Forum Name: Reel Questions!
Forum Description: Reel answers from a reel expert - Steve at Swordfish Marine
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124818
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 1:29pm

Topic: Looking for a level wind worm shaft for penn peer
Posted By: Surf_fisher
Subject: Looking for a level wind worm shaft for penn peer
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 12:31am
I bought a mint condition USA made penn peer 309 from the 60's and it is in need of a worm shaft for the level wind as the current one keeps binding up on one side, after looking at it I have seen that this may have been doing it years ago hence why it has seen bugger all use. I have got my local tackle shop trying to source the part but thought I would ask here just in case he has trouble locating one so I can have a back up plan so I can get this old girl running and give it the use it deserves. Old part number is 42-209 new part number is 1183346

-------------

Callsign: ZMU 4809

Replies:
Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:12pm

I have a worm but no idea what it's off. Should be a Penn but all I can do is give you a photo. 

Posted By: Tzer
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by hunter708 hunter708 wrote:

I bought a mint condition USA made penn peer 309 from the 60's and it is in need of a worm shaft for the level wind as the current one keeps binding up on one side, after looking at it I have seen that this may have been doing it years ago hence why it has seen bugger all use. I have got my local tackle shop trying to source the part but thought I would ask here just in case he has trouble locating one so I can have a back up plan so I can get this old girl running and give it the use it deserves. Old part number is 42-209 new part number is 1183346

Are you sure its the worm drive a lot of the time its just the pall that fits into the groves that's worn

Posted By: OuttaHere
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 4:46pm
https://store.scottsbt.com/42-209-Worm-P2338.aspx

Posted By: Surf_fisher
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Originally posted by hunter708 hunter708 wrote:

Are you sure its the worm drive a lot of the time its just the pall that fits into the groves that's worn

I tried the brand new pawl that was supplied and it did the same thing and you could see where it had been catching on the worm drive as it goes to track back, the local shop I deal with has located a brand new worm from the penn supplier and is now on the way to his shop so hopefully it solves the issue so I can get it out fishing.

-------------

Callsign: ZMU 4809

Print Page | Close Window