Forum Name: Gamefishing Updates and Reports Archive
Forum Description: Key info and threads from previous gamefishing seasons
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126491
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:17am

Topic: Gamefishing Updates - Manukau to Ahipara - 17/18
Posted By: Grunta
Subject: Gamefishing Updates - Manukau to Ahipara - 17/18
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:33pm
Game-fishing reports, updates, and pics here. Good luck for the  season.

Replies:
Posted By: BenM
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:13pm
We've been out a few times for a look since the New Year.

2 December- couldn't believe it when we motored into dark purple 24.5 degree water between 65m and 70m. Dropped the lures in and 10 minutes later saw a marlin cruising on the surface (first time I'd seen one swimming around so that was pretty exciting). Didn't seem bothered by us in the slightest, worked around it for 5 minutes and it didn't appear to be interested until one of the tuna lures went screaming off before the line promptly snapped. We carried on trolling and 5 minutes later came across another marlin lazily swimming along (couldn't believe my eyes haha), unfortunately I think I got a bit close and this one promptly dived and wasn't seen again. We trolled on for an hour and picked up two skippies and two albies (we saw a tonne of tuna work ups but couldn't get much action), unfortunately we haven't got tuna tubes as we came across our third marlin of the day. Although swimming along in the wake wave for a minute it didn't seem interested in the lures and disappeared shortly thereafter. Blue water was all the way in to around 45m.

3 Dec - naturally we headed to the same area but could only find 21.5 degree water (nice and blue still) and picked up a couple of skippies.

Today - headed out to 70m but could only find 21.5 degree water which was very green and despite acres of saury on the surface couldnt find any game fish. Saw what I think was a huge Manta Ray, would that be right? Also saw a reasonable size hammerhead which was cool.

Dolphins were playful and plentiful on all days between 35m and 70m.

Rest of the week is looking good for some missions so we will see how we go.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:26pm
Great report to kick off the new season Ben. Were you off the Manukau. I don't see why manta rays wouldn't be on our side of the ocean. Coxie got albies in at 45m today.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:29am
Yep off the Manukau Smudge.

Posted By: Raging Bull
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:03am
Nice! Did you mean Januaray or were you out in December?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:03am
Haha Jan! Usually I only forget what day it is when on holiday, not the month!

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:09am
Did you head out deeper at all?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:56pm
Not yet but likely over the next few days.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:23pm
See you out there Friday

Posted By: Gowest
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 2:20pm
One landed today of Manukau and another couple seen from FB reports. Now watch the hoards head out there this weekend and the catch tally start rising haha

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:46pm
We saw a boat flying a blue flag at 120m so assume they caught something. We only managed a very large mako from a slow trolled XL Albie at 200m. Nice blue water from 70m but it was only 20.6 degrees until about midday when it warmed up to 21.2.

Posted By: Arron
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:33pm
One weighed at Te Toro today, went 89.0kg

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:36am
The 3 knot northerly forecast for yesterday was a bit off, very sloppy conditions out there. We only managed a Skippy and a couple of albies.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:32am
Two more weighed at Te Toro last night.91.2kg & 92.4kg. Both taken from 115 to 120m. One well south, one right out front.

-------------

Posted By: matto1234
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:19pm
Yellowfin weighed for raglan club today 44kg.

Posted By: wopass
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by matto1234 matto1234 wrote:

Yellowfin weighed for raglan club today 44kg.

Shocked

that's wicked cool!!

Posted By: White snake
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:15pm
That's awsome.west coast Gunna go off

Posted By: coxie
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:53pm
Interested to hear the tally for today (saturday) Looks to be atleast 5 or 6 stripies that i've seen on facebook

Posted By: matto1234
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:22am

Posted By: Joker
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:43am
Team Joker finally made it on the board with an estimated 85 - 90kg Marlin off the Manakau West Coast yesterday. Starts the season with a 1-1-1 
We are running 2 x 50W & 2 X Talica 25 sets.

