Print Page | Close Window

Coastguard - feedback on membership please

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126214
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:09am

Topic: Coastguard - feedback on membership please
Posted By: Grunta
Subject: Coastguard - feedback on membership please
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:56pm
A Coastguard membership is arguably an essential item if you're heading out on the briny.

We've been talking to our mates at Northern Regional Coastguard and they are really keen to get some feedback from our forum members.

If you have a membership, for how long and the benefits you see in having it?

If you don't have a membership they'd be interested to know if you're thinking about getting one & if you have any questions about membership.

Finally, anyone who's actually been assisted by the Coastguard, they'd love to hear your stories in this thread.

Replies:
Posted By: macka2012
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:06pm
Over 8 years, but hey as a volunteer for them I obviously see the value in it!

Posted By: reel crayze
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:11pm
Coastguard membership... bit like a Locator beacon... Hope i never have to use them, although my PLB has been set off 2x. I have been a CG member for 2 years as a bit of my boating recently has been off shore,  and had a PLB for 20 ? years.

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:13pm
3 years & wouldn't be without it.
Big respect for Coastguard volunteers.
Big smile

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:34pm
Well Grant I have used their services. Been a member ,still a member,took wife out fishing about 18 months ago and the motor stopped pumping water.(found spare impeller after the event)called coastguard up,they arrived within a hour and towed us from Mellons Bay up the tamiki river to PT England.Then they came along side and barged us to our mooring in panmure. Well worth the $115 membership,which is valid for to use on anyone elses vessel I may be onboard and require assistance.

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: waynorth
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:55pm
Member for 10 (?) years. I've never needed their rescue service, and hopefully never will, but that's fine - nice to know they will be there if I ever need them, even if I'm not on my own boat. Membership is a worthy annual donation to a great organisation (with the benefit of avoiding a tow home fee if you do need them Wink)  

-------------
treat fish like fish

Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:03pm
Member for years not used for breakdowns yet but appreciate peace of mind and used trip report for bar crossings a lot - big thumbs up from me Thumbs Up!

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: like_to_strike
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:09pm
I brought my membership 2 weeks before finalizing the purchase of my first boat so ive been a member for 11 months, obviously i see it as an essential and once i have the spare cash ill definitely be buying a lifetime membership! 

whether i ever use them or not im happy to donate to coast guard.  

Posted By: Clutch
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:14pm
I have always been a member until a year ago and I forgot to renew my membership on time. I wanted to go fishing one day and hoped I could update my membership before I headed out. I tried to do do it online but was unable to as my membership had expired by a month. Called their number and they said I had to call back after 8.30 or 9am. Really in this day and age I cant resubscribe over the internet. Very poor service.

Posted By: salty69
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:29pm
Been a member at Pauanui Tairua for 8 years and am more than happy to pay the annual fee. They provide an outstanding serbice and I wouldn't consider heading out without giving them a call.
However I don't wear my life jacket as much as I should and often get a tune up from the more sensible younger members of the crew.

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:01pm
Hi Grunta,
I recently purchased my first boat and am definitely considering joining - I heard an ad on the radio last night (Radio Sport) on the way home, and it sounds like a good deal.
I plan to do a day skipper's course, even though I've been going out on other people's boats for years and I'm relatively familiar with the boating rules etc. I'm sure I will learn something.
I often see the volunteers training or doing real missions out from Howick Beach and I think they do a great job, often a thankless one at times, i'm sure.
I just wish they had the legal teeth to nail the idiot jetskiers and water ski boaties in our area as well - or maybe bow-mounted water cannons!!

TTK

Posted By: full sacks
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:25pm
As a game fisher person find coastguard useless as the 12 mile thingy makes it a waste of time, had to deal with this last year off the manakau had to fart arse around waiting for a mate who was a member to organise a tow WHAT A JOKE . if it costs to much give the opportunity to get cover for it ....I'm not paying to cover retards falling out of duck punts.....

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Clutch Clutch wrote:

I have always been a member until a year ago and I forgot to renew my membership on time. I wanted to go fishing one day and hoped I could update my membership before I headed out. I tried to do do it online but was unable to as my membership had expired by a month. Called their number and they said I had to call back after 8.30 or 9am. Really in this day and age I cant resubscribe over the internet. Very poor service.
had same issue last january,joined ad a new member payment went through no problem,new years day,sorted it out with them a day later and they transferred over to my old membership,as long as you paid your covered.

-------------

Posted By: crabman
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:42pm

full sacks View Drop Down 
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=84465" rel="nofollow -
-
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/search_form.asp?USR=full+sacks" rel="nofollow -
-

Platinum 
Platinum 

As a game fisher person find coastguard useless as the 12 mile thingy makes it a waste of time, had to deal with this last year off the manakau had to fart arse around waiting for a mate who was a member to organise a tow WHAT A JOKE . if it costs to much give the opportunity to get cover for it ....I'm not paying to cover retards falling out of duck punts.....
Interesting comment, guess your 1st boat must have been an offshore weapon and you possessed all of your knowledge from day 1 ?

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by full sacks full sacks wrote:

....I'm not paying to cover retards falling out of duck punts.....

charming...

Posted By: jackel
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:16pm
Ive been a member for probably 7 years plus. I have been towed once (broken steering cable) and was on-board a mates boat who received assistance all within a one week period. Would not be without the membership, I support most of their raffles also. The recent addition of a free/cheap dayskipper makes the whole thing a no-brainer really the membership is such good value. As said here before big ups to the men and woman who put their lives in danger to rescue us. 

Full sacks you should check the 12mile 'rule' I dont think it is as black and white as it may appear. The only suggestion I could make in terms of improvemnt would be the ability to buy the raffle tickets online and/or have them for sale around the community/malls etc. 

Posted By: Stonefish
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:46pm
Been a member for 2 years, haven't needed them yet but took advantage of the Day Skippers course discount etc.

Would be good to be able to buy raffle tickets online.

Here's a link outlining the T&C's around assistance, relevant bits on page 4.
https://www.coastguard.nz/media/418284/tc-national-v6.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://www.coastguard.nz/media/418284/tc-national-v6.pdf

-------------
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"

Posted By: muchalls
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:15pm
Member since I first got a boat (6 years?)
Never had cause to use it, but did get a free ride from Coastguard back when the Canterbury was sunk......accompanied a poorly person back to Paihia then back to watch the boat sink.
Fully support them, and, 12 miles? How far should they go if you break down ???

Posted By: Sufishent
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:26am
Became a member when I bought my boat 12 years ago - would not consider going out without it. Never had to use it and hope I never do. 

