Print Page | Close Window

Advice needed 4.85 Surtees

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124835
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:51am

Topic: Advice needed 4.85 Surtees
Posted By: SeaninPort
Subject: Advice needed 4.85 Surtees
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:14pm
Hi All! Just joined the forum, Sean from Port Macquarie NSW.

Looking for some advice on a 4.85m Surtees I am looking at buying, second hand here in NSW. The only place I could really find any good information on them has been trolling through this site; there is not really much info (that I've found) anywhere else, and given there are not a lot of them in Australia it's been a bit tough.

So I thought I'd introduce myself and put a few questions out hoping I can get a better understanding. Firstly, the boat is a 4.85m centre console with a F70 Yamaha. My fishing is primarily inshore (up to 5 miles out) with a combination of live baiting, jigging, trolling and bottom bashing. I usually fish 2-up, sometimes 3. My son is starting to get into his spearfishing so I'll be using it this coming summer to take he and a couple of his mates spearing off some local islands and along the coast.

I've just sold my 5.5m Formosa centre cabin, had to do that for various reasons. I really liked the boat and understand that I'll be somewhat limited in what I'm able to do in a smaller boat by comparison, but I'm also looking at simplifying a bit. My ideal range would be something in the 4.6 to 5.2m range. I've also considered a 4.6/4.9 Renegade, a 4.6 Webster and a 5.3 Makocraft truck. I once owned a 4.7 Quintrex Reef Raider centre console, it was a wet and damn uncomfortable boat.

I also considered a 445 or Formula 15, although I just don't think I can move to a glass boat.

My consideration is safety, comfort (ride and dryness) and practicality. I like both the cubby cab and the centre console 4.85 surtees. I think the cab would probably be more comfortable and dryer, but the centre console appeals to me as I like flicking lures, a bit of crabbing in the river, easier anchoring and chasing fish around the boat.

I'm sure the 5.5m would really be a better boat for me all around, but I really need to go smaller from what I had, so prepared to compromise a bit.

So, specifically the things I'd like to ask;

- Has anybody had any experience with any of the boats I've mentioned above vs the 4.85 Surtees?

- Are they as good a boats as I'm reading and suited for what I'm looking to do with it (the fishing open waters regularly is my biggest concern)?

- Has anybody mounted an electric motor to their boat? I have a 48" 55lb Minn Kota available, I could probably get the shaft extended to 52" (it was originally 52" and was cut down to 48" to suit another boat). I'm thinking a 52" 80lb would be ideal, but I am hoping I can get away with what I already have?

Sorry for the long post but though the more info the better, appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers
Sean

Replies:
Posted By: Time_Bandit
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:19pm
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1022390997805201/

-------------
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:58pm
A friend of mine has used one for game fishing. Worked for him. Pretty sure you need to go more than 5 miles offshore in these parts. He had a 70 on his. Like any form of boating I guess it's all about picking the weather and sea conditions

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:02pm
Yep you're right about picking the conditions. I plan my trips in advance based on the conditions. In my neck of the woods 5 miles would get you out to the 100m line, a little further to the FAD and to the shelf. Run to the mackerel grounds is a little further up the coast rather than out.

Posted By: Joker
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 6:46pm
The 55lb electric motor will be fine for that size of boat. I run one on a 5.6m alloy boat and its only in the extreme wind, swell and tide together that I get blown off anchor lock.  

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 7:18pm
Great, thanks Joker, appreciate the feedback!

Print Page | Close Window