Caught at 9.00am at 120m straight out from the bar. Took 2 hours to land on the Talica 25 set on a Bonze lure with light gauge hooks. Nice when a Xmas present does the damage.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:47am
Nice work Joker. 115 to 120 seems to be the magic place again. Maybe a few will turn up a little closer too as the season goes on

-------------

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 12:11pm
đź‘ŤGood to see a few getting caughtđź‘Ť

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:14pm
Well done guys, great to see

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Posted By: Joker
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:15pm
Thanks Geoff, now we can relax a bit. We lost too many early on with the hooks not sticking/dropping etc. On this one we just let it run and cleared everything out of the way before touching the rod and then following retrieving line.
Boat is an FC560c/c that is amazing for fighting fish and the chilly bin seat right in the middle of the cockpit made a wonderful fighting chair. 

Posted By: Blindspot
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:10pm
Hey all, are the Albies in close off the Manukau at the moment?

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm
I had pleasure of meeting forum member Xtoad and his brother Mark today. I can't believe one was given the name Mark when Xtoad got such a cool name.

They had asked for a courtesy weigh for the fattest marlin I've seen in a while. That's my excuse for getting the weight horrifically wrong. I called it for 90 but it went 122kg on the nail. A couple of very nice and thoroughly chuffed guys (is chuffed still a word?)

Anyway, they (used to) say a pic is worth a thousand words. Here it is:

-------------

Posted By: Dunwurkn
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:22pm
Where was this caught smudge, stop keeping all these weigh master secrets to yourself :)

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I had pleasure of meeting forum member Xtoad and his brother Mark today. I can't believe one was given the name Mark when Xtoad got such a cool name.

They had asked for a courtesy weigh for the fattest marlin I've seen in a while. That's my excuse for getting the weight horrifically wrong. I called it for 90 but it went 122kg on the nail. A couple of very nice and thoroughly chuffed guys (is chuffed still a word?)

Anyway, they (used to) say a pic is worth a thousand words. Here it is:

I'll tell you Monday cos I'm fishing Sunday Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:35pm

They had asked for a courtesy weigh for the fattest marlin I've seen in a while. That's my excuse for getting the weight horrifically wrong. I called it for 90 but it went 122kg on the nail. 

You would never make that mistake with a gurnard though would you Smudge.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

They had asked for a courtesy weigh for the fattest marlin I've seen in a while. That's my excuse for getting the weight horrifically wrong. I called it for 90 but it went 122kg on the nail. 

You would never make that mistake with a gurnard though would you Smudge.

Nope I wouldn't. Here's a true story. The first marlin I weighed this year I guessed at 90.4kg. It went 90.2. An hour later I chose 92kg, it went 92.4 Star

Guesses is guesses. Sometimes right sometimes wrong. First time in a while I have been 20kg + out. As Xtoad said it is harder to guess the fat fish and the skinny fish.

Gurnard i can usually get the weight spot on. Freak Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Wefaknis
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:08pm
My guess, 130m behind the bar...Wink

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Wefaknis Wefaknis wrote:

My guess, 130m behind the bar...Wink

Close! Your turn this year Wekafins you deserve one

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 4:52am
Originally posted by Dunwurkn Dunwurkn wrote:

Where was this caught smudge, stop keeping all these weigh master secrets to yourself :)

In the mouth...

