Print Page | Close Window

New wading boots - recommendations?

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Freshwater Fishing
Forum Name: Freshwater Fission
Forum Description: The place to discuss all matters related to freshwater fishing!
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=125068
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:52am

Topic: New wading boots - recommendations?
Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Subject: New wading boots - recommendations?
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:37pm
I need to get some replacement wading boots to go with socking foot breathables - for use on the Tongariro etc. I usually walk a fair bit, and enjoy fishing bouldery areas.

My Chotas have given up the ghost after many years.

Keen to get recommendations on boots. Simms?

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: viscount
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 2:30am
Simms G3 boots very comfortable to walk long ways.

-------------
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery

Posted By: makka
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:42am
I have Riverworks Z series which I am very happy with, I chose them over the X series only because they were a bit lighter and I do a bit of walking in them too

Posted By: Jaapie
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:42am
Hi mate,

I went through this same dilemma just recently.

I've had Riverworks and used them before, but they just don't last the distance unfortunately.

To their credit though, the company did replace my new boots after I contacted them and let them know.
They literally fell apart after 6 months, but those replaced ones have also died a slow agonising death.

I've recently gone over to Simms - expensive, but hopefully worth the cost vs use/life expectancy.

They look the goods and from reviews should have a few seasons in them. I've done a few km's in them already and they are pretty comfortable, so would recommend.

Good luck.

-------------
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:59pm
I have Simms Freestones, they're 5 years old, get used about 10-15 days a year and they're still going strong. On their 3rd pair of laces though.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 4:32pm
Great feedback so far, guys.
I've got Riverworks waders and had some issues with leaks at the knee in one pair, but they fixed them. 

Jaapie, it is the Simms guide boots you've got, or one of the other models?

Hopefully H&F at Botany has a decent range. My last boots were bought at the little Creel tackle store in Turangi.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:34am
@Tamure Kid

Yes mate - Simms G3 Guide Boots with vibram soles.

-------------
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Posted By: Chad51
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:17am
I use Simms freestones. I do a fair bit of walking and they're holding up really well. Very comfortable as well so definitely recommend. 

I've had riverworks waders and boots in the past. Both have been terrible experiences tbh. Waders leaked the first time i fished with them and the boots just fell apart after about 6 months 

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:38am
Ditto, re the waders. My trusty old Magnum neoprenes did years of walking from Red Hut to Cliff Pool etc before even starting to have issues at the inside knees. But walking all that way in gumboots is nobody's idea of comfort.
Breathables were a revelation in terms of comfort, but no fun having damp lower legs from leaks.
I lament the days of felt soles, they made wading tails of pools a breeze. 

I'll check out the Simms range next weekend.

Posted By: o Neill
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:50am
Must admit had great service from my now well used Simms G3s now going for the latest model as a replacement.

Posted By: TCG
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:09pm
I bought some Redington boots earlier in the year and they have performed great over winter both walking up the river and on 3 hour tramps to get to backcountry huts for fishing. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn while fishing, would definitely buy them again

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:31pm
Thanks for adding that option into the mix.

Posted By: Fraser Hocks
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:33am
Yea Redington have really lifted there range in recent years.  There rods have always been outstanding, now it seems the rest of there range is catching up! 

Posted By: BigEarn
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:07am
If you're willing to spend the money, my recommendation would be the Simms Guide G3 boots as well. Another model that I liked, before they got stolen, were the Simms Rivershed, but I'm not sure if they are still available. 
I went through Riverworks, Vision, Korkers and Scierra models before and none of them came even close to the comfort and longetivity of the G3. Compared to all the other boots, I feel like I'm wearing a good pair of hiking boots when taking longer walks in the Simms. 
I've heard good stuff of the newer Redington gear, but haven't tried it myself...maybe in a few years when the Simms have given up Wink

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 4:42am
May well be wise to approach any boots with caution that have interchangeable soles or wire laces such a some models of the Korkers.

I purchased a pair & have found the grip provided quite disappointing & altho it has  not occurred as yet am usually concerned that the lacing system could malfunction.

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:09am
Yea iv had the interchangeable sole Korkers in years past.  Found them pretty good but that was before I moved to Otago. I know the rivers down here and the KM i do in my boots (Simms G3's) these days would kill the Korker interchangeable sole system.

As for the Boa lacing system though iv heard very good things about them.   Simms do them on some of there boots but the NZ distributor only brings in the Rivertec 2 in a Boa lacing system.  Iv got two mates with them and there all very happy with the system after a good 2 seasons.  

