Forum Name: Gamefishing Updates and Reports Archive
Forum Description: Key info and threads from previous gamefishing seasons
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126488
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 5:01pm

Topic: Gamefishing Updates - Coromandel to BOP - 17/18
Posted By: mangre 2
Subject: Gamefishing Updates - Coromandel to BOP - 17/18
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:19pm
There is great water coming down through the sea valleysinside Rangitira.  One Big Eye caught out of Tauranga.  not sure were. 

One hook up today for a local Whakatane boat following Dolphin. 

They lost that fish, it was a Tuna.

So get out there, there is heaps of bait from the 100m out to the 400m

Cheers
Paul

-------------
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/

Replies:
Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:27pm
Thanks for the update Paul.... Game-fishing reports, updates, and pics in this thread. Good luck for the  season.

Posted By: wopass
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 12:14pm
gonna throw one in here seeing as its empty...

6th Dec hit out of Whakatane to dust the spiders out and get the monkey off the back

good water at about 150m onwards and work ups as far as the eye could see picked up about 8 albys in the 150-200m area before heading deeper and getting nothing more on the lures. headed to white and picked up a couple nice kings 20 & 25kg then headed home. was a bloody good day considering the forecast was for sheite LOL

Date Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 11:07am
well me and my bro went for another look yesterday out the back of white and out to the Rangatira knolls area searching, was pretty rugged conditions but still came home with 4 monster Albys

a double hook up and boated both

going to get a couple smoked, hope they turn out ok...

edit to add ...

Big thanks to Graham the iceman for hanging round waiting for us to get there for our ice, cheers!!

Posted By: Fizz
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 6:22pm
Good effort guys!

-------------
Boat Name- Solace

Posted By: REIVER
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 6:32pm
Awesome. Good sized albies alright

Posted By: dilbert
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 4:02pm
Nothing nicer than smoked albacore! The best ham in the world!

What did you get them on?

Posted By: bite
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 4:06pm
if u have had them on salt  ice albies are great smoked ,  the smaller ones  , the not worth weighing ones , on landing  i bleed ,de head, gut, de tail,  and you end up with what looks like a lamb shank  ,

i pack  salt ice into the gut and put them in slurry and then salt  ice them down  ,  totally beautiful smoked  and well worth the effort to do albies right 

to bleed, just put a  cut / nick in the blood line under there big fins up by the head , some also put a cut by the tail 

not sure what  others do or think  but  if im freezing albies i have found albacore taste and keep better in the freezer,   if  you smoke them before  freezing them 

Posted By: ninjabert
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 7:08pm
I agree - smoke, then freeze. If freezing fresh, I'd recommend eating within max 2 months.

Posted By: munta snapa hunta
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 10:07am
great big snapa bait

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by dilbert dilbert wrote:

Nothing nicer than smoked albacore! The best ham in the world!

What did you get them on?

most of the tuna spread got hit,
Zuker spanish flag 8"
Zuker zucchini 8" and 6"
large saury jet setter

picking them up from the smoker man this arvo so hope they turn out mint for xmas munching!

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 1:10pm
What direction to head from the Mount tomoro guys?!

-------------
Boat Name- Solace

Posted By: GSPOT
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 2:26pm
West

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 6:33pm
We had a stripey chase a Trev to the boat at Penguin Shoal this time last year.Towed a livey for 5 and hooked a very large mako that ruined the buzz.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 4:43pm
On a bonze angel out from Whangamata and on 15kg.Clap

Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 5:52pm
Hit the back of Whale Island this morning for 2 bins of skippies and a couple of small albacore. Was a bit frantic for a while towing 2 lures solo and both being smacked a number of times Big smile
Plenty of birdlife out there and acres of dolphins for a while. Couldn't buy a bite while the dolphins were around the boat, as soon as I ditched them was back into it.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 8:55pm
Heaps of skippies inside Mayor Is, mate caught 30 yesterday in 80-150m coming back from Mayor to Whangamata

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: Cliff M-F
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 11:16pm
Thanks for the heads up Kevin. Might have to head out there on Tuesday morning before the swell picks up! Can't get out tomorrow due to family commitments (I'm not too keen on a divorce over the Christmas period).