Posted By: sid fishus
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 8:10pm
Well Im a gonna head out across the Manukau Bar tomorrow and look around. See ya out there. :)

-------------
I always tell the truth about things that never happened

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 8:28pm
Yip , might sneak out too.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:30pm
Went out yesterday from the manukau .Went out to the 100 meter then out to the 130 in a loop then straight back in .Acres of bait closer in from 60 to 80 meter .Fairly quiet apart from a mako shark that crashed our gig and very impressive crash  it was ,it attacked the lure at speed . Got him away then things were quiet .Lots of boats out as the paddock was choca .Some average behaviour on the boat to boat 63 channel ,normal moron stuff . The temps are some of the hottest iv had out west ,one stage 24c .There is bound to be some strange catches out west this year .Heard one of the boats say there  was some kaipara catches too.Great day out west

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:33pm
Apologies for late post but been on the water east and west for five days straight and not all fishing. Obviously had a great day Thursday finally getting my brothers first marlin. Saw it freejumping from 500m away and managed to catch up to it after 30 or so jumps, first pass in front of it and it hoovered the short corner like a monster from a horror movie. First hook up I’ve ever had from a free jumper. It peeled off 400m and sounded. After two circles around it I realised it hadn’t moved and stopped the boat - nothing happened. Cranked it straight up from 137 straight off the bar and it was stone cold dead. One side was covered in mud still...
Real shame as mark was intent on releasing it. Anyway thought we would get some pics strung up and a huge thanks to Smudge for the courtesy weigh, great to finally meet you after stooging around this forum for so long.
Had a day back out there Friday on a mates boat for a few albies and one seen tailing. Quick two days down the bottom end to keep the boss happy and filled with scallops and I was back out today. Found skippies in 90m just north of bar and bugger me if we couldn’t catch one for an hour. First one in the boat got bridled and chucked back in. While I was searching for a rubber band the bloody thing got eaten out of my hand after all of 30s in the water. Bit of chaos ensued and after coming tight and peeling off 50m it was all over. Things went a bit dead after that and couldn’t find bait anywhere for a few hours. Sank a few (great handle mate) and wandered in to cap off a great few days on the water. Jeez we are lucky.
Stu

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:38pm
PS did anyone else have 24.7 deg water today?

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 6:39am
Yeah Xtoad ,I was going to give my sounder a wack to make sure it was working properly.Some high temps indeed

Posted By: jakepitsville
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 9:22am
really big day for me and another Ahipara boat.  headed south to close to hoki and was not much seen by either of us in the way of Marlin.  

Posted By: CrayZfish
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 10:23am
I heard a rumor a 188kg Stripey was caught off the  Waikato river mouth yesterday, anyone confirm?

-------------
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 10:40am
189kg, yes

-------------

Posted By: Sambosi
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Xtoad Xtoad wrote:

Apologies for late post but been on the water east and west for five days straight and not all fishing. Obviously had a great day Thursday finally getting my brothers first marlin. Saw it freejumping from 500m away and managed to catch up to it after 30 or so jumps, first pass in front of it and it hoovered the short corner like a monster from a horror movie. First hook up I’ve ever had from a free jumper. It peeled off 400m and sounded. After two circles around it I realised it hadn’t moved and stopped the boat - nothing happened. Cranked it straight up from 137 straight off the bar and it was stone cold dead. One side was covered in mud still...
Real shame as mark was intent on releasing it. Anyway thought we would get some pics strung up and a huge thanks to Smudge for the courtesy weigh, great to finally meet you after stooging around this forum for so long.
Had a day back out there Friday on a mates boat for a few albies and one seen tailing. Quick two days down the bottom end to keep the boss happy and filled with scallops and I was back out today. Found skippies in 90m just north of bar and bugger me if we couldn’t catch one for an hour. First one in the boat got bridled and chucked back in. While I was searching for a rubber band the bloody thing got eaten out of my hand after all of 30s in the water. Bit of chaos ensued and after coming tight and peeling off 50m it was all over. Things went a bit dead after that and couldn’t find bait anywhere for a few hours. Sank a few (great handle mate) and wandered in to cap off a great few days on the water. Jeez we are lucky.
Stu

nice work Stu....may need to stay home for a couple of weeks and head west me thinks

