Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124767
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:50pm

Topic: Southen Bluefin on STICKBAIT Trip report
Posted By: YeeHaa
Subject: Southen Bluefin on STICKBAIT Trip report
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:18am
With all this talk of southern bluefin on F..net and facebook the idea of heading down to Waihau Bay to chase them went from talk over a couple of beers to a 6 hour car ride and for the boys towing the boat an 8 hour slug!

The plan started on a Wednesday avo while some of the boys were in the shop having some beers after work and the idea of bluefin was bought up with a nice weather window appearing for the weekend.
The plan was leave friday avo, fish saturday and drive home sunday and hopefully get a chance at a bluefin trolling lures.

While rigging lures and getting jigging gear ready i also threw in a stickbaiting rod and a couple casting lures with the intention of if we saw them busting it would be the ultimate way to catch one but never thought i would actually get the opportunity.

So after the 6 hour drive down we arrived late that night and set the alarm for 4:30am to make sure we would be on the water well before daylight and hopefully arrive at the grounds on daybreak!
only one problem and as we back the boat in we have a few tech difficulties as the engine wasnt wanting to start but we soon sorted the problem and now heading wide after a 20min delay.
while steaming out in the dark the sky started to show some light and only half way to where we were heading we came into a pod of dolphins
The call was to stop and set the gear.
While startig to get the boat ready my mate cory calls
...bluefin....
which i responded bull sh*t
he then swore on his life and so we both started trying to put our top water gear together as fast as we could.
after tying my lure on i looked around to see for any splashes but all i could see was dolphins so made a cast towards them and started sweeping while cory was still rigging
mid way through my retrieve I announced "imagine how cool the bite must be from one of these" and just after those words left my mouth a tuna left the water with my stickbait in its mouth completely air born ShockedShockedShockedShocked
BLUEFINNNNNN!!!!!
and my reel just started screaming as it power dove straight down on a 200m+ run
I just had to keep dialing the drag trying to slow the fish, as soon i had 250m out and only 50m of line left.
but as fast as it run down it turned around and charged straight back 150m while i was trying to keep up.
After the initial run it began to plug down deep and settled in for the fight
Which on a 8 foot 3 inch casting rod was extremely painful  
but after around 30 minutes we could just start to see colour and it did one last run down another 50m but the fish was tired and it pin wheeled back up and soon we had it in the boat much to my relief

Side note: because i didnt think id ever get to cast at one of these fish i just picked up some lures i kingy fish with which all have barbless trebles and once in the boat the lure just fell out Confused

This was truly a dream fish for me and something i never dreamed of doing or having the opportunity but I hope I get to try it again as the bite was something i will never be able to remove from my mind.........
 but maybe once my back recovers Ouch

So far i havnt heard of anyone else that has caught a SBT on a stickbait in NZ but i maybe wrong that this might be a first???

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Replies:
Posted By: Kezza
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:12am
1 hour and 52mins and not one comment?!...wow…life has really dried up in here these days!!

Stunning effort Luke….reckon you'd be right in claiming that one as the first!!….Was just talking to Little Reefer on Friday and I mentioned organizing a trip to Tasmania to target them on stick baits….he said "these fish of the cape are very stickbaitable!"…..and there ya go….just like that!…yeeehaaa!!

Any other shots?

Well done you and the crew!!...

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Legacy
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:15am
Awesome Luke well done .

Posted By: rockz
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:15am
Damn!

some of us have to work kezza Wink

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:42am
Wow, that's amazing. I can't comprehend how tough that would have been.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 12:03pm
Good one Luke.

-------------

Posted By: Clifftastic
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 12:34pm
Mean!

-------------

Posted By: Telecaster
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:25pm
Awesome fish well done! Did you weigh it?

Posted By: GSPOT
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:27pm
Great effort !!!!!

I'd put the stickbait in a frame with the top photo and a plaque and have it on the wall of the pool room. 

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by GSPOT GSPOT wrote:

Great effort !!!!!

I'd put the stickbait in a frame with the top photo and a plaque and have it on the wall of the pool room. 

Thats the plan! have done it with my pb kingy and marlin on stickbait

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: wopass
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:05pm
Im far too jealous to comment...

Clap

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:43pm
Stunning Luke!!!! The Story, The Fish, The Pics.....Liked.  P.S. Wot happens to the fish now- mount it, eat it if so wot are they like, or can a rec fisho send one off to auction? Cheers.....

Posted By: JW
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:21pm
A New Zealand first! Worth putting your back out for. Awesome effort. Get any video?

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Stunning Luke!!!! The Story, The Fish, The Pics.....Liked.  P.S. Wot happens to the fish now- mount it, eat it if so wot are they like, or can a rec fisho send one off to auction? Cheers.....

After photos fish was gutted gilled and trunked then put on ice for best eating quality.

And nah rec guys cant sell em

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by JW JW wrote:

A New Zealand first! Worth putting your back out for. Awesome effort. Get any video?

No footage of the bite but we have the end fight on video which ill put on facebook soon

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:27pm
Bloody mean as, great catch Cool

Posted By: JW
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:35pm
How many pairs of Maui Jims does one man need!? LOL

Posted By: Troutzilla
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:09pm
So awesome!!!

-------------
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!

Posted By: JoshW
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 6:12pm
Very well done... I bet Cory is going to have his rod rigged before he even gets into car next time!

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 6:34pm
Incredible effort Luke, congrats, that'll be hard to topCoolClapClap

Posted By: PE Pete
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 6:44pm
Nice one Luke awesome effort 👍

-------------
Tight lines
PE Pete

Posted By: Stonefish
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 7:27pm
Epic bro, thats a massive effort. We were down there saturday as well, had the stickbait gear in the rocket launcher all ready to go but we got so caught up in them smashing the lures I never got a chance to cast at them.

-------------
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"

Posted By: fsholc
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by JoshW JoshW wrote:

Very well done... I bet Cory is going to have his rod rigged before he even gets into car next time!

hahaha dont worry he kept casting and had a fish boil on his lure but it just didnt eat it!

-------------
www.yeehaa.co.nz
www.justanotherfisherman.co.nz

Posted By: Jamiez
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:29pm
Truly epic! Great job!

Posted By: Fenien
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 12:45pm
Well done Luke,great fish.

Posted By: sid fishus
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 6:20pm
nice catch!

well done fellas SmileSmile

-------------
I always tell the truth about things that never happened

Posted By: The Dog
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 6:36pm
Awesome report
Great catch

-------------

Posted By: No Major
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 7:40pm
Epic fish and fight, cheers for sharing Clap

-------------

Posted By: Gwandad
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:29pm
Don't know you from a bar of soap but you're a good fulla!  I was wondering, hoping that stickbait wasn't being towed at the time, and your story just made my day!

One of the better reasons to have a sore back, lol!

Print Page | Close Window