-------------
You can never have enough fishing tackle

Posted By: Don18025
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:57am
I have been a member of Northern Region Coastguard for the past 14 years and recently purchased the 3 year membership. 
Before that I had been a regular participant in their excellent training courses, VHF, Boatmasters to Oceans Yachtmaster (Cert #192). 
Earlier this year they were very helpful in obtaining my RYA CEVNI International Certificate for Operator of Pleasure Craft for Inland and Coastal Waters - yes we went cruising on the canals and rivers of Europe. Coastguard and RYA was a ****e fight relationship to work through - our Coastguard is a much more sensible training organisation to work with - good folk at HQ.

I have been a member of Whitianga Coast guard as well as Northern Region. But now everything is run through Auckland, so being a joint member is no longer necessary.
So I am presently reconsidering this membership. 
I remain a member of Barrier Radio - Emmy does a really great service. Nothing like dealing with the locals.

I have never ever called up and asked for a tow. And it is my intention that this should never happen - touch wood -  but you need to drive a diesel powered wooden boat.

Posted By: RaggedJoe
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:05am
Member for four years and have not needed assistance so far. Have used for bar crossing trip reports. Would not be without the membership, happy to pay to support the service.

Posted By: pompey
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:17am
Member for 5 years and had to be towed once. Excellent service and job. Couldn't fault the guys here in KERIKERI.

Posted By: #FLETCH
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:20am
Member for 6 years and never used them. Have helped more people than I care to remember though, and considering my vessel is worth not even a quarter of the value of the people I help it surprises me how many dont have it.

Im with fulls sacks though, why not offer a service outside the 12 mile, just have a rate/membership fee that is applicable? 

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:32am
1st joined and did skippers back in the 70s.. from memory was called something else back then.
Sold the boat ..
Rer joined about 6yrs ago.
 We brought the boat, and started using it before the 1st service thu booked in.
Had the check in the truck to drop into the local CG branch that evening on the way home.. headed out. Battery wasnt holding full charge , needed a tow back from top end of Waiheke channel. Gave them the check, then dropped a couple boxes off for the social club fridge.
 Good bunch of guys, sort of compare them to a volunteer fireman crew, something comes up, drop everything and out.

They have approached us out on the water several times over the yrs.. looking for boats that have been reported in need....often turns out the boat description is way off, and/ or location.

An organisation like the fire service, ambulance, surf life saving, even AA.
All except CG have core professional on the front line and government funding.

Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:16am
Been a member for more than i can remember, possibly 20+ years.
Thankfully never needed them and have always suggested to friends they should join if they have a boat or partake in water activity.
Was even asked to partake in a training exercise with the Howick section which had both us and the Coastguard learning more.
Done courses both with the Coastguard and others over the years and the only comment is that for the experienced boatie the Coastguard courses lacked some in depth training.

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 12:21pm
Some great comments - a common thread is that Coastguard's a highly respected organisation by forum members and Fishing.net.nz site visitors.

They do a great job - and a membership is great safety insurance. Clutch mentioned he'd like to https://www.coastguard.nz/membership/join-online/?type=renew" rel="nofollow - renew their membership on-line - you can do that https://www.coastguard.nz/membership/join-online/?type=renew" rel="nofollow - - the nowcasting app . Given our weather is so changeable, to be able to see how things are trending in real time is more than handy.

Posted By: Stonefish
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by #FLETCH #FLETCH wrote:

Member for 6 years and never used them. Have helped more people than I care to remember though, and considering my vessel is worth not even a quarter of the value of the people I help it surprises me how many dont have it.

Im with fulls sacks though, why not offer a service outside the 12 mile, just have a rate/membership fee that is applicable? 

Reading the conditions it states that they're not authorised to operate outside of the 12 mile limit, I suppose its down to regulations etc and probably safety for the coastguard service. 

They do say that they will assist in coordinating a "vessel of opportunity" to help. They have to draw a line somewhere, and I imagine it may involve the Navy if too far out, although it sounds like some people expect to be rescued half way to Australia for their $115. 

-------------
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"

Posted By: Fizz
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:19pm
About five years now- had two assists with engine issues.
First one was actually out on friends new boat which expired- towed into Whitianga. Pretty quick simple and exercise.
Second one was up in Auckland with son for the week of school holidays and the starter failed, when the rescue guys arrived I may have set them up a bit telling my 6 year old to ask if he could ride with them back.... he chewed their ears off the whole time!
Both experiences were fine.
Wouldn’t be without them.

-------------
Boat Name- Solace

Posted By: mike_e
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:10pm
Been a member here 4 years, never needed assistance and long may that be the case. But it does give me piece of mind when I'm out and about.
Apart from that they do a great job

-------------
If you can go home and pull a $100 bill out , and flush it down the toilet, and if that doesn't bother you, then go ahead and buy a boat

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:14pm
a couple young guys got towed from gannet rock to kkb $800 non members

-------------

Posted By: Hookedline&sinker
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:59pm
I bought our first boat last October. Did Day skippers shortly after as thought it more important than cguard. Like doing driving lessons before joining AA. Then found out if I did it the other way I would have got a discount. Not impressed.

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:25pm
I treat it like insurance, have had it for like 10 years now, but have never had to use their services, hope I never will. 

But guaranteed that when I do let the membership lapse, I'll need it.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:43pm
Member for 4 years i think

Benefits:

1) I might need their help
2) I like knowing they are there whether or not i need their help
3) They do a great job and need support, even if I never need their help

Great job, guys.

Posted By: feijoa
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:28pm
yep since i had my first boat which was like 2009? or so. almost 10 years.

been towed once when the motor (2 stroke 40hp yammy on my first ever boat) wouldn't start. Wasn't the battery, something in the motor went.

Towed from tiri channel to one of the bays.

Honestly what I remember most is how good the guys on board were, just friendly as, no airs about them, just happy to help, drop us off, friendly wave and gone

worth every penny

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:52am
Hi
Firstly would like to qualify that I hold the greatest respect for the coastguard & the guys that run it.

Nevertheless have a couple of minor concerns that I would like to discuss in confidence rather than post to the forum where they might be perceived by some to be negative comments.

Grunta .... is there some way of contacting the gentlemen from the CG that are mentioned in order to "speak" in private ?

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Apex Predator
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:27am
Member for 17 years, initially Napier (Central region?) and now northern region and never needed the service but appreciate the peace of mind that being a member provides.  Volunteer for last 4 years, operational crew for last 3.

