Forum Name: The Work-Up
Forum Description: Game fishing related topics here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123751
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 3:19am

Topic: Advice on daytime deep dropping for swords
Posted By: Dark Horse
Subject: Advice on daytime deep dropping for swords
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:40am
Hopefully some of you that have had success in this deep dropping for swords might be able to lend some knowledge on where best for us to try we have given it a few cracks now with out any success yesterday we where in the two spots in the pictures below with no luck the first drop we must have been to close to the bottom as we got a puka but after that nothing.. we are dropping large whole fresh squids down to the bottom with a size 16J hook and a circle hook on top, we tie a 32oz break away sinker about 4 meters off the J hook and have a blue strobe 1.5m up leader and a bigger disco light up by swivel with a smaller 12oz weight aswell, we are dropping all the way to the bottom and winding up about 20 to 30 turns from the bottom then waiting? Dose this sound like semi the correct technique? Or am I way off?

Is this the sort of areas we should be targeting?
Thanks for any advice you can give us.

Replies:
Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:36pm
Wow you have some serious structure down there. Just had a look at the charts, Staggering. Sorry can't help though sounds like what I'd do.

Posted By: Marloon hunter
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:41pm
Get a line counter

Posted By: Wind Up
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:11pm
Nice ground and given this I think you may need to really narrow your search down as there is an abundance of good areas to work. I'd go to the steepest drop offs minimum 400 mtrs and fish these. Your rig sounds OK but don't be shy with your lights and sacrificial weights. If need be run up to 4kg of weight but on 15kg max break away to keep tight on your bait. Try to keep around 30m minimum off the bottom - 50 is better??Just stand there and watch the rod tip
Good luck

Posted By: JoshW
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:55am
Can never understand the whole circle and J hook combo thing just seems really really lame.

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:11am
Dark Horse, some awesome structure down there and so close to shore. Where are you launching from.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:46am
Thanks guys, yea we are really lucky with the structure we have and it's all so close just choosing where to go is the issue.. we launch from stoney bay I marked it on the top map with a pin. I only use the circle and J hook combo as that's what I have heard a few people are having success with, what's the issue with it? I would have thought the two hooks would be better than one giving you a extra chance to hook up? And 'Wind Up' have done a few with the bigger 4kg weights and 15kg but have had the issue of them not breaking a couple og times and having to wind them back up got pretty painful. But will go back to that and have a few more shots like that. Thanks guys

Posted By: Actual fishermen
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:08am
Originally posted by JoshW JoshW wrote:

Can never understand the whole circle and J hook combo thing just seems really really lame.

Perhaps you should keep your really really lame comments to your self or maybe tell your captian and see if he cares... oh thats right your just another deck hand that thinks hes a top fishermen, coat tailing off the success of the boat u are on. Go back to your fly fishing with ya old man and leave this forum to the people that actually own there own trailer boat and are out there doing it without being told what and when to do it .

Posted By: Roofless
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Actual fishermen Actual fishermen wrote:

Originally posted by JoshW JoshW wrote:

Perhaps you should keep your really really lame comments to your self or maybe tell your captian and see if he cares... oh thats right your just another deck hand that thinks hes a top fishermen, coat tailing off the success of the boat u are on. Go back to your fly fishing with ya old man and leave this forum to the people that actually own there own trailer boat and are out there doing it without being told what and when to do it .

haha about time someone put that dork in his place .

Posted By: White snake
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:30am

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:34am
Guys that is a bit harsh on Josh, when he is back here in NZ he does do a lot of fishing from his old mans trailer boat, where he runs it himself and gets his fair share of marlin. He knows his stuff.

Josh it would be better when comments are made like that, that you also provide some explanation as to why you think it is a lame rig.

It is partly comments like this from Actual Fisherman and Roofless as to why there are so few reports on here now. Actual Fisherman this was your very first post and you only formally joined the forum an hour or so ago, I hope this is not going to be the line of all of your posts. Provide something constructive or just don't bother.