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 7:13pm
A 26kg Shortbill caught today out wide off Whitianga and a treble of YFT down near the Aldies - 25/21/17kg

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 8:06am
nice blue of around 186  weighed at tairua and y/fins been caught 

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 10:23am
Currently tucked into sou east bay- heading out for an early troll in the morning- any advice which way to go? Was thinking towards the aldies

-------------
Boat Name- Solace

Posted By: coroben
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 11:35am
thats where i would be heading^

mercury bay club just posted on facebook a 130kg stripie caught back on aldies

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:39pm
 ocean monarchs fish a stripey of 139 kg  and first marlin of the season for the tauranga sports fishing club congrats to all

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:46pm

Posted By: matto1234
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 6:58pm
22deg water north west of mayor, had to pull the pin early as motor shat itself. Skippys in 70m inside mayor. Quiet otherwise. Boats out of action for the rest of the season so good luck out there. Matt

Posted By: rowboat bob
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 9:30pm
I'm really sorry to hear that Matt, especially after all the work you put into it. 

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by matto1234 matto1234 wrote:

22deg water north west of mayor, had to pull the pin early as motor shat itself. Skippys in 70m inside mayor. Quiet otherwise. Boats out of action for the rest of the season so good luck out there. Matt
Bugga🤔

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: KikBac
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:27pm
2 x yellowfin, a shortbill and a 278kg blue in to Tairua today

Posted By: dilbert
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:38pm
We were out in that 22 degree water NW of Mayor most of today, a few small skippies here and there but no sign of anything more exciting unfortunately...

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:23am
Got a few hours in yesterday- youngest one wasn’t up for the morning lump as we headed toward the aldies so returned him to mum and after a scrub of the side of the boat decided to head out over the knolls had something jump off the bow but couldn’t confirm what and returned to Sou eat with an albie and a skippy.
Will try make it to the aldermans today

-------------
Boat Name- Solace

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Fizz Fizz wrote:

Got a few hours in yesterday- youngest one wasn’t up for the morning lump as we headed toward the aldies so returned him to mum and after a scrub of the side of the boat decided to head out over the knolls had something jump off the bow but couldn’t confirm what and returned to Sou eat with an albie and a skippy.
Will try make it to the aldermans today

quite often short bills will jump close to the boat 

Posted By: E-Fish'n-C
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 1:41pm
There were 5 yellow fin caught out of Whakatane on Saturday.

My wife’s went 26.4 kgs and was caught on 15kg gear and this was her first big game species caught.

You can see the pictures of some of the yellow fin on the Whakatane Sports Club Facebook page.

Posted By: Rich2
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 7:41am
Where abouts did you get the yft? We're there birds and dolphins working? Thanks

Posted By: E-Fish'n-C
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 7:49am
We were just past Roy’s Reef and there were a few birds and dolphins in the area.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:23am
Nice one E- fish'n-c well done. 

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:29am
137.5 kg stripy weighed at Whangamata yesterday, caught just inside Mayor Is in 110m

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: full sacks
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 8:15pm
Just done 2 days, from Tairua south of aldies up to the footprint over night at the mercs and back again so done middle gound ,hook ,footprint ,explosive dump,the pins and the 1000 meter line zig zag into 100 meter for nil saw 11 sunfish and 12 orange kumera floating on the 700 meter line,one blue bust off on ch 61 today and that’s all she wrote, hope the storm pumps it up.some good coloured water and temperature breaks looks good but no good in the scratcher

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 9:42pm
You gave it a go Scratcher.
Never catch anything if you don't give it a crack.đź‘Ť

-------------

Posted By: fisho115
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 10:16pm
Fished out of pauanui new years eve worked middle ground out to 1000m in morning. then headed back into 450m around 11am found some really nice water with half a degree temp break lots of sun fish about 10 minutes later the short corner started screaming as we were clearing gear the long rigger started screaming aswell had a nice double of short bill on after a bit of chaos managed to get my partners first game fish a 22.5kg sb and 5min later had my mates dream fish in the boat 24.8kg sb was a great way to end 2017 see what we can find out there tomorrow.....

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 10:06am
We fished out of matarangi on 30th Dec. Jigged the Cuvier pin for hour in morning for a kingfish in morning before heading towards Hook. Put gear in at 110 meters and within 20 minutes had knockdown on small lumo flea lure on long rigger. Before could reset it, watched something silver flashed across wake and crash across onto lure again then gone. Suspect may have been a shortbill. Then headed out to Ammo dump where water was deep over 1000 meters and 22 degrees and lovely blue. Looked good and saw possible free jumper on way there. And heard of few hook up and captures nearby including a blue caught. Headed back in about 2pm as was fair way out and trolled back some of way back before running for home. Only lumpy water all day was inside mercs but still easily doable in my 16 foot stabi.