I think that most would be surprised at the amount of training required to become an operational crew member.  The upside is that this training is really interesting and beneficial (once you get through the mundane stuff).  Courses like Boatmaster and marine medic etc are really good, VHF is technically a legal requirement for anyone who uses their radio.  Then you can do the really neat stuff like GPS, Radar, night navigation, advanced helming/heavy weather work etc and can move on to real qualifications that can transfer into the real world if that's the way you want to go.  And there is no personal cost apart from your own time.  If this interests you then talk to your local unit - I certainly don't regret it.

Regarding the 12 mile rule this is not CG's fault - it is this pc world we live in that restricts what we are able to do.  There is a lot of compliance, all the boats are in MOSS, etc. and it is largely administered by unpaid volunteers.  It's also more of a west coast problem because there is a lot more boating inside the 12nm line on the east coast - the whole HG is covered including out to Barrier/Mokes for example.

Posted By: Fishful Thinking
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:51am
Member for 20 years approx, did day Skipper back then, never had to call on them at this stage. It is a bit like underwear you put on once a year, just do it because you do.

-------------
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma

Posted By: CrayZfish
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:15pm
Member as long as i have owned a boat 12 years and not needed assistance yet (touch wood). I was kindly left a small amount of inheritance from my grandmother and recently brought the lifetime membership. It is great to know i will always have CG there for me and my kids, and adds to the significance of having my boat named after my grandfather who got all us kids into fishing. So is quite a nice thought really.

-------------
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:46pm
Really got to dig deep for a complaint.
 This is the best I can do.
 I renew each year at the boat show...the boat show is not always on the same date, Thin it was last yr for a about a week, membership had expired..

Damn thats more The boat organisers schedule complaint..

Posted By: Coastguard Northern Region
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Hi Grunta,
I recently purchased my first boat and am definitely considering joining - I heard an ad on the radio last night (Radio Sport) on the way home, and it sounds like a good deal.
I plan to do a day skipper's course, even though I've been going out on other people's boats for years and I'm relatively familiar with the boating rules etc. I'm sure I will learn something.
I often see the volunteers training or doing real missions out from Howick Beach and I think they do a great job, often a thankless one at times, i'm sure.
I just wish they had the legal teeth to nail the idiot jetskiers and water ski boaties in our area as well - or maybe bow-mounted water cannons!!

TTK

Hey The Tamure Kid,

Great that you heard our ad, membership is only $115 and as a new member you get $100 off a day skipper course so it's basically free! Big smile

As the Boatie's Best Mate we're the good guys who want to make sure your boating is safe and happy, the Harbourmaster do the enforcement side. You can get in touch with them on  mailto:[email protected] - [email protected] if you're having an ongoing issue in your area.

Cheers!
The Coastguard team

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Hookedline&sinker Hookedline&sinker wrote:

I bought our first boat last October. Did Day skippers shortly after as thought it more important than cguard. Like doing driving lessons before joining AA. Then found out if I did it the other way I would have got a discount. Not impressed.

Hi Hookedline&sinker,

Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate knowing where we're not doing as well as we could be. You should have been told when you signed up for the course that getting a membership first would get you a discount, I'm going to the relevant team about this. You can still get a 15% discount off our other education courses as a member if you're interested in doing anything more.

Good on you for being so proactive about doing the course though!

Cheers,

The Coastguard Team

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Hi
Firstly would like to qualify that I hold the greatest respect for the coastguard & the guys that run it.

Nevertheless have a couple of minor concerns that I would like to discuss in confidence rather than post to the forum where they might be perceived by some to be negative comments.

Grunta .... is there some way of contacting the gentlemen from the CG that are mentioned in order to "speak" in private ?

Hi Bazza,

We're always keen to hear from members, please give us a call on 09 303 9343 or email [email protected] and we'll see what we can do.

Cheers,

The Coastguard team (both ladies and gentlemen Wink)

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:52pm
I'm not sure how long I've been a member for. I let it lapse recently for a couple of months for some odd reason, but all up and running again now. I wouldn't want to be without it. The only time I have used Coastguard was about 20 years ago - before I joined up. I think the tow cost me about $100 or something.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Really got to dig deep for a complaint.
 This is the best I can do.
 I renew each year at the boat show...the boat show is not always on the same date, Thin it was last yr for a about a week, membership had expired..

Damn thats more The boat organisers schedule complaint..

Hey Steps,

We're doing alright if that's the worst you can do! We'll cover you for a month after your expiry date to give you a chance to renew, so as long as they keep the boat show in the same month you're all good Big smile

Cheers,
The Coastguard team

Posted By: Mossy
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 3:17pm
I've been a member for 4 or 5 years now and will happily continue to renew each year. So far I haven't needed a tow, but I always enjoy filing a trip report with the friendly local team and the peace of mind for me is priceless. Good job.

Quick question though: I've always assumed that, as I'm a member of the local Tauranga CG, that I'm only entitled to free assistance in local waters. After reading other comments in this thread, I suspect I may be wrong and qualify for assistance in most NZ waters - ie I'm actually part of the national CG. Is that correct or have i got my wires crossed? Cheers.

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 3:18pm
I have been a member of the Tauranga Coast Guard for at least 10 years now, never had to use them yet thankfully, buit great to know they are there if I need them when fishing within 12 mils of land. Bit concerned that they are not allowed to go outside 12 mile limit.

We were off Whitianga earlier this year when a boat called in to say they were broken down out on the Ohena Knoll which is about 50 miles off Whitianga and probably 30 miles off the back of Red Mercury (nearest bit of land). He was a member of the Coastguard but as he was outside 12 mile limit he had to get another boat to tow him back to within 12 miles of Red Mercury so they could bring him in the rest of the way. Bit of a fiasco really.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Snuffit.
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 3:38pm
I'm a member and wouldn't be without it. Yeah I got a tow after my motor was serviced by a business that shall remain nameless and they did something unmentionable. Quite a crack up being in a wee 4.3m being towed behind the coastguard beast!! Smoothest ride ever in the wee tin! Big smile

-------------
You cant eat my toast fish

Posted By: Don18025
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

I have been a member of the Tauranga Coast Guard for at least 10 years now, never had to use them yet thankfully, buit great to know they are there if I need them when fishing within 12 mils of land. Bit concerned that they are not allowed to go outside 12 mile limit.

We were off Whitianga earlier this year when a boat called in to say they were broken down out on the Ohena Knoll which is about 50 miles off Whitianga and probably 30 miles off the back of Red Mercury (nearest bit of land). He was a member of the Coastguard but as he was outside 12 mile limit he had to get another boat to tow him back to within 12 miles of Red Mercury so they could bring him in the rest of the way. Bit of a fiasco really.