Moderators if you don't like what I have posted feel free to remove it.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:40am
Dark Horse, that boat ramp looks pretty sheltered, how big a boats launch there and is it a public boat ramp. How often is it calm enough to launch on that coast. Amazing looking place.

-------------

Posted By: Roofless
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Guys that is a bit harsh on Josh, when he is back here in NZ he does do a lot of fishing from his old mans trailer boat, where he runs it himself and gets his fair share of marlin. He knows his stuff.

Josh it would be better when comments are made like that, that you also provide some explanation as to why you think it is a lame rig.

It is partly comments like this from Actual Fisherman and Roofless as to why there are so few reports on here now. Actual Fisherman this was your very first post and you only formally joined the forum an hour or so ago, I hope this is not going to be the line of all of your posts. Provide something constructive or just don't bother.

Don't blame my comment or the other one on the lack of posts on this forum facebook did that and it's not the first time Josh did a lame post he did it on a Facebook page

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

marlingator u are wrong i have been a member of this forum for 6 plus years under the handle kingy69 and i am one of the fishos that stoped posting because of so many really really lame posts. And your one of those guys. Your kingfish u posted on the walk about that u reckon was 80 pounds on the spirits bay reef....what a joke!
Coat tailing deck hands seem to forget where there got there fishing wisdom from and what about the the fishermen like me that have caught plenty of marlin and swords and had to learn it by trail and error with no body telling us what to do. Nothing wrong with that rig that was mention i use it and plenty others do. So take a back seat marlingator and maybe eat some humble pie.

Posted By: sink
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:27am
Pass the popcorn please.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:25pm
Maybe part of the problem is TOO much good ground. Spread out over numerous possible sites?
Maybe a matter of prospecting, or persisting with one or two likely spots?
Any areas yield good numbers of bluenose or frost fish? Maybe prospect near there.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:57pm
Ease up fellas, You might like to ask Josh what he meant by his comment instead of dismissing it outright. Noted he could have expressed himself a little less confrontingly.

Actual fisherman, you might want to take a look in a mirror next time your concerned about others behaviour on here.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Posted By: jakepitsville
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:18pm
enjoying this thread Dark Horse -  Ive had some interesting convo's with different people on this exact topic.  Some say go deeper.  some say closer to the bottom - being so close to the bottom means by catch is alot higher.

And ease up on the slander guys.  Its ridiculous.   JoshW has been around and always had good advise over the years and I for one would be interested in his reasoning -  I could guess but!

Posted By: Bounty Hunter
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:32pm
wow this thread went south fast

please  get back on topic guys - 

unfortunately i dont have any personal experience to offer here, but am watching this thread with interest as would like to give it a go in the future

-------------
No disintegrations!

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Ease up fellas, You might like to ask Josh what he meant by his comment instead of dismissing it outright. Noted he could have expressed himself a little less confrontingly.[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Actual fisherman, you might want to take a look in a mirror next time your concerned about others behaviour on here.
[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][/DIV]
i was hopping you would chime in.......seems thats what all you seem to do but wait you got 2000 plus points and i hope they sent you a 2000 points badge so show how much of a legend and wise fishermen you are. This is not joshs first really really lame post. Not only on this forum but on fb as well. I have bitten my lip for long enough when i read dumb posts and let me ensure you from now when i read more dumb posts i will let that person know and maybe with a bit of luck i can tidy this dieing forum up by calling out any dumb post i read.
When i used to be on this forum i was worried about getting in trouble with the mods by calling people out.
I wonder why all the best fishermen in this country don't post on forums and dont have fb.
Now run off to the bathroom and clean your mirror bobby boy

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

enjoying this thread Dark Horse -  Ive had some interesting convo's with different people on this exact topic.  Some say go deeper.  some say closer to the bottom - being so close to the bottom means by catch is alot higher.