Posted By: Skoti
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 6:48pm
Green water out to 95 mtrs behind the bar today .
Around the 100 to 115 was good blue water with temps to 22 , acres of skippies so worked the area on our own for an hour or so before a half dozen boats turned up .
Hard work finding a line before having to give way , some baitballs on the sounder and gannets working them .
Saw a solo guy hook up in our patch so left him to it .
Smudge discovered snorting flies didn't give him the buzz he was after LOL

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 9:46pm
Was great day out there today loads of skippies and hope mega trawler we saw going out as we were were coming in around 3.30pm doesn't take em all. No marlin for us but couple of welcome albies for the bin. Just had some sea chicken and chips, with well deserved rum and coke.
Was sent a photo of one that was harpooned out back of bar today by a spearo. Very nice looking marlin for one of NZs top spearos. Well done that man who has been working up to it for few years.
Bar kicked up a bit on way in with big tide going out, after being very calm this morning.
Some nice water at over 100meter mark. Heard one boat tagged 2 and was on 3rd fish as we were on way in.
Happy days!

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Smudge discovered snorting flies didn't give him the buzz he was after

Always surprises me how far offshore you still get bloody flies, you wouldn't think something that small would go so far.

Posted By: TheBigBrekky
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:12pm
Long time reader, first time having something to post about. Headed out over the Kaipara Bar Sunday lunchtime for an over-nighter. Gear in at 50m and filled up with skippies all the way out to the 100m. Hooked up to a marlin north of the bar about 4pm in 93m. Awesome aerial show, splashing and jumping on a long run. 15 minutes in started to go deep then all of a sudden hook pulled - gutted! Towed the rest of that evening and Monday until lunchtime for nothing else, heard of another boat hooked up though.

Second fish lost for us in 2 trips, gets the blood boiling but keen to get back out and make amends.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:52pm
Awesome work bigbrekky, keep at it, and it will happen bloody awesome coast to fish out there. From a someone who mainly fishes east but scored his first and a few there in years gone by. It's a real privilege to get a day out there... so much more fish. It's an amazingly wild fishery. Usually full on action westside. Reckon on balance your odds are better off that coast... just got to respect it more.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 8:26am
Originally posted by TheBigBrekky TheBigBrekky wrote:

Long time reader, first time having something to post about. Headed out over the Kaipara Bar Sunday lunchtime for an over-nighter. Gear in at 50m and filled up with skippies all the way out to the 100m. Hooked up to a marlin north of the bar about 4pm in 93m. Awesome aerial show, splashing and jumping on a long run. 15 minutes in started to go deep then all of a sudden hook pulled - gutted! Towed the rest of that evening and Monday until lunchtime for nothing else, heard of another boat hooked up though.

Second fish lost for us in 2 trips, gets the blood boiling but keen to get back out and make amends.

Bugger. Did you stay outside the bar overnight? Always wanted to do that.
What lure and hooks were you using?
Stu

Posted By: TheBigBrekky
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 10:34am
Yea stayed outside overnight. Have done it a couple of times now, we stay about 10km north of the bar in about 25m of water. As long as the wind isn't too bad it can be pretty good conditions in there. Also find it is a good way to time bar crossings with incoming tides if the times aren't quite in your favour. Seems to be no shortage of snapper over 10lb there either, so guaranteed to come home with something.

It took a blue, white and silver Black Magic lure, not exactly sure on hook size, but not light gauge. Seemed a bit funny to pull the hook after all the thrashing on the surface (would have thought if it was gonna drop it would have been during that) but guess that's just the way it goes.

Posted By: Cocker
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 5:47am
Yeah but only a shadow of what it was 30 years ago.

Posted By: Millsy
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Cocker Cocker wrote:

Yeah but only a shadow of what it was 30 years ago.

If the coast is only a shadow, inside the harbour is the remains of a shadow. I'd imagine it will have to hit rock bottom before anything if anything is done. In one recent comp not one snapper was brought in and not even a kahawai was caught. That is so sad it's laughable.

