Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111111
Printed Date: 17 Apr 2024 at 11:38am

Topic: Tairua
Posted By: salty69
Subject: Tairua
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 6:42pm
shot out for a look from Tairua yesterday.  Beautiful day but pretty damn cold on the water.  Headed up passed Boat Harbour, and had a look at a good sized work up at the north end of Tairua beach on the way.  Towed a few lures and then drifted with softies and cut baits for nil return.  Carried on and dropped the pick on a bit of foul in 20 metres.  Pretty quiet until the razor gang made an appearance, which saw us up anchor and head for a mark in 23 metres between Slipper and the Shoe.  Picked up a couple of Snaps, a Porae and bingo wouldn't you know the Terakihi were back in closer.

Hard work but did pretty well all things considered.

Only real bummer were a couple of numpties who had no idea about etiquette when it comes to approaching or lining up at a boat ramp. But that's another story, and I guess it's wide spread around the place. 

Replies:
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 12:32pm
Headed straight out to our favourite Terakihi spot yesterday morning.  Fishing wasn't hard out but two hours, 12 fish up to 45cm.  Got cleaned up and back in the tron by 4.30.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 1:14pm
Sweet feed there Dave well done.

Posted By: PukeFisher
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:14am
Mint mate nice Tera's

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:05pm
cheers gents - no comparison with those primo Aldies snaps but only had a couple of hours and geez they taste good. 

Posted By: yknot
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:12pm
Nice feed there pal.Thumbs Up

-------------
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:22pm

yeh terakihi are awesome eating a! must have a crack targeting them again =)

Posted By: Sea2Sky
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:23pm
Nice work Dave! Worth braving the cold.

Posted By: carlostairua
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:27pm
nice work, nothing like a feed of terrors! bust out the al brown tunnel bone terakhi recipe, its a winner

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 2:35pm
Had half a dozen trips out of Tairua in the last few months and always done pretty well on the Terakihi. Was out again yesterday and had a couple of unforgettable experiences.

Lost 4-5 fish to a shark that my mate described as 'rather large'. So when we did latch onto a Tera, the plan was to winch it up through the water column before it became destined for a plate other than mine.  So the next fish came flying to the surface, with a large grey and white shark right behind.  As the terakihi left the water so did the head and shoulders of the shark.

There was a large splash, a few choice words, followed by a change of pants.  I've seen enough sharks to know it wasn't a Mako, Bronzie or a Blue.  I've got my suspicions, but as I wasn't quick enough to get a photo, can only describe what I saw.
Anyway we moved a couple of times and finished up with a good feed of the target species, as well as a good sized carrot that was hanging around on the edge of the foul and a few kahawai - great to see the big work ups back between the Shoe and King Rock.

To finish the day we had a visit from a few Orca that were hanging around in the bay. 

I love going to sea, you never know what you are about to experience and you never stop learning. Man we are blessed in this country.

Posted By: Millbrooke
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:33pm
White maybe?

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:52pm
I think it probably was but as they say, 'if you don't weigh it, don't say it'.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:52pm
I think it probably was but as they say, 'if you don't weigh it, don't say it'.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:39pm
Hope it didn't scratch the side of your new tub.Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:55pm
Not even bro. Only scratched a dent in my 2/0 flasher rig stash. Come in Smelli, I need a few more.

Date Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:02pm
after a summer of limited opportunity and an issue that left my motor in pieces on the workshop floor - we finally managed two days in a row off Pauanui/Tairua. Had intended to join the trawler just outside Slipper Island but ended up at the south end of the main beach.  Gotta say fishing is great this time of the year.  Friday we got our limit of Snaps in pretty quick time, nothing huge, just good pannies between 35-45cm.  We also caught trevs and kahawai for the smoker and to feed a few of the locals who couldn't get out. 
Saturday was the same, but this time the trevs were thicker than I have ever seen them before.  We estimated we threw back 40-50, some of them up to 50cm.  We kept four which joined the snaps and a few kahawai in the bin.  Another highlight was a Mako suddenly clearing the water 20 metres from the boat - the young fella was reaching for his spare undies.

The bay was alive with fish and the water still over 20 degrees. Hopefully we'll get another month of this and I can get a little wider next time and score a few skippys for the bait freezer.  And lets face it it's only another month or so before the Terakihi show up in close again.

Posted By: Muzzfishing
Date Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:38pm
Good work Salty, looks like you have that place sussed out cheers for the report.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:55pm
cheers Muzz.  It's a great part of the country and depending on the season, there's always something to target. 

Date Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:07pm
nice work healthy looking bin there =)

Date Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by salty69 salty69 wrote:

cheers Muzz.  It's a great part of the country and depending on the season, there's always something to target. 
I think I will head that way on my next outing but from Whangamata.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">     A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.