And ease up on the slander guys.  Its ridiculous.   JoshW has been around and always had good advise over the years and I for one would be interested in his reasoning -  I could guess but!
are he here is the precher him self.....your but we tried to radio you one base radio but our radio wouldn't work and we videoed us calling you. And then you hooked up someone's elses marlin and what a story that was.....please mate do all of us favor and let the kids have a birthday party or are you waiting for the next life.

Posted By: Stonefish
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Actual fishermen Actual fishermen wrote:

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

are he here is the precher him self.....your but we tried to radio you one base radio but our radio wouldn't work and we videoed us calling you. And then you hooked up someone's elses marlin and what a story that was.....please mate do all of us favor and let the kids have a birthday party or are you waiting for the next life.

Ha, this guy is amazing! Honestly though, chill out, you may be having a crap day but you're coming across as a total ****er.

-------------
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:54pm

Posted By: SaltyC
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:10pm
yes, and a search for the OP's  handle reveals a boat by the same name owned by the troll, so the OP and the troll may well be one and the same, and "roofless" has the same surname.

Mods?? where are you?

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:37pm
SaltyC - Roofless & Actual Fishermen are brothers, google them and you see they saved some guys on the Manukau Bar a few years ago (well done to them).

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:57pm
Dark Horse was the name of my old boat, and never got around to changing the name of my Handel, I am not part of all the banter just trying to get a bit of advice from some of you that have had success or have more of a idea than I do of how to catch one of these critters, thanks to all of you that have commented so far. Appreciate it!

Posted By: SaltyC
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:13pm
Well that is just weird then, from Honda Marine's FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/hondamarineNZ/?ref=page_internal" rel="nofollow - Honda Marine New Zealand  
https://www.facebook.com/hondamarineNZ/posts/891575450900482" rel="nofollow - 15 April 2015  ·  https://www.facebook.com/hondamarineNZ/posts/891575450900482#" rel="nofollow">

Team Honda Marine's Brian Mankelow and Dark Horse a 7.3 Custom Westcoaster running a twin rig 150's. West is best! and this is a beast of a boat. Brian says I love My Honda and was of the opinion that Honda's raise Marlin! we would have to agree with Brain on that. Nice rig Brian!

Posted By: Rockstar from Mars
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:11pm
There are two distinct types of people floating around this place. Actual fishermen who catch fish and forum prowlers who wish they did......

-------------
Winning.....

Posted By: matto1234
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:24pm
Ive got a ruler if you boys want to measure up? Good luck on your mission Dark Horse, i would have thought the second j hook would stop the circle from rolling into the corner of the mouth nicely but im no expert.

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:34pm
Time to settle down thanks.  AF, suggest you think carefully before you post on here as from what I can see there's negligible respect and mainly put-downs.  

These forums have a proud history of great posts and many, many people have benefited from others experiences, ideas and views. Sure there have been stoushes and plenty of disagreements but overall the majority of input on here is healthy and positive. 

That will continue and it will continue because members show some respect for others opinions and ideas.  Nothing's changed - it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

That is all.

Posted By: Rockstar from Mars
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:04pm
Bump

-------------
Winning.....

Posted By: hard yardz
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:37pm
Great terrain there.We normally fish a bit deeper 500 plus and are always on the hunt for deep bait(bottom 150m).All our rigs are now single hooks(mainly circles)due to thinking hopefully getting a resonable mouth hook up rather than a foul hook up as they are messey eaters.Upon saying that have caught a couple in tail on circles!!. As above dont be shy on lights and bunch them up so the flashing becomes a bit more continuous light rather than just a flash.Have a look at the "florida rig" on youtube as depending on the amount of current there is, could be a good option as helps keep the bait look a bit more natural down there.Also keep your bait moving in the deep bait layer.Good luck out there

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:46pm
https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjQ5ePUmufSAhVHe7wKHQmDAF0QtwIIJTAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DV-HRkiZDrLs&usg=AFQjCNHiYvYluOZszp3HQHb-_PojUC6yPw&sig2=vGEh8Dd3AhLQAzityiKaRQ&bvm=bv.150120842,d.dGc

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:46pm
Hope the link works - looks messy
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:18pm
Do you mean this Alan?