I've seen tonnes of dog sharks a week taken out of here for weeks on end. Catches of 2 tonne a week for single operators are not uncommon for a few months then nothing. The red weed is the only thing that stops a complete wipe out.

Not even 30 years ago you could regularly see bottle nose dolphins smashing mullet in the shallows. Ask yourself why you don't now. I guess the dolphins cant get near the fish shops in Glenn Innes. 

There will always be isolated stories of success and social media will always have it's hero's claiming they have spots etc. It keeps people dreaming and sells gear.

Carry on chasing shadows boys and girls, and kidding yourselves this harbour is anything like the other fisheries around NZ. As long as you're having fun.

Posted By: sposman
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 9:40am
The paddock at Huia was locked and had cows grazing yesterday, anyone have any info on this, cheers

Posted By: jackel
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:34am
It may or may not be related to the upcoming fishing comp, possibly trying to preserve the grass area as much as possible. 

http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/westcoaster-comp-at-the-little-huia-boat-ramp_topic127132.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/westcoaster-comp-at-the-little-huia-boat-ramp_topic127132.html

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:07am
Anyone out west yesterday or today?
Looking to head out tomorrow.
Stu

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:30pm
Freaky day off the manukau yesterday. Great bar conditions through SW channel, mackys in close and rain smoothing off the sea all day. Cloud and mist down to sea level much of the day. Went south to37 18 or so, found a good 1 deg edge that ended up being a small patch of warm water about 4nm across and work the edge of it most of the day. Bait all round the edge but didn’t see any marlin. Average creeping down out west...
Got some nice alberts up to 10kg which I havent seen for a while out there.
Didn’t see a boat or land for 8 hr until one of the lads loomed out of the mist 50m away which scared the ****e out of me.
Hope those who went out today had a minter.
Stu

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:09pm
South seems to be the place alright

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 7:03am
Any updates available on the westcoaster

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 7:10am
It was pretty rough  across the coast yesterday. I heard most if not all boats stayed in the harbour or went out and straight back in. Hopefully it will be much better today. It looks good on Swellmap but 1 day isn't much time for it to settle down. Smallish tides so hopefully!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:36am
Good luck all, I’ll be out there tomorrow cleaning up the dregs you’ve left behind...
What vhf channel is the comp using?

Posted By: Cocker
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:19pm
Make sure you miss the Sanford fish bins floating around the 3rd marker if launching from Onehunga. We didn't. Put payed to our day.Bent prop.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Cocker Cocker wrote:

Make sure you miss the Sanford fish bins floating around the 3rd marker if launching from Onehunga. We didn't. Put payed to our day.Bent prop.

That's a disappointing start to the day. Bugger!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:41pm
Skoti and I were there to weigh two fish today. One for a CSFC skipper, entered for the Nationals but his mate wasn't. Guess who caught the fish Ouch. Anyway they were happy Big smile and with a 94kg malrin why wouldn't you be!

Next up was Dunworkin, with a 91kg fish just an hour too late for the Nationals. Still a couple of happy guys with their first fish for the season at 91kg.

Only damper on the day was that ******* The Brown Bomber showed up. When we catch him there will be some trouble!

Right in front of our eyes but no one saw him. Sneaky guy

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:56pm
Bloody Brown Bomber strikes again ! !
What is the world coming to ?

Clap Congrats Chris , nice fish mate Thumbs Up

-------------
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:11pm
So were in your Aunty Skotia persona today or the normal drunk hillbilly one Wink. I keep telling you that Smudge is a bad influence and that nasty brown stuff plays games with your head.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 11:14pm
I have no idea what you're on about Mr Tagit Embarrassed LOL

-------------
COVID is no joke !

Posted By: Dunwurkn
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Bloody Brown Bomber strikes again ! !
What is the world coming to ?

Clap Congrats Chris , nice fish mate Thumbs Up

Thanks Skoti and much appreciated for you and smudge weighing it for me. First weighed marlin so ticking that one off the list!!

