Forum Name: Freshwater Fishing reports
Forum Description: Post your report here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114661
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:29am

Topic: Ota
Posted By: Metal Float
Subject: Ota
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 3:25pm
Has anyone fished Otamangakau lately? What are conditions like and how it is fishn'?  I've heard it's high and clear Unhappy

Replies:
Posted By: flyfisher
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 4:01pm
I did 4 weeks ago and it was tough. Little edge action yet. The main basin is fishing ok I believe. I like it low with exposed weed personally. Slab fished it in the weekend and got a few. Cheers

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 11:00am
Cheers Andrew - I'll report back near the end of next week

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 11:47am
Yes - lake is high and very clear.  I got a couple of sessions and found the fishn' hard.

First 3hr session included half a doz rainbows but no big ones or browns.  Second 2hr session - not a touch.  I talked to a few people who reported the same.  Rain this weekend and a few warmer days may help.  Good luck to any fishn' the lake in the next week or over xmas - it must get better soon!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 6:38pm
Anyone visited/fished Otamangakau recently?  How has it been fishn'? My last visit it was high and clear which seemed to make for hard fishn' (for me). What's the lake level like at the moment? I might have a crack next week.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 6:59pm
It's hard... and good! Depending on who you talk to of course!! I personally like this time of year, through to when the duck shooters start firing over your head, fish will be starting to colour up and do "jumping displays" around the inlet, they will be in prime condition, brownies will be starting to move off the flats as Damsel activity ceases.  Find the flow and you'll find the fish - no flow= tough IMO. Great time of year to strip #10 Olive Buggers on a floater.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 7:43pm
Txs Andrew - yes, I've had my best sessions on Ota at this time of year (before the first Sat in May) so keen to give it ago next week. I hope to see up close some of the aerial displays you're talking about.

Posted By: Cheeko
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 9:14am
I remember about 15 seasons ago - **** that is a while ago now, fishing Ota at the start of April after a huge storm and the lake was over a metre higher than usual and the browns were jumping everywhere. The fishing was great stripping big black wooly buggers all around the shallow bays close to the inlet mouth. 

Generally can be a little tricky if the water cools down too much.

if it hoses down this weekend I might go for a look to the inlet canal as will be in Turangi.

cheers 

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 9:28am
Let's hope there's some good rain over the next few days!

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 11:15am
Yip, ****tier the weather at Ota... better the fishing! Best days are black skies, passing showers, odd thunder, cold, blowing its titz off and slightly dirty water IMO!... Heaven!

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 2:48pm
And a hippy of whiskey - unless you're duck shooting Unhappy

Date Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:38am
A quick report from a couple of weeks ago.  Lake was as low.  As suggested by FF before, this made the fishn' easier as the channels were more defined.  I only got a couple of early hrs on the lake but a good number of fishn caught on fly and spinning.  The best two photographed  and released.

Posted By: rudini33
Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:22am
Sweet!

Heading up there in about one week... for two days... see how it goesWink

Bring the yak with me...as I love to fish from the other side of the channel opposite the ramp!

Date Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:44am
Good stuff Andrew, Rudini watch out for duck shooters, I'd be taking a bullet proof vest if past experiences this time of the year are anything to go by! 

You'll also need to dodge the beer bottles... it's fkn disgusting the rubbish most of them leave behind up there... Try Lake Kuratau as an alternative, less shooters and many more fish than Ota.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:05am
Cheers mate... might give the other one a try!

Yep... disgusting with the trash there... most of these shooters are a bit simple I guess... if I can say so Wink

Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:18am
Rudini - is the "other side of the channel opposite the ramp" the 'bubbles' or just on the north side of the main channel enterence?  I've fished Ota late May and the shooting seems to have died down.

FF (Andrew) - what would be your goto fly on Lake Kuratau?

Date Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:56am
Floater, long leader and an #10 Olive Wooly Bugger for sure Andrew, same kit as Ota for me.

Kuratau is an amazing lake and very under-rated, the fish fight hard and the browns can reach near trophy proportions which many don't realise. You can stalk them on a nice day from a boat as they tend to roam right into the margins and are easy to see.

You ideally need a boat or kayak etc. as shoreline access is limited, but there is some good fishing into the channel in front of the Island with good back-cast room.

It's a good lake to keep fish from IMO, as it's pretty populated, the ones I have taken in the past have been great with nice orange flesh (plenty of Koura in Kuratau), despite the myths about "snail eaters taste like poop etc." They don't.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:43am

I mean hereWink

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/39%C2%B000'23.6%22S+175%C2%B038'43.7%22E/@-39.0065606,175.6447407,200m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-39.006562!4d175.64547?hl=en&hl=en

Kuratau sounds great...definitely give it a try! thanks FF!

report soon!

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:14pm
Back from Turangi... stayed for two days in the Garden cottage of Sportsmans Lodge great accommodation!

Went first day for few hrs to Ota. I've tried hard on the fly but not a single taker...olive wooly bugger , black ones ,beaded ones ,float tip sink tip....nothing.
My mate was spinning and got already a few so I started as well and got 4 fish in the last hour biggest was 3,5kg...

The nyt was heavy rain and thunder ..next morning sunshine... beautiful day!!

