Print Page | Close Window

Advice catching paddle crabs with a crab pot

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Landbased & Surfcasting
Forum Description: From rocks or beaches, here's the place for the landbased fishos to share information
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126856
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 9:54pm

Topic: Advice catching paddle crabs with a crab pot
Posted By: KingZakum
Subject: Advice catching paddle crabs with a crab pot
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:42pm
Hey guys, hoping someone can help.
I recently acquired a crab pot but had 2 unsuccessful outings (Hatfields Beach, Auckland) Cry. The bait I used were pilchards, and then squashed pilchards - no nibbles and nothing in the pot. I waited about 30 min after dropping it once I couldn't stand anymore.

Is it best to drop it near the rocks? - I dropped it basically in the middle of the ocean.
Are pilchards a good bait for these buggers?
Any good spots on the shore or on the hibiscus coast?

Any other advice would really be appreciated.
Thanks guys! 

Replies:
Posted By: Jamiez
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 11:18pm
My humble opinions:
I reckon the most popular place for catching paddle crabs might be waipu beach (tip face road). And the far away you walk along the beach away from the entrance, the better result you may get. 
However, do remember safety comes first. Don't go alone, wear a life jacket ( or similar floating device), and there is no need to go deeper than the waist. 5-10 minutes should be enough when there are paddle crabs around. Sometimes there is rip current in these areas, so DO watch out. Choose a nice day, don't go when the swell/wave are high, too dangerous.

Pilchard is good bait indeed. Some people use chicken frame and also get good result ( but do remember to take it home after done crab fishing. Chicks don't belong to the ocean LOL)

PS: if you place it near rocks, you may get rock crabs, also very delicious. 

Print Page | Close Window