Did get to to have some yellowfin sushi on New Years. Eve courtesy of Matarangi boat that got one day we were out and must have generously distributed to various neighbours. Was very nice.

My first time gamefishing out wide of Mercs. Good looking water and certainly give another go sometime... hopefully later in season.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 5:54pm
Been hunting the deep water stuff this week but lots of skippies in 45m straight off the mount

Posted By: Metal Float
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:22pm
I was out from Whakatane on Sat. Skippies at 43m (one lure to a mako), marlin lures in at 60m and out to 100m. Eventually headed back towards Whale and had a strippy interested at 73m but no joy. Didn't find any decent temp breaks. Congrats to the boats that pulled YFT that day. 

Posted By: Whakalocal
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:50am
Sweet good to know I've got the itch I've been camping since boxing day down the line suck when your 400km away and the old man sends a yellow fin pic back today in time for weather to go to crap bugger good to know they are in close this hopefully this blow doesn't screw it up

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 11:58am
Out on the millpond on Tuesday at Whakatane. See and release

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:14pm
Mercury Bay Gamefishing Club Tuna Tournie this weekend is cancelled due to the poor forecast.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by REIVER REIVER wrote:

Out on the millpond on Tuesday at Whakatane. See and release

thats awesum you let it go after seeing it man!!

looks bloody nice that's for sure

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 8:19am
What ya reckon guys? Missed opportunity? Taken 30th December inside the knolls.

-------------
Boat Name- Solace

Posted By: edge01
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 12:33pm
looks like school of bait fish and a couple of predator fish. Big marks. Marlin maybe?

Posted By: kiwiboy_
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 7:51pm
Maybe Albacore . No predators on that screen

-------------
You gotta be in the right place at the right time

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 7:17am
Albacore schools are like vertical cigars - a column from surface down to 50 metres, so not a!bids but could be jack macs and marlin.

-------------

Posted By: Whakalocal
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:16am
Quick run out to the trench last night off whk one word green

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:12pm
stripey for a  big boat out of tauranga yesterday  120 i think , Monday 
 we trolled out to mayor got a about a 300 kg hammer to the boat ,  and pinged it of  about 3/4 hour fight time western side of the island 
 Tuesday   out and to the auldies   for  zero not even a skippy , this morning  pulled baits western side of island for zeros  lots of skippys about mostly inside mayor and i have heard of at lest 5 hammer heads seen  we saw 2 

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:21pm
Spent Sunday to Tuesday dragging lures from mayor to mercs and back. Saw a couple of free jumpers around 450 and a couple of boats hooked up (not sure what to). Water up to 22ish but not blue anywhere. Best action was a gang attack of kings over the penguins.
Stu

Posted By: *stu*
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:10pm
cheers bite. hammers in there are a good sign.

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 6:50am
If you ever want to catch yourself a big hammerhead in NZ the western side of Mayor is the best place. I like them they give a good scrap and are a great fish for inexperienced crews to practice on. We have hooked up to five in a day in that area. I personally think they almost give a better scrap than most stripeys do, they just don't do the aerial display, but they usually do 2 or 3 good runs.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

If you ever want to catch yourself a big hammerhead in NZ the western side of Mayor is the best place. I like them they give a good scrap and are a great fish for inexperienced crews to practice on. We have hooked up to five in a day in that area. I personally think they almost give a better scrap than most stripeys do, they just don't do the aerial display, but they usually do 2 or 3 good runs.

yes they pull line at a good rate ,  and lots of it 

Posted By: RAMCO600
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:06am
They sure do we tagged one on Monday inside mayor est 150kg ,good to test out the gear and hear the tiagra 80 screaming again

Posted By: KikBac
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:40pm
Big 3 days for us. Ammo dump to 800m on Friday. Looked very fishy with inky blue water, 22 deg and birds everywhere. Saw a couple of spearfish jump and a large tuna break the surface but no result. In closer to the Hook the water was greenish and 21 deg. Saturday 400m to the Middle ground and South to the Aldies. Water was blue and 21.8 deg but devoid of life. Found a 0.5 deg temperature break in 160m behind the Aldies and dropped a live bait. Hooked into a feisty mako that was tagged and sent on it's way. Sunday headed out to 200m outside the Aldies and found blue water and 21.8 deg. Saw 2 x free jumpers. Dropped a live bait in the general area but could not get a bite. So a lot of miles for no fish. The radio was quiet, only 2 x tuna and 1 x marlin caught for the whole 3 days so we were not the only ones who struggled.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 1:03pm
350.2 kg blue  for ocean monarch, and tauranga sports fishing club   

Posted By: biggear
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:41pm
At last count we are over 140 hours for this season with one strike on the first weekend of December (Bigeye) which we lost after 25mins. Other than that it has been dead as can be. So many boats trying for very few fish.

