Print Page | Close Window

How to prepare for a fishing trip

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Briny Bar
Forum Description: The place for general chat on saltwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125856
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 11:16am

Topic: How to prepare for a fishing trip
Posted By: smudge
Subject: How to prepare for a fishing trip
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 11:41pm
I remember when a planned fishing trip was a big deal. Everything was packed a full week before hand, you had your gear packed and repacked at least three times, each time your pack/tackle box got heavier and heavier. Then by the night before the trip it all got so intense you just couldn't sleep. Each time you fished a newer, more exotic location the sleep problem just got worse.

It's a lot easier these days. I'm off tomorrow for a trip out in the Hauraki Gulf. I'm leaving behind a stunning west coast fishery, a boat fueled up and ready to go to try my luck onboard charter vessel 2XS with skipper Tagit in an area I've fished many times before but it's certainly not my home turf.

So how do you prepare for a big adventure like this? Here's how you should do it:

Prepare everything throughout the week. Know where you're going, your target species and what you will be using (in this case snapper on lures & softbaits only). Only pack enough gear for that scenario. Get a good nights sleep beforehand because you will wake up in the dark and drive for over an hour. A good nights sleep will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to bring your A game. That's all there is to it.

OK now this is what really happens:

Leave all your gear scattered around from last weeks mission. Plan to leave work early on Friday afternoon, let's say 3.30pm.  Remember to do that last hours worth of must do tasks at 3.20pm. Call into the local tackle shop at 4.30pm. Buy more stuff than you need.

Answer your mates txt and say yes, I will call in for a beer. Just one. Drink your beer and spend another hour talking nonsense.

Txt your wife and call her 30mins later after multiple txx and no replies. Apparently we were meant to go out . OOPS! Buy beer and enough food for one.

Get home around 6.30pm and clean the chilly bin that still has 3 litres of fish juice in it from last weekend. Open your mouth just as you direct a stream of water from the garden hose into the foul smelling chilly bin.

Spend 15 minutes gagging trying to remove the taste of putrid fish juice from your mouth due to rebound. Wash the taste away with a Wakachangi, followed by a Lion Brown. Drink a lot more Lion Brown.

Cook dinner for two because your son has turned up. Drink more beer, eat dinner and watch 7 Days on TV3. At 10.00pm put all your gear in a bag and throw stuff  in the car. Clean up and retie leaders onto your softbait/jigging gear and throw that in the car. Drink some more Lion Brown. Move the other 5 cars in the driveway so your car is ready to go at 5.30am.

Come inside, make a coffee, sit down and relax with a quick trip around the fishing website.

It is now 11.40pm. I have to be up in 6 hours. At least I'll sleep well. Who am I kidding! I'll stare at the ceiling for an hour. I'll wake up at least twice. After 4.30 I won't get back to sleep again.

See you in the morning Skoti. We be pirates! Arrrrggghhhhh

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Replies:
Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 4:00am
And while you lay there trying to sleep "smudge" get up put the cat out ,get up again and let cat in,because its raining,Nah cat wants out so up again,this game seems to go on all night next minute youre suppose to get up to go fishing,but think 5 more minutes,just make it to charter and you thought yep made it,reality is youve kept everyone waiting .

Hope you and Skoti slay them!

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Posted By: eynon
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 4:15am
haha so true, i had to put up with some c*nt doing burnouts and revving his engine and people yelling at a nearby party which in turn made all the dogs in the neighbourhood start barking nonstop...... 

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 6:53am
Good read SmudgeLOLLOLLOL Expect a report, go get e'm....

Posted By: kitno
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 7:46am
Alot of that sounds very familiar Smudge. I try to get a good sleep the night before a trip, but it never works out.

-------------
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.

Posted By: Mr Moritz
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:10am
We had a boy racer who used to do wheelies on tarseal at start of our road at about two in morning. He would then drive to end of road and return to do more wheelies.
He did it once too often as when he was driving to end of road furious resident got up and into his land cruiser and as boy racer was returning drove straight at his car. Boy racer ended up in his car in a paddock below the road.  Resident parked his car and hauled racer out of his car in paddock and gave him a few friendly taps to let him know how much he appreciated being woken up. Police were guarding racers car next morning before it was towed out. We have never had any more racers. 

Posted By: salty69
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:00am
No matter how much fishing I do, I still get excited about the yearly trip with my mates up to Rangiputa. It's our 22 nd trip coming and just like every trip before it, my excitement levels will be through the roof and i won't get any sleep the two nights before.
And the other thing that always happens is I'll take a truck load of kit and about 10 set ups. I'll use two of them!!!!!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:14pm
It turned out I managed a good solid three and a half hours sleep. Skoti came along dressed as a woman. I felt a little uncomfortable. We fished behind rangitoto for a nice bin of pannies

-------------

Posted By: Fenien
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:15pm
I won't ever sleep again thinking of Skoti dressed as a woman,very scary.

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

It turned out I managed a good solid three and a half hours sleep. Skoti came along dressed as a woman. I felt a little uncomfortable. We fished behind rangitoto for a nice bin of pannies

Are you telling us that he sometimes wears male ATTIRE ??????

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Fenien Fenien wrote:

-------------

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:51am
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Fenien Fenien wrote:

dear oh dear,didnt take time to shave,no K rd for you thenWink

-------------
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56

Print Page | Close Window