Posted By: part-timer
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Hope the link works - looks messy
Alan

Alan...  I followed Geoff's instructions on this vid..  and on 3rd try (couple years ago) we got one..  seemed to work exactly as described..  Hes caught a lot..  so if his method works, it must be good.

Not wanting to give any oxygen to the person who went meth on here earlier...

But I too wonder about what the theory is behind a j hook and a circle hook in the same rig..  

can somebody explain?

J

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:33pm
I think the theory is that if the fish swallows the bait down into its gut then if the J Hook doesn't bite in the gut area then you should hopefully hook it with the Circle when it comes out of the throat.

Funnily enough I have only run J Hooks and I still hook them in the corner of the mouth ...lol ....go figure :) 

With the bigger squids we will run a double J Hook system and with the baits like Bonito/Kahawai a single J Hook.

Just my 2 pence worth :)  

-------------
http://www.blackbillsportfishing.co.nz/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:35pm
Great video I did see this a while ago and then lost it, will try setting up just as Geoff did and see how we go and possibly try out a bit deeper this time think weathers looking good tomorrow so will have another crack, will report back tomorrow afternoon if we have any luck. Thanks for the help

Posted By: part-timer
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by BlackBill BlackBill wrote:

I think the theory is that if the fish swallows the bait down into its gut then if the J Hook doesn't bite in the gut area then you should hopefully hook it with the Circle when it comes out of the throat.

Funnily enough I have only run J Hooks and I still hook them in the corner of the mouth ...lol ....go figure :) 

With the bigger squids we will run a double J Hook system and with the baits like Bonito/Kahawai a single J Hook.

Just my 2 pence worth :)  

Black Bill...  after I posted I had a think about the scenerios...  and that is a very good example of what might happen..

cheers J

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Do you mean this Alan?

Yes - thank you. My IT skills are crap. Don't know how you managed to decipher that.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: JoshW
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:47am

Hey Brian Mankelow.... Bite Me!

Darkhorse: I apologize if came across as confronting or abrupt... I just don't see how the two hook style offers any advantages over a twin J's, a Single J, or a single Circle as the two hook style work in completely different ways... If someone cares to explain how I'm all ears.

Can't offer you much help as I'm not a actual trailer boat fisherman as much as I'd like to be... but one trick I picked up from fishing with people much better than I am was to use a bent bit of wire or upside down snapper hook with the point cut off from the weight over the baited sword hook. Stays on going down and easy to shake off when wanted... no more break away not breaking.

Good luck!

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:32am
Yup thats the one Josh, works great with a hunk or rebar and drops of nicely when you hit the bottom. Has made a big difference after moving away from the breakaway system

-------------
http://www.blackbillsportfishing.co.nz/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:54am
Are you guys dropping the weight off as soon as the bait is down? I use a break away line - trying to keep the weight on until a fish strikes. I'm not sure I could fish at 4-500m with drift and current without a kg or so of weight and expect the bait to stay down near the bottom. I also use the swivel sinker as in geoff's vid which is specifically to hold the bait in the strike zone til the clumsy fish has a chance to come back and swallow. Not sure how all that could work without the bottom weight.
Regards
Alan 

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Time to settle down thanks.  AF, suggest you think carefully before you post on here as from what I can see there's negligible respect and mainly put-downs.  [DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]These forums have a proud history of great posts and many, many people have benefited from others experiences, ideas and views. Sure there have been stoushes and plenty of disagreements but overall the majority of input on here is healthy and positive. [/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]That will continue and it will continue because members show some respect for others opinions and ideas.  Nothing's changed - it's not what you say, it's how you say it.[/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]That is all.[/DIV]
all good grant....just wanted to put the little carrot in his place and it worked he came back with a good reply instead of his troll statement.
This forum is going to die because mods dont moderate enough thats why people are turning to face book. Its invite only which stops trolling.
So you can delete my account i have nothing to add...and while you are at it can you delete my other account i think its kingy69 or kingie69.