Marligator, we were out North of Mokohinaus last summer when a coast guard member trailer boat broke down beyond the Barrier Knolls. Fortunately a local boat fishing beyond them agreed to tow them into the Barrier. They met the Auckland Coastguard boat at the Needles that had come all the way from Auckland to tow them back to their base. 12 mile limit or not, the fact that that the Coastguard came all that distance to bring them home was significant. Good news is that new coastguard crew have been trained and they have a new boat at the Barrier for this summer.

Posted By: Betty Boop
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:53pm
I've been a member aproximatly 20years and towed once last season, when I spun a propeller boss vicinity of Karewa Island on dusk in 20knots.
After 1.5hr wait due to multiple other rescues in progress, I was collected and deposited back to Sulphur Point ramp   with absolute professionalism.
Whilst waiting Tect rescue kept in radio contact every 10mins.
I will always be a Coastguard supporter. đź–’

-------------
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:43pm
I better ad that although I have only had one tow which was as a non member I use nowcasting frequently. I also do my bar crossing reports through Coastguard. While some may think $115 is a waste of money for those of us that have never needed a tow, I'd like to remind those people that Coastguard is way more than that. Nowcasting, TR's, bar crossing reports, searches, recovery, training & practice. Pretty awesome. Keep up the good work Coastguard

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:02pm

Thanks so much to everyone for your responses so far, we're stoked that most people are pretty happy with what we're doing and appreciate all your feedback.

A few people have mentioned the 12NM limit, to let everyone know exactly why this is there - our vessels and masters qualifications are surveyed to the 12NM limit. In the situation where a vessel is in distress or a more urgent situation we would naturally involve Police or the RCCNZ who would assess the situation and task the appropriate resource, this may be a Coastguard  rescue vessel or another appropriate resource.

If you contact us for non-urgent assistance outside of the 12NM limit we do have a process in place and do what we can to help, from all stations broadcasts to involving other agencies.

We appreciate your frustration but also need to consider the impact of sending a resource well off the coast leaving our primary area of responsibility exposed, and potentially putting other lives at risk. Hopefully that sheds a bit of light, and thanks again everyone.

Posted By: MB
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:24pm
I've just renewed after my first year of membership. Had the ski 18 months before I joined which was a bit daft. I see it as an insurance policy in the event of a breakdown. Happy to pay the relatively small amount that membership costs. 

Didn't know about the 12NM thing. Just looked on the charts and that just about covers the places I go on the ski.

Posted By: Mr Moritz
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:46pm
Yep I'm a member..

Sure beats having to swim home.

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:22pm
Been a member for a very long time and this will continue as long as I am boating. First Whangarei coastguard and when they were forced to amalgamate with national coastguard price doubled. Like fullsacks I believe we pay for idiots and services away from our region. Maybe a you're a dick charge should be added to some "rescues". Price is rather steep I feel. looks like i'm paying extra so others can have a discount on courses too. I fish mostly outside the 12 mile. This "Rule" is an arse. Don't mind an extra charge if you're outside (dependent on years of membership) and distance, but get up to date, many more vessels are outside the 12 mile these days than when the limit was set. Wake up and get it changed. Excuses like we need to be closer to the bulk of the vessels doesn't cut it with me sorry. Been towed in once when the gearbox shat it's self but used the local VHF and pan pan to get a tow. I also get rather annoyed when a vessel wants assistance and even though the message is being recorded and we can all hear them as clear as daylight they are forced to repeat themselves over and over and over again. Anyone else wonder WTF? 
Another gripe is Coastguard will not (in my experience) use the local channel to advise other vessels that may be in the area and could assist. I've been out and about near enough to help but completely unaware as I'm on the local boating not coastguard or channel 16. I don't see why a transmission on the local Channel couldn't be made even if it was just to advise there is a response in progress on Ch XX. 
Does Russell Radio (CH63) get any funding as no coastguard in the B.O.I.? Other areas not covered? 
Well that's off my chest. They do a great job and no doubt at all they save lives. 

Posted By: Clutch
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Some great comments - a common thread is that Coastguard's a highly respected organisation by forum members and Fishing.net.nz site visitors.

They do a great job - and a membership is great safety insurance. Clutch mentioned he'd like to https://www.coastguard.nz/membership/join-online/?type=renew" rel="nofollow - renew their membership on-line - you can do that https://www.coastguard.nz/membership/join-online/?type=renew" rel="nofollow - - the nowcasting app . Given our weather is so changeable, to be able to see how things are trending in real time is more than handy.

Yes Grunta new members can sign up online but if you let your membership expire at all you have to call and talk to someone.

So if I want to go fishing at 6am and decide to renew my membership online before I head out I am out of luck.
I should be just like your rego you just pay to catch up.....seems so easy to me but no option available.

Posted By: MacSkipper
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:12am
Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Another gripe is Coastguard will not (in my experience) use the local channel to advise other vessels that may be in the area and could assist. I've been out and about near enough to help but completely unaware as I'm on the local boating not coastguard or channel 16. I don't see why a transmission on the local Channel couldn't be made even if it was just to advise there is a response in progress on Ch XX.  
I was over Manukau Bar once and a boat broke down coming in - Coastguard put a call out over local channel and a boatie gave them a tow coming in.  We were looking for the boat and saw it being towed.

-------------
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 8:35am
One of the most frustrating things with virtually all Govt regulations is that once written it is just about impossible to ever get them changed as time and practices moves on, so they stay relevant. The only time they change quickly is if they want money from you or to restrict you even further.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:08am
So if I want to go fishing at 6am and decide to renew my membership online before I head out I am out of luck.
I should be just like your rego you just pay to catch up.....seems so easy to me but no option available.

From CG post above...

We'll cover you for a month after your expiry date to give you a chance to renew, so as long as they keep the boat show in the same month you're all good Big smile

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:40am
Can't see why people got emotional about the 12 mile thing as krow said the amount of boats working outside this area is massive now,you pay for all the safety gear etc pay your membership and someone with none of this gets looked after?????one thing i know is all boats breakdown just can't tell you when, why so much emotion?????

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:14pm
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but well done on todays rescue from Coastguard Tutukaka, 

I can't believe two wakas would paddle out in 37-44knt windsOuch

At 0933 this morning, Northland SAR Police advised the Coastguard Operations Centre of two Waka Ama breaking up on rocks near Tutukaka Harbour, with 10 people in the water.

The Operations Centre urgently paged Tutukaka Rescue and broadcast a distress relay on local VHF channels, which was heard by a nearby boatie who offered to assist.