-------------
Dont let the grey hair fool you!

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:55pm
You'll probably have better luck in Feb when the Marlin season starts Stu Wink Are you remembering to run an ugly pink thing that reminds you of R Bull?

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:04pm
Considering how many more fishing days there have been this year and catch rates, to this stage of the season . It’s been as productive as an election . That old saying looks good but can’t cook eggs , always an up side haven’t got people whining about kill ratio.. warriors man you keyboard ...

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:06am
Whats happening out there guys? Think mayor might be a go this weekend.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 10:29pm
Had a hit and lost it in 400m north of mayor. Looked like a solid fish. Small skippys in about 60m inside mayor but not interested in lures.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 10:52pm
Bit more action today from what was on the wireless 19 hookups 9 I think t and r or boated we had a shot just short of the hook on Murphs vixen but fell off after beating the kids we carried on,the explosive dump and surrounding area was getting plenty of tusks up.. made our way back into the pins on the horse shoe 100 a stripy bit the vixen again,the lure looks like Jacinda had given it a b.j .In short my 13 year old nephew did the job, he said it’s harder than on play station, when it fell on the gaff we decided it was going to die so eating it was the way we rolled,cut it up in the byne ready for the smoker, kids were happy apart from the beating end of transmission ..

Posted By: salty69
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 5:28pm
Primo fella. Another 'tell it as it is' post. đź‘Ť

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

You'll probably have better luck in Feb when the Marlin season starts Stu Wink Are you remembering to run an ugly pink thing that reminds you of R Bull?

Aw Gawd is that the Boulder Stink Pink toilet cleaner extraodinaire, run on the long rigger?

Thought that got buried on the, What Happens On Tour Innocence forum threadLOLEmbarrassed

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 4:55pm

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 4:56pm

team bandit doing it for tauranga in the nationals blue 191 kg and 2t/r stripeys 

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Aw Gawd is that the Boulder Stink Pink toilet cleaner extraodinaire, run on the long rigger?

Thought that got buried on the, What Happens On Tour Innocence forum threadLOLEmbarrassed

Please do not confuse the Toilet Brush with the Stink Pink. The toilet brush is a lure of great pedigree and eminence that makes the shotgun position a vision of beauty. Stink Pink however is a classless thing that we occasionally run just to prove that Marlin really do have no taste. 

Posted By: BlindFishingNZ
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:05pm
OK, so maybe have a chance to win a wild card draw in this years one base, chances are like 1 in 2, almost, but I don't have a boat!

I've got rods, lures, teasers etc, but no boat, and only limited crew!

I'm just wondering if someone would like a crack at the one base, purely just for fun, obviously, lots of costs involved, but all that can e discussed privately if someone is interested, let me know?

Cheers,

Tony

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:42pm
bandit has tagged released a blue 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 6:16pm
Any action round mayor at the moment people?

-------------
Boat Name- Solace

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:06pm
i will tell you after the one base WinkClapClap

lets go and do it 

Posted By: Betty Boop
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 7:02pm
What's happening Nor-west of Mayor towards Waihi currently?...I'll be carpeting the vicinity tomorrow......solo and praying [IMG]

-------------
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 4:13pm
4 days no fish fish  no work ups untill we got back to mayor , we went wife of the island to wide of the alderman's  for 3 days  except 1 marko that spat  lure at the boat on day 4  for no reason , that was big days  long way for no fish 

if you want my take go west of the  south western  side the island  the only life we saw was in there 

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 5:46pm
Tow down to Waihau Bay, mate tagged one yesterday and dropped a double of stripeys this morning.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 10:58pm
If any of you guys hooked up today in close to the south western side of mayor island today well done!
we got there and immediately noticed all the action that was happening. 
Try as we might no fish for us today. 

-------------
Boat Name- Solace

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:04am
Anybody been getting any skippies out of Whanga or Tauranga in last week or so

-------------

Posted By: Reel Hot
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 12:09pm
wet out of  tauranga yesterday steamed out to 700m line east of mayor put lures in found heaps of bait and birds at 800m .We hooked up to a very solid fish at 11.50am and wife played fish for 45mins got fish to boat and pulled the hook while leadering it was a good size blue fin so they are out of mayor just need to spend a bit of time and you might get lucky.

Print Page | Close Window