Date Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:42pm
Nice work Dave. The 'plagues' of Trevs is pretty exciting. More prized in our family than snaps as the kids seem to hoover sashimi! We were out Anzac weekend and got snaps on softies middle of the day inside slipper, a Trev and next day had some fun on rat kings throwing stick baits into the rocks around boat harbour... Biggest 74... Doh!

Date Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:05pm
Good on ya Jason. It's a great time of the year to be fishing out of Pauanui that's for sure. I'm planning on another couple of weekends this month and looking forward to Queens Birthday.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:52pm
shot out and tried our luck on Saturday and Sunday, and what a difference a month makes. 

We spend Saturday between the Slipper and Shoe and had to work hard for three Snaps up to 38cm, and a few kahawai.  We did manage a score a nice Johnnie which gulped a wee Snap, and my mate 'Lil Dave' scored a legal Kingie. Not a horse by any stretch but considering he nailed it on a 2/0 flasher rig, not a bad effort.

On Sunday we shot up to just south of Hot Water Beach and tried drifting in 26m.  In three drifts we nailed 8 snaps up to 37cm.  Hard work and not huge fish, but two good days on the water with good mates and a lot of laughs.

Sad to see the razor gang have fronted and we lost a bit of gear to them, but I guess that means my little mates the Terakihi won't be to far away either.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:56pm
good to see you got a feed, can't beat JD

Posted By: KikBac
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:17pm
Baracoutta and the first terakihi of the season for us - winter has arrived!

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:24pm
Nice Rob. How deep were the tera's.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:31pm
By-catch amongst the usual undersized snaps. 29m

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:36pm
Cheers mate. Good news.

Posted By: Devon
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:24pm
Myself and BOP strayliner fished out of Tairua Saturday and Sunday with good success. Saturday was the maiden voyage for my new surtees and after hitting a sand bank in the estuary whilst trying to sort out the GPS settings we were off :D Started at the 32 with Craig landing two rats before I even had a chance to tie a jig on it looked promising, however a few more boats arrived and it went dead. I got a nice johnnie with a livie set on the bottom and then we decided to move in and look for some snapper.

Found some uncharted low lying foul in 50m I had never come across before. Awesome sign top to bottom in places, slow jigs deployed and around a dozen angry 40-60cm snapper obliged to come aboard as well as two more johnnies over the next couple of hours. Was all too easy until I threw my sea anchor over the side of the boat without tying it on which kind of stuffed us.. :D I got the fish of the day at approx 12ish lbs

Sunday another mate joined us and we headed off to the same reef, sign was there but fish didn't seem so active so we went in to slipper and had a strayline in amongst the rocks. A few mid 30's snapper couple of trevs which went down a treat that night and half a dozen or so kahawai I think we got there. Sun was starting to set but I had an inkling and had to go back to the previous mark for a quick drop. The next hour of fishing was pretty awesome. Bunch of good snapper best going to Craig of what we estimated to be bloody close to 20. Also played with some small kings on the light gear. Coutta are about alright, Craig lost 3 slow jigs in 3 drops which I thought was quite amusing!

Great weekend and definitely some of the best snapper fishing if not the best I've had out of Tairua for numbers and average size

Posted By: Clifftastic
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:19pm
Great results there Devon!

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:10pm
Fine effort Devon

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 2:57pm
shot out yesterday for a crack at a Tera or two.  The snapper nursery was in full swing and had to contend with countless sub 25 cm snapper and accept the five Terakihi we got as a by catch.  We also scored four Blue Cod in the 36-38cm range so that was a bit of a bonus.

I used Uncles rigs for the first time and they accounted for all but one of the fish we kept. I recommend them for anyone targeting Terakihi (or Blue Cod for that matter).  I'll certainly be scoring myself a few more.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 6:39pm
true, we went to 30m mark and smashed it on the snaps

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 6:16pm
Rubbish forecast so shot out this morning to see if we could nail any silver and black treasures before the weather turned to cr@p. After 3 hours of bouncing around like a cork and a mixture of kahawai, trevs, carrots, a few terakihi and one nice snap in the bin, enough was enough.