The nearby boat helped pull four of the people out of the water, while a couple of others swum ashore. Tutukaka Rescue arrived on scene minutes later, pulling the remaining crew from the water – and discovering that there had actually been 11 people in need, not 10. Thankfully, all had been wearing lifejackets.

An ambulance met the crew and their rescuers at the  https://www.facebook.com/wdsac/?fref=mentions" rel="nofollow - Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers Club  which had opened their doors to allow triage of the Waka Ama crews, some of whom appeared to be suffering hypothermia and had lacerations.

While the Waka are both still on the rocks, everyone is now back on shore safe and sound– a big thanks for the huge community teamwork. A great result!

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:33pm
I see plenty of jet ski duck boats etc out there doing it, 30 years ago hardly a boat with technology more people etc . Things have changed hope this helps

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but well done on todays rescue from Coastguard Tutukaka, 

I can't believe two wakas would paddle out in 37-44knt windsOuch

<p style="margin: 1em 0px 0px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb102, 102, 102;">At 0933 this morning, Northland SAR Police advised the Coastguard Operations Centre of two Waka Ama breaking up on rocks near Tutukaka Harbour, with 10 people i<span ="text_exposed_show" style="display: inline; font-family: inherit;">n the water.</span>

<div ="text_exposed_show" style="display: inline; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb102, 102, 102;"><p style="margin: 1em 0px; font-family: inherit;">The Operations Centre urgently paged Tutukaka Rescue and broadcast a distress relay on local VHF channels, which was heard by a nearby boatie who offered to assist.

<p style="margin: 1em 0px; font-family: inherit;">The nearby boat helped pull four of the people out of the water, while a couple of others swum ashore. Tutukaka Rescue arrived on scene minutes later, pulling the remaining crew from the water – and discovering that there had actually been 11 people in need, not 10. Thankfully, all had been wearing lifejackets.

<p style="margin: 1em 0px; font-family: inherit;">An ambulance met the crew and their rescuers at the  https://www.facebook.com/wdsac/?fref=mentions" rel="nofollow - Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers Club  which had opened their doors to allow triage of the Waka Ama crews, some of whom appeared to be suffering hypothermia and had lacerations.

<p style="margin: 1em 0px 0px; font-family: inherit;">While the Waka are both still on the rocks, everyone is now back on shore safe and sound– a big thanks for the huge community teamwork. A great result!

Great that everyone is now safe, but really!!!!
Sounds like an example of poor decision making and then others having to clean the mess up in crap conditions.

Posted By: fish-feeder
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 7:15pm
I don't believe the waka story,those things are safe as,they got here hundreds of years ago carrying cargo and many people. Or maybe they didn't.

-------------
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

I don't believe the waka story,those things are safe as,they got here hundreds of years ago carrying cargo and many people. Or maybe they didn't.
They were seaman a hundred years ago.
http://www.sportfishing.co.nz

https://facebook.com/839031196122057" rel="nofollow - Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers Club shared http://facebook.com/350714910554" rel="nofollow - Coastguard Northern Region 's post.

5 hours ago

https://facebook.com/839031196122057" rel="nofollow">Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers Club

At 0933 this morning, Northland SAR Police advised the Coastguard Operations Centre of two Waka Ama breaking up on rocks near Tutukaka Harbour, with 10 people in the water.

The Operations Centre urgently paged Tutukaka Rescue and broadcast a distress relay on local VHF channels, which was heard by a nearby boatie who offered to assist.

The nearby boat helped pull four of the people out of the water, while a couple of others swum ashore. Tutukaka Rescue arrived on scene minutes later, pulling the remaining crew from the water – and discovering that there had actually been 11 people in need, not 10. Thankfully, all had been wearing lifejackets.

An ambulance met the crew and their rescuers at the Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers Club which had opened their doors to allow triage of the Waka Ama crews, some of whom appeared to be suffering hypothermia and had lacerations.

While the Waka are both still on the rocks, everyone is now back on shore safe and sound– a big thanks for the huge community teamwork. A great result!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 7:33pm
Now begs the Question who pays for ambulances search and rescue??
is a it a commercial operation this waka event or local maree?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 7:45pm
I seem to remember a similar "incident" in Tauranga harbour 4-5 years ago.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Bro, what don't you believe about two wakas with 11 people in total, some swam to shore, some were rescued from several boats, the info came from Coast Guard Tutukaka, the wakas are demolished on the rocky shoreline - Go Figure!

The wind today was 32 gusting 44kts and was a Sou'East by East, thus would have been the worst type at the entrance, Why were these clowns paddling out in a dangerous sea way?!AngryOuch

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 10:11pm
Looking forward to the updates Al.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 8:11am
In these days of health and safety how many boaties have the correct equipment and experience in long range towing and depending on sea state may end up in a unsafe position. I know it is very difficult to put cones up out sea to cordon of unsafe areas but hope people can pickup on my point not just rip into some knee jerk reaction

Posted By: JustAnotherSpearo
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 9:02am
Yesterday after spending most the day in the garage tidying up wiring. Decided to have a look at the rough water out at tuts.. when i got home and read that those nutters went out paddling I was gobsmacked.. however I must admit there has been times when its been 20knots SW and ive seen them out of tuts paddling..

Might ad the waves were nearly breaking the whole way across the enterance at tuts in the afternoon!

Posted By: Raging Bull
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 9:05am
I have had a membership for 10 years, called them once when my steering cable snapped. Before they had launched a mate who was going past stopped and towed me in.

Although I have not been “rescued” I always log a trip report with coast guard when heading out wide game fishing etc. Also use them too log my bar crossings too.

Now casting app is also useful as is the vhf now casting channel.

I also have a call sign which means they know all mine and my boats details should they need them.

So I’m pretty happy paying my $115 every year and also buy the raffle tickets, have often thought about volunteering too.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:57pm
Hey CRABMAN where the hell are ya come charging in posting screenshots and knowing what boat i own etc ...feedback was asked for And i gave it, like it or not ....., are u better boiled or fried chief.......

Posted By: Woody
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:28pm
Awesome Service.

Member for several years now.
Still want to do some of their courses.
Have been most fortunate to have had the privilege to have gone out with some learned and experienced fisher folk before getting my own boat.
The importance of checking and double checking stuff has saved me from most major calamities (touch wood).

Got a tow in one time, when I had a fuel problem that them or me could not solve on the water.

Hats off to the staff that make up the teams around the country... legends I say.