Posted By: DenimViper
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:49am
Confused

Posted By: 700 LTR
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:52am
This is intense

Posted By: mint1
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:15pm
Oh what a crack up. DONT BE A GIANT PENIS ....

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:52pm
Play the ball, not the man.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: Mad Brian
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:39pm
I have been setting my 5.8 Surtees for deep dropping. I haven't been able to get out and put my theory to test yet due to a injury.
My set will include large circle hook 16 or bigger presented in either frost fish, large squid or tuna. 
I stitch hook in so the mouth of hook is clear and won't lay flat onside of bait. Use rebar for weights with the hook set up or similar. I don't use rubber bands as I have had trouble popping them off due to the amount of give in them. 
You need to run some appropriate weight of the swivel otherwise your bait will slowly rise. Lights there are heaps of different one but did hear that Swords can't see red? not sure if this is correct.
I have just upgraded my electronics to also help with detecting fish to a depth of at least 700mtrs well least I hope it will? Anyone wanting to discuss electronics should contact either Josh Schiphorst at Smart Marine or Bay Electronics I found them to be the best to deal with Josh really going the extra mile I got emails right up to 2230 at night.
Another hint I picked up I get fresh fresh baits stitch hooks in and setup already to drop I then vac pac them and freeze already to go saves heaps of time and if I don't use them they are generally still frozen so I just put them back in freezer for next time.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:05pm
Thanks for all the info, sadly didn't end up getting out today so hopefully sometime next week when weather comes right, what's everyone's thoughts on bait last time we were out we got s hoki so we chucked that on for a couple of drops, have also heard of people having success with kahawi or are we better off to sticking with the squid or a tuna?

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:42pm
Frost fish - you should have some handy in that country. And that is where I would be looking for the billfish. Frost fish are high on their preferred take away list.
But all the above will work.
I cut my FF in half - they are very long. But also they offer less drag than a full kahwai
or tuna.
Good luck. We are trying tomorrow - 40km out. Weather slightly marginal - prob what you had. Will make a call at daybreak. Puka/bluenose and then if weather (wind) holds will drop a sword rig.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:18am
Had a hit on a trout before.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 9:34am
Whats everyones thoughts on which map is best for chart plotter for Sword dropping? obviously bathometic charts I fish predominantly out of Tairua Coromandel I was speaking to Carl Muir he was saying that the Cmap had more up to date data as Cmap had agreement with Navy for their Hydrographic data? Carl if you watching can you confirm what I have said or have I got the wrong end of stick ?
With frost fish they love small jigs I often catch them in 200+mtrs 
I also have a downriver with 900mtrs 300lb braid that I am going to trail when I get mobile. Hoping that my sounder will pick up the downrigger ball although I have a counter and the braid is rainbow but with blowback of line and angle might be hard to tell how deep is deep with out the sounder.
Some guys use a float as a bite indicator ones I've seen are two milk bottles with bottoms glued together. 

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 9:51am
A few months ago I had a triple strike of FF. On 2 hooks. The 3rd one had the 1 kg sinker. Had passed it thru the gills and was caught on the gill plate.
Alan 

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:41am
I have also heard that there are times when lantern fish congregate in large numbers ( not sure when this is in nz ) but when this happens apparently Swords also turn up in numbers. just a matter of getting a bait down into that area and this is where a good sounder with a good transducer becomes really handy. My theory is that with my setup I will be able to see bait going down into schools of deep baitfish hopefully with a result of a huge bend in my rodSmile
Frost fish are a spectacular bait more silvery than tin foil on a bright day.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 9:12pm

Frost fish - you should have some handy in that country. And that is where I would be looking for the billfish. Frost fish are high on their preferred take away list.
But all the above will work.
I cut my FF in half - they are very long. But also they offer less drag than a full kahwai
or tuna.
Good luck. We are trying tomorrow - 40km out. Weather slightly marginal - prob what you had. Will make a call at daybreak. Puka/bluenose and then if weather (wind) holds will drop a sword rig.
Regards
Alan

Any luck today?

