:32pm
TTK - You almost sound like it was deliberate on my part - the slight decelleration at the crucial approach to 2-3 capping waves having the affect of catching the port bow and channeling the rest of the wave over the forward console passenger? Actually worked even better when (sorry if )i also altered the trim at that exact moment to bury the nose enhancing the affect.  
Must admit extremely entertaining as i was sheltered behind the console and screen cracking up each time it happened while at the same time scanning ahead to find more waves to repeat the process .
Yes the peeing thing you did - havent seen too many people attempt to pee directly into 15knots of fresh south westerly before - results were predictable and i did the good thing giving you and your old fella a salt water spray blast on the way home.

Posted By: Far Quirk
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:21pm
Hell hath no fury like a shamed skipper.  Any more dirty laundry to air you two?
Very considerate doing TTK's laundry RFClap

-------------
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:27pm
Not at all. In fact, i'm probably even going to wash out the fish bin he lent me (seeing as he didn't need it) before I give it back on the weekend.
But good to see you monitoring posts for possible bullying, Geoff, as a good moderator does.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Not at all. In fact, i'm probably even going to wash out the fish bin he lent me (seeing as he didn't need it) before I give it back on the weekend.
But good to see you monitoring posts for possible bullying, Geoff, as a good moderator does.

No bullying here .... Big smile Sounds like it was a fun day

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:49am
Re the Fish Bin - TTK - You may as well keep it as I seldom catch anything worthwhile to put in it!!LOL

Posted By: 700 LTR
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:25am
I'm glad you guys had a great morning on the water, I was out the same area in my FC390 with girl friend and her little brother, spent the whole morning baiting there hooks! 
I did manage to snag a couple of 45cm snapper on soft bait in between playing deck hand! 
The wind against the tide sure made for an interesting run back to the Takapuna boat ramp! I was happy for the 30hp on the FC390. 

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:09am
TTT, next time you feel the need to face 15kts of SW wind, aim the trajectory somewhat higher, like 75 o or so, so that the missiles curve back over your right shoulder.
Am pretty sureRedfinger would alter course quick smart to have you facing downwindWink

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:50am
Lord knows what would have happened if he wanted a NO2!

Posted By: Foxtrot Oscar
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:01am
Good fun and great reading chaps! (Liked.)

-------------
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>

Posted By: JW
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:25am
Nice work Big smile

Posted By: Clay
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:20pm
Outfishing redfinger and on his boat = Legend.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:27pm
Clay - its not that hard to do - really.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:58pm
Launched  late afternoon and was headed to the gap where redfinger said i may find a Kahawai or two. Got to edge of the channel,paused and thought about coming back again into a wind against  incoming tide. Didnt feel like getting wet. I looked to the south and looked to the west, out where the chill winds roar ,saw a windy sky and knew it wasnt over yet.
Trolled for too long along the edge of the rangi ,among the chop and the spindrift ,the odd tern ,not a touch.

The day was getting late and wanting a comfortable cruisey fish anchored up in the lea side out of wind as much as possible.
Didnt take long and some nice snapper graced the bin.All around mid 30s,one at 48cm.

Sat out there among the white caps ,the skuas ,the terns and the gulls and couldnt think of a better place to be.

And during that couple of hours i hooked 3 eagle rays & a meter long or more tope. Getting them in and cutting the hook retying traces all  consumed a good hour. All while my mate kept catching nice snaps.
Thought why was it i hooked 3 rays and my mate didnt hook one.
All he hooked were nice snapper while i was occupied by rays. Why was it. Then suddenly i knew. I had left my trusty Ray Bans at home. Nothing to ban the rays. That was it.
My mate also had a live jack mac out on a float. Not a touch.
Thinking i would have had it nearer the bottom with a light weight.
Future trips i will be targeting kings and see how it goes
Think the secret will be finding the depths they are swimming at.
Got back to the ramp at low tide, shadows falling ,and what a low tide it was.Dont know where all the water went.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:38pm
Good result there on the snaps- re the kingfish - if there is any bait around eg Jacks, kahawaii etc they wont be far away - whether they are hungry or not is another story. If in depths less than 12m (sommetimes 20m) i find leaving unweighted works ok but you would be wise to experiment with different weighted rigs.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:55pm
Yes a good day on the snaps,but now time for a kingy. Long time since the last one. A matter of trying different spots and different depths with lives. Yesterday the Jack Macks were schooling about 3 meter above the bottom. So if any kings around they may have been down there as well at that depth. The ttk kingi inspired me to try harder.Smile

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:49pm
Great report, Cirrus. Sounds like a great day out. In terms of the kingies, I learned a lot watching Redfinger with the unweighted livie, just letting it make its own way around with the reel on light drag, ready to lock up and set the hook if it got swallowed. As he said, we did that anywhere there were decent bait schools and fish working the top. Worked very well for him a few weeks back as well. A bit like the kayak boys do, trolling a live bait around areas with bait schools.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Lord knows what would have happened if he wanted a NO2!

When I bought the FC465, you said that was your favourite thing about the FC "live bait" tank design. "A big boy's potty" I think you said in the boat yard, as I contemplated signing on the dotted line.

That's why i was a bit hesitant about taking out the bung when you ordered me to as we left for home. I thought that belly up kahawai might not be the only thing floating in the tank.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Outfishing redfinger and on his boat = Legend.

I thought we might see you out there, Clay, your neck of the woods as seen in a lot of your vids. Launching from the Bays gives you so many options, a great fishery on your doorstep for all of you who live up that way.

Posted By: beerbatter
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 2:17pm
Nice work Russell and TTK.

Was out around there on Waitangi day too. Rangi Channel is loaded with good pannies. The good Rangi string pullers that we've all come to know and love. Wish I'd made it round to the gap now, was looking for some Kahawai.

The FC535CC was handling beautifully. It got quite sloppy when the SW'er picked up and apart from when I actively tried to give my mate a shower up front, it was a pretty dry and smooth ride home, really handles the slop nicely. Launched Browns Bay at dead low, retrieved at high (no beach), normally my two worse experiences, but it was all very very easy. Especially launching. Unhitched, ran the trailer in, slide the FC off in sweet FA water. Have to say Russell, I'm so bloody pleased with it all.

Anyway, this is not a paid advertisement, just a happy boatie Big smile 

-------------
In the rat race, even if you win, you're still a rat.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 7:41pm
Hi Andy - I trust you are well my friend.
Its interesting how much the extra waterline length of a boat has on its handling - the extra metre you have on your fc535cc over my fc430cc is noticeable isn't it.
We launched browns bay too - at low tide and launched same way you did but managed to keep trai;er on rav4 on retrieve with just enough water.
Sounds like you did better than us on the snapper in the rangi channel - well done mate and great to see you using the boat.

Posted By: Stripstrike
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 12:28pm
I have to say that when I read that 'The Tamure Kid was on fire', I was immediately concerned for Lester's wellbeing, envisaging him adrift in the Tamaki Strait with smoke billowing out of the back of his new boat, waiting for the coastguard. Shocked

I was relieved to see that it was a actually a report of a successful fishing trip (for Lester at any rate) and not cause for any concern. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 4:26pm
haha, no fire extinguisher required, fortunately. 

Print Page | Close Window