We decided to give Kuratau a shot. Was a bit windy but not too much ... so  casting the flies was the go for me..my mate spinning again... 

It wasn't that hot fishing as expected. I've landed 7 but all pretty small...my mate had a lot of bites but landed only one and she was tiny!
I saw three nice big brownies very close to the yak ,but they were spooked away by me.

We decided to try the last hours of the day at Ota again but got not even a single bite, not on fly or spinner...
The water was very high and kind of milky from havy rain the nyt before

It was a good trip even if it wasn't that fishy ...would loved to test my Epic #6 a bit harder on one biggie but that's how it is sometimes...

I'm pretty sure to give it another try in the next couple of weeks before it's finally closed again.

Date Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:50pm
My experience with Ota is that it can be hot or cold, but more time on the Lake will help me. Might try to get back up there in the next fortnight. Maybe the stars will aline.

I've only fishn' Kura once and really enjoyed the day (despite NZ flyfishn' comp being on). Caught quite a few but mostly small.  Nice to see those browns cruising and even better when they chase and take (not often enough for me!).

Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 4:14pm
Any recent reports from fishning Otamangakau?  Last week of the season and last weekend coming up.  Plenty of rain in the forecaste - could be good.  Just need to workout how can I earn an overnight pass.

Date Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:02am
I'll be up there Monday-Tuesday I think!Wink... last chance mateLOL

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 11:48pm
Awesome end of season fishing up there got a few very nice fishies up to 2.7kg... and hard fighting!

Had some success on Mepps spinner but mostly on flies ...woolly buggers size 2-4...

The Epic fast glass #6 is an awesome rod...handled the huge Buggers very well together with a 40plus 6# and delivered great action during the fight!!

Didn't wanna take my Sage one #7 out of the carWink

Cya October Ota!!

TL
Tilo

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:51pm
Hi there...

anyone got out to the mighty Ota in  the new season yet??

Cheers
Tilo

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm
Yep, in the weekend... absolute crap for us, worst session ever on the lake, shore-based, but the Tongariro was firing! Most we talked to this weekend blanked, a few smaller 3lb fish about. Lake is quite low and weed beds well established, not sure where the fish have gone! Plenty of fish midging in the wind lanes offshore, so they ARE there, just tough... and picky...

Browns not on the edges yet in any numbers, won't be until at least mid December.

Andrew

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:08am
Arrgh... sorry to hear that Andrew!

I might drive up anyway ,as the weather is crap for diving at the mom in Welly!

Thanks for your report!Wink

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:04am
Do it mate, only one way to find out, and it's such a magic spot, even when the fishing is tough and that place has a thousand faces! Conditions were so good too. I think if you are spinning at the moment, you'll clean up, the water is very cold still for October.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 8:25pm
Cheers mate... don't like much the spinning... is just not the same ,isn't it?!!Wink

I've decided to go next week.. I've got another three days off in a role ... so ,if the diving weather in Welly doesn't play ball I'm up there for sure!

Keep ya fellas updated!

Cheers
Tilo

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:54pm
I much prefer the fly but the spin has much to commend.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:00am
I fished Ota Sat-Mon, afternoons only.  Sat: blanked. Sun: blanked until 5-6pm when a dark cloud rolled in and it was all on for an hour - one excellent fish. Mon: quiet until 5-6pm when a few were caught but mostly small with one desent fish.  No browns but the highlight of Sun was having a pack of big browns (6-7) chasing a fly (northern arm). Found them! but alas a considerable committment of time on Sun-Mon was wasted as I just could get through the floating weed (blown in by the SW) to where they were/are.  Half and half fly/spin.

The TT yesterday morning was excellent with the river in good nic with plenty of good size feeding fish.  I only hooked 4 and landed 2 but that's pretty pleasing for me.  There were probably 3x the number of anglers on the river yesterday than on Sat. They might need to set-up walking frame access soon!

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 11:39pm
Thanks for your report!Clap

I might stay in Welly this week...diving conditions r pretty good at the mom

Saw a few big brownies chasing small silver fish in the lower Hutt River...not White Bait! One followed my bugger but didn't grab it!

Cheers
Tilo

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 7:40am
Smelt?

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:29am
Photo of my best fish from the beginning of last week (released)

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 1:33am
Beauty!
Wink

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:36am
We went there before last weekend Fri-Sat...

very hard fishing for us might be because of the Supermoon??Tongue

We got a few fish but really not many for this many hours of constantly fishing

I've lost a biggie as the line snapped ...always very dissapointing if this happen!!

Here the biggest of the two days

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 5:22pm
Nice fish!

Posted By: Fishwhisperer
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:30am
Had a Club Trip to Otamangakau last weekend. Plenty of fish actively feeding and the fish condition was spectacular. All but two fish that we caught on our boat were super fat guppies and pulled plenty of string.

Generally the small fish were 4 to 5pds, but plenty in the 6pd plus bracket.

On our boat we were plonking or targeting the weed edges. Others were anchored up and nypmhing or stripping and a couple were fishing from the shore and targeting individual fish. All techniques were working.

Great fun!!

One negative, the gates have gone in shutting down access to the various camping sites beyond the boat ramps. You can still camp there but you need to ferry your gear in by boat and leave your car and trailer at the boat ramp.

Cheers
Duncan

Print Page | Close Window