Posted By: flyfisher
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 4:40pm
I'm using the Simms G3 Guides at the mo and they are awesome! Had the Simm's Headwaters prior but I like the Guides better, very comfy and thus far lasting very well, not cheap, but what the hell is when it comes to fishing gear!

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:37pm
Good to hear from a Tongariro guru. I presume you find there's good grip on the G3s, giving you solid footing in the upper river pools?

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 10:38pm
Ha, no guru mate, just like good gear that works, just ask Rene Vaz, he's sick of hearing me whinge about the shortcomings of modern gear! The G3's are very good on the rocks, they ain't no felt sole... but probably the best I've used for a while, the older Riverworks were also ok with the Vibram sole. OR you could just fish didymo infested rivers... that stuff is super-grippy to wade on! Wink

I always run some off-the-shelf orthotics in my wading boots to help with fit as I find them pretty spacious even with a wader sock or neoprene sock, makes a HUGE difference to walking comfort IMO, but then again I have tiny wee ladies size 9 feet!

Wading boots for me, also double as tramping boots, so I make sure they work 100% and some had some boots fall apart in the upper Ngaruroro once and had to walk out with them hacked up as improvised jandal's... wasn't fun!

Andrew

-------------

Posted By: viscount
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:28am
With the Simms boots you can get off the shelf studs that you can screw in yourself For extra grip.

-------------
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery

Posted By: O'Neill
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 6:14am
Simms G3sSmile

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:19am
I use the studs from Rod and Reel. Had them in my boots for bloody ages now and not one has come out. Highly recommended.

I couldn't be without studs tbh. Sometimes when the Tongariro hasn't had rain in a while it gets very slippery

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by flyfisher flyfisher wrote:

I always run some off-the-shelf orthotics in my wading boots to help with fit as I find them pretty spacious even with a wader sock or neoprene sock, makes a HUGE difference to walking comfort IMO, but then again I have tiny wee ladies size 9 feet!

G'day Andrew,

Hey mate, what orthotics do you put in your boots.

My feet kill me after a long day - it feels like the boots are just too hard on the feet.
My last pair I cut a rough shape of foam padding I shoved into the boot that kind of helped cushion the pressure, but if there are off the shelf products I'm all ears.

Be interested in your thoughts.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:39pm

Humm might try that?  The wife is always complaining that the Simm's Headwaters (women's) are still too spacious for her?  Will pop out tonight and get her a pair (hopefully that wins me some brownie points?)

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

Humm might try that?  The wife is always complaining that the Simm's Headwaters (women's) are still too spacious for her?  Will pop out tonight and get her a pair (hopefully that wins me some brownie points?)

slightly off topic...but what waders is your wife using Fraser and how does she find them? Looking to kit my Mrs out in a decent set, but it's pretty slim pickings for women's waders over here. Simms freestone or Patagonia Spring River seem to be the available options. Both at a reasonable price though.

Posted By: Redfinger
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:11pm
I have Korkers - dont do a huge amount of walkng in them but find them fine. Just spent about 6-7 hours in them last weekend - the interchangeable soles were great as I wore them in my boat on chequplate floor then swapped out for Tongariro in afternoon.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:13pm
"Hey mate, what orthotics do you put in your boots."

Hey Kev, long time no hear! They are just the $40 ones you buy from a chemist, blue colour and a neoprene like texture, have lasted very well and they are quite contoured.

Fished in the weekend with Mike Kirkpatrick, and he was complaining of a sore leg / knee, so we swapped boots (identical Simms G3 Pro's in Sz 9.) mine with orthotics, his without, we covered about 5kms and not a single issue for him, so case and point there - he went out and brought a pair right away, and yes, my legs felt slightly sore, stance was flatter and less cushioning, so they definitely work.

-------------

Posted By: Snuffit.
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 7:42am
Another option - my mate's running Patagonia Tractors with the built in aluminium strips in the sole and rates the grip way better than his old Simms G3's. I run G3's with GoatHead studs and find them pretty good - imho running Vibram alone without some aftermarket stud will find you on your a55 sooner rather than later. 

Simms star cleats  are pathetic, and as far as I can see a license to print $. They last 5 minutes and @ ~$40-$50 a set, well...

-------------
You cant eat my toast fish

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 8:49am
Hey Chad.   Wife has a pair of Women's Freestone waders and she loves them.  Nice bit of kit IMO.   I was surprised as to how cheap my local H&J's did them for.  Well recommended!!

http://www.manictackleproject.com/womens-freestone/" rel="nofollow - http://www.manictackleproject.com/womens-freestone/

We ended up getting a pair of Simms Headwaters boots in from the states as no one was stocking anything for women a couple of years ago.   Not hugely impressed with those.  She is pretty light on gear and there already showing a fair bit of wear on the upper.   They might last a lot longer as the sole looks in good condition however?