Cheers Woody

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 2:27pm
Another well done to CG, from Facebook;

Late last night, Coastguard Radio received a call from the skipper of a vessel advising he was having a cardiac event, off Waiheke Island. He was the sole person on board, but as he didn't know how to activate his EPIRB and didn't know his exact position, there was a delay in confirming his position.

https://www.facebook.com/Waiheke-Volunteer-Coastguard-176805711261/?fref=mentions" rel="nofollow - Waiheke Volunteer Coastguard  volunteers were paged at 2152 hours and were underway just 12 minutes later. The Police vessel Deodar III, with a paramedic on board, also got underway. At 2218 Waiheke Rescue arrived in the area and started searching for the vessel, with Waiheke and Deodar coming across the vessel within ten minutes.

The patient was brought aboard Deodar and evacuated to shore, and a waiting ambulance. The Waiheke volunteer team then secured the vessel, and towed it to Matiatia Bay for safe keeping - finishing their job just before midnight.

It rounded off a busy night for volunteers, with Howick Rescue investigating reports of an object on fire (which turned out to be a false alarm) before assisting a broken-down vessel with a tow from Motuihe Island. It's a 24/7 job for our volunteers!

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 7:00pm
As it happens we had to call upon the services of the coast guard this afternoon & have only just arrived back home very tired, so will give a full report with pics sometime tomorrow.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by crabman crabman wrote:

<div ="clearfix des" style="-sizing: border-; width: 827.5px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial; font-size: 15px;"><div rowspan="" valign="top" ="col-sm-3 msgableSide" style="-sizing: border-; min-height: 1px; : left; width: 206.875px;"><span id="userPro12" ="msgSidePro" title="View Drop Down" style="-sizing: border-;">full sacks View Drop Down</span> <div id="proMenu12" ="dropDownMenu" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px;">[URL=http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=84465]<div style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px;][/URL][URL=http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=full+sacks]<div style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px;][/URL][URL=http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/search_form.asp?USR=full+sacks]<div style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px;][/URL][URL=http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/pm_buddy_list.asp?name=full+sacks]<div style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px;][/URL]<br style="-sizing: border-;">Platinum <br style="-sizing: border-;">Platinum <br style="-sizing: border-;">Avatar <br style="-sizing: border-;"><br style="-sizing: border-;">Joined: 11 Dec 2012 <br style="-sizing: border-;">Status: Online <br style="-sizing: border-;">Points: 1239<div colspan="1" valign="top" ="col-sm-9 msg_wrapper msgLineDevider msgableRow" style="-sizing: border-; : relative; min-height: 1px; padding: 5px; : left; width: 620.625px;"><div ="msg" style="-sizing: border-; width: 610.625px; padding: 5px;">As a game fisher person find coastguard useless as the 12 mile thingy makes it a waste of time, had to deal with this last year off the manakau had to fart arse around waiting for a mate who was a member to organise a tow WHAT A JOKE . if it costs to much give the opportunity to get cover for it ....I'm not paying to cover retards falling out of duck punts.....<div ="msg" style="-sizing: border-; width: 610.625px; padding: 5px;"><span style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">Interesting comment, guess your 1st boat must have been an offshore weapon and you possessed all of your knowledge from day 1 ?</span><div ="msgSignature_wrapper clearfix" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial; font-size: 15px;">
still waiting crabman or have u seen that it is a VERY good point and you got all emotional for no reason

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:24pm

As it happens we had to call upon the services of the coast guard this afternoon & have only just arrived back home very tired, so will give a full report with pics sometime tomorrow.

As previously stated I hold the greatest respect for GC particularly the great guys & gals that give of their time to ensure it operates effectively. Therefore I have been very reluctant to comment on any aspects that might be regarded as being critical or negative, however have decided that as valid feedback has been requested I will outline some of my experiences in the hope that all comments  will be received in the spirit they are sent ie constructive.

OK let's start with yesterday when Vinnie & myself decided to fish the Kaipara out from Mungakura after taking heed of the forecast of heavy showers likely in the afternoon. It was not the weather conditions as such that was of concern apart from the likely visibility or lack of, re the channel markers that mark the course back to the ramp.

One thing for certain is that the condition could hardly have been more placid after having launched & were making our way down the river confident that any problems from the weather would be highly unlikely.

We had hopes for the day of netting some flounder, hooking snaps, gurnard etc. along with dredging some scollops & collecting a bucket of oysters all of which considerable planning had gone into ... so what could possibly go wrong ... even for me with such a history of mishaps. We were shortly to find out when the net became tangled in the prop resulting in my having to precariously crawl out the tilted motor to slash away the tangle ... hardly a adviable activity for a 78 year old, nevertheless after an anxious moment or two managed to clear the mess & we were underway again no worse for wear than a now useless net.

Not a very good start but never mind the rod fishing was bound to be better, or so we thought initially until over the next 1 1/2 hours experienced about 4 breakoffs presumably sharks or rays as brought several rays to the boat which were cut free & had only one 30 cm snap in the bin. Trying several other spots did not bring any success either until we finally found some fairly consistent action putting a total of seven snaps in the bin ... no monsters but fish nonetheless.

Fish were still biting well when we noticed the sky was changing altho it seemed to be moving away from any direction that would affect us but then changed rapidly to the extent we decided would be prudent to call it a day & make a run for the ramp sans flounder, scollops or oysters. All went well following the markers to just over halfway until a sudden extreme area of downfall caused a blackout of the stakes locations & lead us to mistake a shape on the flats to be a marker buoy so headed for it only to run aground.

Am having problems once again linking text with pics so will have to sign off 1/2 way & continue in a following post.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 9:25am

As previously stated I hold the greatest respect for GC particularly the great guys & gals that give of their time to ensure it operates effectively. Therefore I have been very reluctant to comment on any aspects that might be regarded as being critical or negative, however have decided that as valid feedback has been requested I will outline some of my experiences in the hope that all comments  will be received in the spirit they are sent ie constructive.

OK let's start with yesterday when Vinnie & myself decided to fish the Kaipara out from Mungakura after taking heed of the forecast of heavy showers likely in the afternoon. It was not the weather conditions as such that was of concern apart from the likely visibility or lack of, re the channel markers that mark the course back to the ramp.

One thing for certain is that the condition could hardly have been more placid after having launched & were making our way down the river confident that any problems from the weather would be highly unlikely.

We had hopes for the day of netting some flounder, hooking snaps, gurnard etc. along with dredging some scollops & collecting a bucket of oysters, all of which considerable preparation had gone into ... so what could possibly go wrong ... even for me with such a history of mishaps. We were shortly to find out when the net became tangled in the prop resulting in my having to precariously crawl out the tilted motor to slash away the tangle ... hardly a advisable activity for a 78 year old, nevertheless after an anxious moment or two managed to clear the mess & we were underway again no worse for wear apart from a now useless net.