As for the brown bomber, I'm onto him, I have now narrowed the list of suspects down, it's only a matter of Time before his true identity is revieled!!!!!!

If anyone's out tomorrow we were fishing 90m straight off port Waikato where we had 3 up at once and two hook ups, sadly lost one when the wire on a bird teaser pulled but stoked we landed the other.

Tonnes of bait in this area.

Cheers

Posted By: RH580ikanui
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:48am
Went out the Kaipara yesterday for my first west coast mission of the season.
Worked our way out to the 250 mark where we found a cruiser on the surface. We were cruising round doing a few puka drops at the time so now lures out. Deployed the dredge and ran up along side it with a Livie ready to deploy... Dredge worked a treat, no hesitation in coming straight into the boat for a look see..checked out the livie ...then ....nothing Oh well..
very cool to see it all happen in such calm conditions.
Heading in for the day came into what was a local gannet convention at 85M..a few work ups happening here and there, followed them south a few clicks before getting to the last one and ran over a nice solid bait ball. 30 seconds later Mr stickface was in the gear saying hello. Had a look at the BM lumo on the long rigger before coming back around to ambush one of my custom made Ron Akana "Big Reidies" on the shot gun.
A solid stripey at least 120kg tagged at 1615 80M straight out the south channel. The third marlin to fall for that lure now.. not bad considering its meant to be a YFT lure. 9/0 Bonze light gauge hooked cleanly in the top jaw

Heaps of bait out in that depth, I wouldnt waste time going deeper unless your after puka too. Sounded like plenty of action in similar depth north side of the harbour too.

-------------
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:55am

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:24pm
Very nice looking lure Phil. See its got the shiny wings on it like some those Hawaiian lures like aloha and that have.
Well done good fish and looks like beautiful day and great colour water.

Posted By: jackel
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 8:42pm
Hi all, a belated fishing report on my first Marlin capture last Sunday. Paul, (skipper) Mike and I headed over the Manukau bar after a early start. It started like many before trolling around ploughing the fields as they say, but there was enough sign to keep us on out toes. None of us had a good nights sleep having been in the Westcoaster Comp the two day previous so I was getting a little weary. Next minute the shotgun screamed into life, I jumped up and got the rod in my gimble as the Marlin headed to the horizon. Being a bit of a Marlin rookie I wasn't used to a hard fighting fish running at a distance from the boat so was juggling keeping tension on the line but avoiding the dreaded high-sticking scenario. I was given plenty of 'pointers' you could say from Paul and Mike as the fish and I took turns gaining line. The fish jumped a couple of times and I thought it looked pretty small but continued to fight it the best I could with my TLD50 which really should have had a service. No excuses there, all other gear on board was up to scratch, but I thought whats the chances of my little TLD hooking a fish? Note to self, always have all your gear in top notch condition. Anyway after about 25 minutes of battling the fish came boatside, it was hooked in the mouth firmly but had become tail wrapped so was pretty much had-it by the time we got to it. We didn't even need to gaff it, it was buggered, but so was I. I'm sure I was 10kg lighter after the fight. We pulled it on board, and I was elated!! We iced it down, looked around for another hour or so hoping to put a tag in a second fish but nothing showed up, so we headed home. We hung it on the scales and it went 99.3kg, so I have the first under my belt and couldn't be happier. Thanks to another generous club member the fish has been smoked and tastes delicious. 

Posted By: KikBac
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 9:51pm
Top report Jackel - it's always a good feeling getting your first

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:19am
Nice one Karl Clap Thumbs Up

-------------
COVID is no joke !

Posted By: silver seas
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:10am
Well done Jackel. Thumbs Up

-------------
[ http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:03pm
Well done jackel, the first one is the best.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:44pm
Yepp great effort Jackel. Great story too 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:26pm
Snuck out through the kaipara again today for a gentleman’s hrs trip.
Had two bites in the same spot as last Sunday’s fish but neither stuck
Great conditions all the same

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:31pm
Any westie reports from last few days? Must have been some good fishing out there...

