Print Page | Close Window

Kabura break-off issue

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Soft Bait Fishing
Forum Description: Anything to do with this latest and greatest way of catching our favourite species
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122816
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:51am

Topic: Kabura break-off issue
Posted By: brmbrm
Subject: Kabura break-off issue
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 10:03pm
Recently had a few of these break off when on a fish.  Using Yo-Zuri 20 lb fluoro, Catch 80g kabura, Uni-knot.

Symptoms: beginner fishing and gets a hook-up on a decent but not large snapper, likely 45-50cm (that's decent where i fish).  Line parts relatively early.  It isn't the knot, but there is a curled end to the line as if the line gave way just at the knot.

After the second loss I checked the knot every time the lure came back on board but could see no problems. Then lost a third one

Whats happening?  Sharp edge on the kabura maybe, so that when the fish shakes its head it cut off the line?

Solution?  Heavier leader? But then it doesn't slide through the head as easily.

New problem for me, since I have been fishing those lures for years and my knots don't give way so much these days.....

Any suggestions welcome

Replies:
Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 10:25pm
interesting,carbon is something i have often wondered about,yes popular and a lot people using carbon lines , in my mind its a firbe?fibres must crack  when bent,tying in a knot and loose strenght, i am possably wrong in my thinking .

http://fishingwithconfidence.net/fluorocarbon.html

There in lies the problem with fluorocarbon. The line hasn’t the capacity to bounce back, thus when it stretches it is irrefutably weakened. 

Interesting read from one persons opinion
I myself thought instead of tying a knot and make a loop and crimp.  Bit like sails on a yacht,mylar or carbon  never fold as fibres breakdown we always roll 

Posted By: CanadianJohn
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 10:47pm
what kind of knot are you using?

if its a uni knot the curled part is the very end of the line.

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 7:23am
20lb leader could be part of your problem when using 80g kabura heads, we recommend using 30lb on the 80g and plus heads.
Sounds like you knots are not right either, i just use good quality flurocarbon leader for its abrasive qualities and tie using 4 to 5 turn uni knot and dont seem to have problems

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 7:43am
If your leader material is getting on a bit in age it can become unreliable too.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:56am
I use uni knot.  I don't think it is the knot itself, but suspect its the kabura hitting/rubbing the top end of the knot (where the tag comes off). That made me wonder whther there is a sharp lip on the head, but of course i won't be able to tell now.

I have not had this problem previously: maybe the fluorocarbon is getting old, but I only bought it a year or so ago.

I'll go up to 30lb for the next session

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 9:06am
I had a reel of fluro a while back... reputable popular brand...The 1st few traces off the reel where ok... couple trips out, we lost 5 traces all breaking just inside the knot...
 I bench tested strength etc but the occassional test broke just below spec
Sent away for testing .. all checked out ok.
In the mean time used a different common brand.. nps.
 The spool came back and decided to tie up more traces.... I pre tie traces and put into zip tir bags.
I decide would be a little more aggressive pulling the knots up tight.. sort of pull up slow .. no heat etc, then give a good jerk to do the final set...1st was ok, the 2nd broke, just as they did in the water.....tied a few more hooks and around 1 in 3 did not break in my hands.

The test report tested for strength, diameter  but did not test for that jerking type strength one gets with a head shake
 I went back to the company.. which to date had been quite supportive with this... all I basically got was use a heavier trace (30lb plus) for light gear shallow water stray lining...

Just a thought.

PS all this was in a thread about a yr ago.

Posted By: Raging Bull
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 9:24am
I use 30lb fluro and Lures and 20 on soft baits.

I use a uni for tying the fluro to the kabura but I always feed the line though the eye twice before tying the knot. Give it plenty of spit to make sure it slides up tight and I pull the tag end through with my teeth while sliding the knot down toward the hook with my finger nails, gets it good n tight, just don't tell the dentist!

I use a lefties loop to tie on my soft bait hooks. I know ya didn't ask about that but thought I'd throw it out there as some people use one knot for everything and I think it makes a difference.

Also, to state the obvious, check the drag, an excited angler winding and striking at the same time with a slightly heavy drag will break 20lb fluro without too much bother.

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 1:02pm
A couple of charters i've been on both use heavier leader for kaburas because the head part wears away at the trace as it slides up and down. A running sinker can wear at a knot and experts often say it's a good idea to use a bead between the knot and sinker to stop that happening.

Interestingly, both charter skippers usually start with kaburas and then move to inchiku style jigs when the fishing hots up.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:00pm
Good point on the bead TTK, I do the same for straylining if I'm using a heavy sinker as I often do in the high current areas of the Manukau.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Print Page | Close Window