Not a very good start but never mind the rod fishing was bound to be better, or so we thought initially, until over the next 1 1/2 hours experienced about 4 breakoffs presumably sharks or rays as brought several rays to the boat which were cut free & had only one 30 cm snap in the bin. Trying several other spots did not bring any success either until we finally found some fairly consistent action putting a total of seven snaps in the bin ... no monsters but fish nonetheless.

Fish were still biting well when we noticed the sky was changing, altho it seemed to be moving away from any direction that would affect us, but then changed rapidly to the extent we decided would be prudent to call it a day & make a run for the ramp sans flounder, scollops or oysters. All went well following the markers to just over halfway where a sudden extreme area of downfall caused a blackout of the stakes locations & lead us to mistake a shape on the flats to be a marker buoy so headed for it only to run aground.

Am having problems once again linking text with pics so will have to sign off 1/2 way & continue in a following post.

OK here we go again ... sorry about the length of this post but it will eventually have a related purpose.

Was time to assess our situation which we agreed that we were in no real danger at this stage, nevertheless could prove awkward if we had to spend the night out due to several factors namely :-

We were at best facing a 2 1/2 hr delay before the boat would likely refloat & was no telling what the weather might be like then or if the wind direction would blow us further onto the flats if the motor failed to start or the remaining marker poles were not visible. Our concern re motor possibly not starting was due to having to tilt it when running aground & the tell tale stopped flowing also the cooling water siren had sounded briefly before shutting down. Vinnie wisely suggested we take the precaution of ringing the CG to advise them of the situation, even if at that stage there was nothing they could do about it, but at least they would be aware we were stuck out there.
Have a VHS fitted but opted to ring on cell phone ( reason will be explained later ) & managed to make contact despite only marginal reception ( only one of our mobiles would make contact ) then explained the situation along with our location with both parties agreeing on a strategy that we would ring each other in a couple of hours to check on any developments. However this arrangement had possible complications inasmuch as if the weather worsened then
coverage could cease.

Not long after that the oyster boat came into view heading back & they kindly stopped to check if we were OK with a couple of them wading thru the soft mud with great difficulty to have a discussion ..
I went over the side intent on meeting them halfway but had to abandon the notion on sinking to my knees risking getting stuck.

Thanx guys for your concern as altho there was nothing you could do it was a comfort to know some else was aware plus you gave us a number to ring if need be, so we owe you. Not long after that it began to bucket down with huge drops of hard hitting rain that was splattering under the canopy causing us to become increasingly wet & was so intense we were using the bilge pump to discharge the sheer volume of rain water being taken onboard. As if that was not uncomfortable enough lighting began to flash followed by deafening claps of thunder which was of little comfort considering we were damp, standing in a tin boat wondering if we should bring down the rods from the rocket launcher or were better off leaving them there to act as lightning rods ( no pun intended ) ... does anyone here know the answer to that?

Eventually the tide rose enough for us to rock the boat afloat & we were drifting in the direction of the channel then greatly relieved when the motor started & the cooling water warning siren did not sound for the remaining trip back to the ramp plus we were able to make out the markers.

We made half a dozen attempts to ring CG as arranged to advise we would not require assistance but altho connecting could not get to speak to anyone or leave a message & were aware there was no coverage at the ramp or for about 10 kms on the road back home, so could not make the agreed call or likewise receive one.

As mentioned earlier, there are yet to be several issues related to this incident that should provide feed back requested & will be added shortly.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:07am
Baz Dids you ever get/ sort out a GPS system after something similar a while back.
 Even putting navionics on your smart phone? About $20/ per subscription think it is..  reminds me...my re renewal comes up soon.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 1:33pm

Baz Dids you ever get/ sort out a GPS system after something similar a while back.
 Even putting navionics on your smart phone? About $20/ per subscription think it is..  reminds me...my re renewal comes up soon.

Rather ironically I had purchased quite an expensive one only last week, but with the Xmas rush my ob serviceman/technician  cannot install it until Jan & had it been then we could have safely followed our plotted route.

Ah well they say we all learn by our mistakes atho must admit to being something of an exception to that rule !

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 6:38pm

Rather ironically I had purchased quite an expensive one only last week, but with the Xmas rush my ob serviceman/technician  cannot install it until Jan & had it been then we could have safely followed our plotted route.

Ah well they say we all learn by our mistakes atho must admit to being something of an exception to that rule !

As Steps suggests by the Navionics app for your phone Bazz it is great, even has bathymetry lines, so much more detail.

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 6:54pm
I do love reading Bazza's stories about his escapades.  Sometimes it's like having our very own Frank Spencer here on Fnet (I think I'm showing my age with that reference).

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I do love reading Bazza's stories about his escapades.  Sometimes it's like having our very own Frank Spencer here on Fnet (I think I'm showing my age with that reference).

Bazza is a good bugger too Kevin.S and I really enjoy our infrequent catch ups but he's a bad influence and forces me to drink beer. Not on the boat though!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 8:00am
OK ... now for the feedback on Thursdays experience covered in an earlier post to this thread & previous incidents.

Firstly will start by re iterating that I hold the GC in high regard, particularly the volunteers therefore expect to remain a member as long as I am boating & perhaps beyond.

Let's begin with the many positive experiences over the years :-

(1) Called for assistance when about 5 km from Gulf Harbour ramp & motor would not continue to run beyond idle cutting off completely when putting into gear ( turned out to be water in the fuel ) Altho far from a life threating situation a vhf call to CG had them arranging a tow however am pleased to report was able to cancel their response when a fellow boatie kindly offered to tow me in & furthermore would not accept any payment for his trouble, but seem to recollect posting him an appreciation anyway.

(2) Once again was out from Gulf Harbour but on this occasion was caught out in fog that was proving very reluctant to clear so rang swmbo to say there was not in danger but might be late home if the fog does nor clear. Unknown to me she rang CG & as it happened a CG boat was about to launch from GH on a training exercise & my phone rang to advise they were on their way to assist & to leave the phone on so they could locate my position. Was amazed that in no time at all a boat appeared thru the mist & when I asked how they managed to find me they said on their radar. They offered to tow me back to the ramp but I replied that as long as I could keep in sight of land it would be OK as could find my way back no probs. As an aside wished later on I had asked for a gps position as when I had no real idea where I was had caught 5 or 6 gurnard which for me is an unusual but very welcome change from snapper in that general area so have subsequently tried many times to find the spot but with zero success.