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 1:08pm
Had to pull the pin on it. Weather dodgy. Drizzle/rian. Vis 1-2km. Not normally an issue, but our spot X 40km out seems to be right on a shipping gps/auto pilot route. Have had to move for them several times before. They go at about 20knts, so 1-2 km vis too limited with 400m of line to retrieve.
Today looks good my my crew mate has to work. :-(
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Jiggy Jig
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:04am

Had to pull the pin on it. Weather dodgy. Drizzle/rian. Vis 1-2km. Not normally an issue, but our spot X 40km out seems to be right on a shipping gps/auto pilot route. Have had to move for them several times before. They go at about 20knts, so 1-2 km vis too limited with 400m of line to retrieve.
Regards
Alan

I hear you on the visibility issue and can only agree with your caution. Personally if I thought there was risk of being run down by a merchant vessel I would just motor out of danger and worry about retrieving the lines afterwards - they should just raise up in the water column astern of you as you go ahead Wink JJ

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:53am
Agree. And it has come close to that, but we have managed to get the gear up so far.
But with 1-2k vis, that is just TOO close for comfort. Their closing speed is significant. Very short time to react. And I doubt they would be thrilled if our lines got caught in their props.
I once thought the ship was clear enough (after moving) and went around the stern wash to get back on our drift line. It was a total washing machine in there - so you don't really even want a close call. He gave us a honk on his horn, and I don't think he was saying 'Hi'. And 1-2k vis would likely be a very close call. Especially if it comes at you from the opposite direction you happen to be looking.
Precaution before fish. Always another day.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Jiggy Jig Jiggy Jig wrote:

Regards
Alan

I hear you on the visibility issue and can only agree with your caution. Personally if I thought there was risk of being run down by a merchant vessel I would just motor out of danger and worry about retrieving the lines afterwards - they should just raise up in the water column astern of you as you go ahead Wink JJ
Def on tomorrow. Forecast primo. Maybe OK down your way too?
2 boats, lots of fuel, and a good day coming up out deep.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 11:00am
Good luck mate, sadly up north at a wedding, so can't get out this weekend went out on Thursday for a couple of drops though with no luck again sadly.. keep us informed on how you get on... if you get a chance aswell could you take a photo of your sounder of the type of bait your setting on... my sounder is pretty avg at depth so really hard to pick up anything more than a thin line of the bottom at 500m...

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Dark Horse Dark Horse wrote:

Good luck mate, sadly up north at a wedding, so can't get out this weekend went out on Thursday for a couple of drops though with no luck again sadly.. keep us informed on how you get on... if you get a chance aswell could you take a photo of your sounder of the type of bait your setting on... my sounder is pretty avg at depth so really hard to pick up anything more than a thin line of the bottom at 500m...

No sword. Drifted in 500m on a slope that goes down to 800m. One hit, but was a shark.
Got some puka/bluenose/gemfish (lots) at 350m. Some big albies (one went 20+kg). Triple strike.
This is the first chance I had to try the new sounder at depth. It is an improvement - I had good bottom at 350m, not sure if it is discerning fish or not. Prob need more time with it. At 500m, like you, I am just getting a thin line. (Got what I think was an orange roughy at 500m on elec reel). I was on 200hz, Sensitivity around +6, High Chirp. In theory I think I should be on 50hz for depth. I will need to fiddle with it more.
Lowrance HDS Gen 3 with Airmar P66 transducer.
Sunday was primo too, but already had a bin of fish and not much fuel.
regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 4:28pm
try this - from another post on Gamefish forum - which I posted earlier when trying to dec
to decide what sounder to move up to for deep water. You will find the thread on the first page of the Workup forum.
This is from a P66 transducer and HDS gen 2.
Regards
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Print Page | Close Window