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:55pm
I weighed a fish for a couple of locals last night. They had three in the gear, hooked up solid on one and it died on them. 119kg Stripey in 116m (from memory) north of the bar. They were alongside another Counties boat hooked up on a bigger fish that was lost after 4 hours - a junior angler - when the mainline parted. also caught yesterday was a 130kg + black in 90m

On Saturday in atrocious conditions one marlin was tagged for Counties and another lost when their leader parted at the boat.

so yeah, sounds like lots of fish around

-------------

Posted By: futech
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:45pm
Anyone else going out over the manukau this sunday?

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by futech futech wrote:

I was looking at the forecast and thinking it looks worth a try, just waiting to hear if I can get crew.

Posted By: futech
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Originally posted by futech futech wrote:

I was looking at the forecast and thinking it looks worth a try, just waiting to hear if I can get crew.

I hear ya. Will be my first game on this season. Amping.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:55pm
Head out west guys. On Sunday my son Arron was aboard OutWest, a 5.8m Allenco boat with my mate Shane.They had 2 marlin around their boat at 70m. A boat snapper fishing in 50m had a school of mahimahi come and hide under their boat.

This afternoon I took a call from a club member who claimed to have boated a 140kg stripey. I took one look at that fish and said nope it's not 140. After a bit if back and forth I estimated 181kg.

Not even! It went a solid 192.2kg. 108m just north of the Port. Only three of us know the lure and I will only say I have one :)

Before you challenge my call on it being a stripey I have literally seen hundreds of them on the scales. One had me confused. In the dark I thought it may have been a small black. It was a small blue.

Now I will put my hand up and say I have only seen one black and two blues.

The fish tonight was a striped marlin and I told the crew I didn't want to get their hopes up too high but it is the biggest I have seen.

I think I was happier than they were Big smile

Ohhh the Lure? A Pakula something :)

Light gauge hooks? Yupp! all legal? Yupp! Club members? Well the skipper was! I so wish it was a Counties fish but we still have a good month to tke that crown from Mercury Bay.

Well done Garry Box and Craig McKie (angler) onboard Get Over It.

One last thing, on their way out this morning they saw a free jumper at 52m. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:13pm
Any pics of that fish Smudge? That's a top Stripey.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 6:04am

-------------

Posted By: coxie
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 7:16am
Beast of a stripey! Congrats to them

Posted By: Fish Addict
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 4:48pm
Well done those guys, very solid fish.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 5:22pm
That’s a cracker. Good to see your average climbing again for guess the weight Smudge.
Stu

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Xtoad Xtoad wrote:

That’s a cracker. Good to see your average climbing again for guess the weight Smudge.
Stu

Hehe yeah two shockers, three within 200g and a heap within 10% Geek I'm pretty good at guessing gurnard weights though Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Te Namu
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 11:46am
Landed a striped marlin in 90m on Friday on Black And Purple fathom lure off long corner. Light gauge hooks.
Almost at Port Waikato.
Didn’t weigh as we launched at Mangere, but it measured 2.4m and reasonably fat so probably 90-100kg.
Was following change of colour on chlorophyll maps that I get from Ocean SST.
Last time I used the same tactic hooked a blue off Aldermans, so will try this again.
First timer angler and 1st for new boat. None of crew had ever been marlin fishing let alone seen one so was a great day to have them onboard.
Put on a great show - lots of aerial.
Stomach full of fresh piper/saury, and caught mid tide which wasn’t in the bite time. It must have been feeding as we drove over it for stomach contents to be so fresh.
Great day out and smoking it at home today.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:24pm
That's very cool Te Namu Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: White snake
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 11:25pm
Nice one Te Namu.sounds like a day on the water no one will forgetđź‘Ť

Print Page | Close Window