(3) Thursdays' incident when a gent named something like Hemi or Henry responded to our phone call in a cool, polite & efficient manner giving us the comfort of knowing they were aware of our situation ......... HOWEVER ........ once we were afloat again & safely underway repeatedly ( about 5 times ) rang CG to advise accordingly as agreed for each time we connected could not get to speak to anyone or leave a message, instead had to listen to a recorded message asking if we would like to contribute to CG. In this instance this did not present a problem beyond not being able to keep our side of the agreement & could not help but wonder how we would have been affected had our call been a serious one. We did manage to speak to the same gent about an hour later when back in
coverage.

(4) re vhf & would like to state from the outset such issues could largely be due to my lack of expertise when it comes to electronic gizmos coupled with perhaps unrealistic expectations, nevertheless here goes :-
Years back owned my first boat with a vhf fitted & managed simple tasks such as weather reports, converse with other boats & at that time the ability to lodge phone calls if no mobile cover. Then when I
changed to my current boat also with vhf attended a CG radio course after which I managed to lodge trip reports etc. as well. Then for some unknown reason often could not receive or transmit coherent messages particularly if any background noise. Had the unit checked by a boat shop & my service person both of which said it was working fine. At that stage I contacted CG explaining my dilemma & resat the vhf course to no avail so asked if there was someone who could establish if I was doing something wrong or was another cause only to be told that was not possible even tho I was prepared to pay for such a service. I had imagined that radio contact was such an important function that so much emphasis is placed on by CG that they would be willing to assist a member having problems be they real or imagined & unfortunately the situation of not being able to effectively make calls still exists ... hence the reason for using our mobiles on Thursday. Given I could not use the fixed unit decided to invest in a hand held then having decided on a model rang CG seeking advice on whether or not it was appropriate for my needs & after being transferred from one person to another was told such a service could not be provided. I can understand that CG cannot be seen to favour any brand or other but had expected a recommendation of functions etc. of any unit could have been forthcoming. I ended up buying a handheld from a local internet provider & like so much of the stuff I buy off the net it got stored away & forgotten until finding it over year later when the warrantee had expired only to find the batteries had corroded which presumably was the reason it did not work even tho hitherto unused
Contacted the NZ master agents to se if it could be repaired only to be told that unit had been phased out so it now languishes alongside all the other unused purchases such as beacon locators, battery jumpers etc.
(5) Now to the biggy & I could be well of track with this & if so apologise unreservedly. I accept that fundraising is a very difficult
aspect for many organisations however I maintain a policy of not supporting any cause operating via promotional organisations who take the bulk of the takings giving only a fraction to the party whose name is being used. Not only are they taking the bulk of the funds raised but once you have supported a cause you are identified as an easy target & begin receiving endless appeals run under the name of various charities etc. I have no problem donating to the Saliies & RSA etc where the funds are going to the cause stated but am not interested in making a promotional company rich. The CG lottery tickets that arrive several times a year bear the hallmarks of being operated by a promotional company therefore I do not support them any longer but conversely would happily pay a $50 increase in subs that I know would go to the right cause & I suspect many others feel the same way.

Rant over ! 

-------------

Posted By: beer_cruiser
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:39pm
Hi Bazza I'm a volunteer with Coast guard. We are selling raffle tickets at the moment. We were told when they gave them out that 40%[I think it was 40 could have been more]of sales would come back to our branch.
So we all try hard to sell a few.
Thanks Malcolm

Posted By: wayno
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by beer_cruiser beer_cruiser wrote:

Hi Bazza I'm a volunteer with Coast guard. We are selling raffle tickets at the moment. We were told when they gave them out that 40%[I think it was 40 could have been more]of sales would come back to our branch.
So we all try hard to sell a few.
Thanks Malcolm
Not a "raffle" but a Lottery.
When tickets are bought for the annual Lottery directly from your local Coastguard unit they retain $7.00 per ticket sold, when purchased via mail your local unit receives $3.00 per ticket, so it is much more beneficial to local Coastguard to support your local volunteers when you see them out and about selling tickets Smile

-------------
To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Posted By: SaltyC
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 9:55pm
As far as I am aware Bazza (I was involved on the board of Auckland Coastguard back in the 90s),the lottery is organised by the NZ Coastguard Federation, the group that all the regional coastguard units belong to and elect the national board to run, and all proceeds after direct costs are split between the national organisation, the regional units (eg Northern Region) and the local units,(eg Howick or North Shore or Hibiscus etc)

Posted By: SaltyC
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 9:57pm
Oh, and I am overseas at the moment, will be home in January and I would be more than happy to come over and give you a hand to sort out your vhf

Posted By: puff
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 6:15am
Yeah I’m a member of coast guard ands it’s really good... peace of mind on the water

Posted By: Blue Legend
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 7:56pm
I took a life membership 14 years ago that never expires, well worth the money($1000) at the time, only needed their services once, the day I joined ďż˝£, but it’s nice knowing I can call them if needed

Posted By: Dunwurkn
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 8:50pm
Coastguard are a great organisation and a amazing asset to have in nz.

If I had 1 thing I wound like i would like to see coast gaurd assistance beyond the current 12nm limit.

Myself and many others fish beyond this little limit for gamefish and in the event of a breakdown we rely on the support of another vessel to assist.

I would be happy to pay for example double the current membership rate for extra support beyond this limit.

My 2 cents.

Cheers

Posted By: Foxtrot Oscar
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 12:45am
Having read the forums here in my fishing 'noobness', I joined at the Boat Show and I didn't even have a boat yet. The benefits are obvious.
Passed my VHF and awaiting a chance to do Day Skippers.
If your car breaks-down you can walk somewhere/home. If your boat breaks-down - it's a long way to 'walk'...
If you're on someone-elses boat you're still covered I believe?

-------------
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:38am
It is extremely gratifying to know that CG by & large are held in such high regard ... long may it last.

Was quite positive to hear the lotteries return a reasonable % of the funds raised allowing those at "the coal face" to carry on doing what they are trained to do ... BTW as an aside, what is the diference between a lottery & a raffle.

It was also gratifying to find out this week that if you reach a certain VIP level with Marine Deals then they will pay for your CG subscription
& mine is currently being processed.

Incidentally are CG subs still tax deductible seem to recall they used to be & if so a good enough reason for many to consider a life membership.

Thanx to all for the info provided in response to my queries & in particular to SaltyC for his offer to help sort out my VHF issues, an offer I may well take up.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window