Thankfully it looks like Simms have upped their range of women's kit now, so looks like there maybe a better replacement when those boots die?  There even doing a G3 wader for women now? 

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 12:35pm
Cheers Fraser.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 10:01pm

Ha, no guru mate, just like good gear that works, just ask Rene Vaz, he's sick of hearing me whinge about the shortcomings of modern gear! The G3's are very good on the rocks, they ain't no felt sole... but probably the best I've used for a while, 

Good info, thanks.

I once interviewed Rene's brother Rob for the Waikato Times, when he was trying or had made the NZ fly fishing team. 
Reminds me of the old line about Mark Waugh dissing a rival player about him not being good enough to play test cricket. to which the other guy said "at least i'm the best player in my family". I bet the Vaz boys have some arguments about who's best.

This has been a very interesting thread, thanks to everyone who's contributed. I'm off down to Botany H&F to have a look tomorrow.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 5:27pm
Forgot to mention that the last time I went to change the supposedly interchangeable soles on my Korkers boots, the stud on the rear of the boot that holds the sole/s on via a strap had broken off.
So much for reliability & doubt very much that anyone here in NZ would be able to repair them therefore another good reason to avoid boots that have changeable soles. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 8:39pm
Does anyone know who stocks those Patagonia boots in the upper North Island? 
Complete Angler in ChCh has them for $400, which is less than the G3s here.

This review in Hatch magazine is fairly impressive
http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/review-patagonia-foot-tractor-wading-boots/7712431

Just looking at images, a key difference (other than the obvious re the plates on the soles) is that the G3s have drain holes which the guy at H&F said are very effective at letting water out. The tractors don't appear to have any holes.

Posted By: MarkE
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 9:10pm
Rod and Reel in AK stock Patagonia.

http://www.rodandreel.co.nz/patagonia/c109.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.rodandreel.co.nz/patagonia/c109.aspx

-------------
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction.... http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/sea-strike-18-build-thread_topic87723_page1.html" rel="nofollow - Build Thread here

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 9:12pm
Thanks for that, mate. Didn't show up on my initial Google search.

Posted By: gulfgreyhound
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 6:01pm
If I was coming over from the States I'd bring boots along and trade for fishing trips.

-------------
The trouble with some people is that when their not drunk their sober. Yeates,

Posted By: Miles.R
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 10:24am
Sticky Rubber

-------------
miles rushmer guiding...

TROPHY TROUT l SALTWATER l SHOOTING

BAY OF PLENTY, NEW ZEALND

Posted By: Miles.R
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 10:29am
Tried 'em all... with very few making it past a full season's wear for me. I've now had two full season's wear out of the latest Redington Prowler boot. Light, comfy, durable and wider platform sole. Loaded with Goat Head sole spikes and none have fallen out in two seasons either which is a revelation! Look no further....

-------------
miles rushmer guiding...

TROPHY TROUT l SALTWATER l SHOOTING

BAY OF PLENTY, NEW ZEALND

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 3:31pm
This is the retaining knob to hold the strap of the changeable soles on my pair of Korkers boots, but as can be seen in the pic it has broken off the boot on the left & it happened on only about the 5 th time of wearing. (2 nd pic )
The top pic is of a repair I have just done that seems to work OK but has yet to be proven "in the field" & just how long it will last. I used a stainless PK screw with the point ground back ... screwed it into place then bound the gap with cotton to prevent the thread from cutting into the strap, finally dosing everything with superglue.

Want to comment on the removable soles however the system does not allow me to post pics in the appropriate sequence so will need to start a separate post.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 4:08pm
Cont from previous post .........

Apparently the Koerker boots normally come with 3 changeable soles, namely :-
(1) Standard synthetic
(2) Studded synthetic
(3) Felt

Probably because they are not allowed in rivers or lakes here is the reason that in NZ they come with only 1 & 2. This strikes me as rather ridiculous, as after all it is not illegal to own them or use in applications outside of rivers & lakes where firm grip in a wet slippery environment might be desirable.

Anyway be that as it may a couple of comments re 1 & 2.

The standard pattern synthetic soles work well enough but as with most rubber soles do not provide a very firm grip on slippery surfaces.

However I was very disappointed with the studded soles which gave little improvement if any & seemed to afford less grip on largish round rocks both in or out of the water. Not sure why this should be, as studs are supposed to improve grip so am wondering if it is the type of studs or the layout ... anyone have any ideas?

Am considering trying aluminium cleats of some sort or other.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window