School holidays and a few kids keen to get into it so aiming for another crack next week once the weather settles.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:21pm
Out today for a good feed of my silver and black friends. Got a nice Johnnie as well, and also a Goatfish, which I'd never seen before. All in all a good day, pity about the wind that got up this afternoon. Bring on Saturday.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 9:37pm
Nice one Dave, wheres the pic of the red mullet... or was it stunned mullet!LOL

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:13pm

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:14pm
Should have mentioned a visit from a small school of Orca. You can't pay for that stuff.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 7:25pm
Great weather and a another great day on the water. Fish played ball so another bonus. I have to put another good word in for Uncles terakihi rigs. Every time they clean up and today was no exception. My mate couldn't buy a fish, even when I invited him to cuddle up next to me on my side of the boat. Changed him onto one of Uncles and in the little silver and black devils came.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 8:53am
Large schools of kahawai feeding hard on krill just behind Shoe. Pink & white lures did the damage. Loaded up the live tank and headed to the pins. A few small kings on the jigs but nothing on the livies. Went home and ate the bait

-------------
Beer: the most important meal of the day.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 2:10pm
Nice Rob. The kahawai weren't interested in our green lures. I'll know what colour to run next time I'm out.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 9:52pm
Headed out at 4 this arvo and managed to miss the mad post Xmas rush. Got on top of the silver and blacks after a couple of attempts. Picked up 15 and back in by 6.30. Another enjoyable experience with the teenage daughter asking when she can come out again.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 7:37am
Nice work Dave.

We had a crack at an early season Tuna on 27th... Out to the aldie knoll, but only a small albie for our travels, still good sashimi when you can steal a mouthful off the kids!

Got a half dozen good snaps at the aldies on the way in on soft baits.

Then took the kids out yesterday, inside of slipper, and had a play with a few kahawai and a couple of small snaps.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 7:50am
Originally posted by salty69 salty69 wrote:

Headed out at 4 this arvo and managed to miss the mad post Xmas rush. Got on top of the silver and blacks after a couple of attempts. Picked up 15 and back in by 6.30. Another enjoyable experience with the teenage daughter asking when she can come out again.

Quality time with the family, fantastic. Keep the updates coming pal, may get down to see you soon.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 11:44am
Hard work yesterday (earthquake near Seddon?) Hooked 4 x kahawai near Castle. A cheeky mako came in and devoured one right at the back of the boat. Moved in to just behind Slipper. A steady stream of small snapper caught and returned. A mako devoured one of these too, leaping clear out the water twice in the process. A couple of good size (5 kg+) skippies out wide. Water temp was 19.5 deg.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:44pm
Took the troops up to Cathedral Cove this morning and wanted to catch a few Kahawai to try out the new smoker on the way home. Well good luck with that. Struggled to find anything that resembled birds working and Castle was as dead as I have ever seen it. Arrived home with 1 Porae, 1 blue cod and 1 silver and black. Still a good day out. May be next time.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 12:51am
Not fishing news, and I'm not sure what happens elsewhere but another great fireworks display in the Tairua harbour to celebrate the new year.

Posted By: viscount
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 1:27pm
Hay salty, what's the fishing like up in tairua/pauanui, is there a lot of boats running around? I'll be up at the end of Jan,

-------------
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 6:56pm
Heaps of boats at present. Will start to quieten by the end of next week. By the end of the month the fishing will have picked up again and you'll have options galore. Primo place.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:16am
Shot out for a few hours yesterday. Picked up 6 blue cod up to 40cm in 40m behind Slipper. Then cracked it with the terakihi an hour before the low. Im picking the little silver and blacks will be heading deeper very shortly so good to get a few before they do. Another great day with a heap of boats out making the most of the weather.

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:54am
any news on last weekends fishing comp out Tairua?

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:17pm
Real Deal, Fishing in the TPSFC comp was very hard.

177 anglers over 2 days:

No marlin caught or tagged.
No hapuka caught
1 x Yellowfin (18 kg) caught
3 x Kingfish (10kg, 10 kg, 7 kg) caught
Best albacore was 11 kg
Best kahawai was 3.35 kg (lady angler)
Best trevally was 4.4 kg
A couple of very good snapper over 9 kg caught

Posted By: PE Pete
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:43pm
And 1000 barracuda 😔😭

-------------
Tight lines
PE Pete

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 7:20am
After some advice low tide at 7am tmrw heading out from tairua is there any problem launchig at low,

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 9:32am
Puke, low is 0730 tomorrow morning. You will be fine in a trailer boat either off the sand next to the marina or on the concrete ramp by the main wharf (although retrieving in a cross current can be a little tricky here.) Bar is flat as - been no swell for weeks!

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 7:54pm
thanks Kikbac plan on going for some snapper at the aldies and then try for some green machines, Are there any baits in the area? or is it gonna be a jigging mission =), will report back in tomorrow night

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 8:33pm
You can usually put know up yellow tail on the sand at the south end of Pauanui beach. Have a look around and they'll show up on your sounder.

There a couple of Pins just a bit further south. We picked up a few good size kings there on livies over the new year. Not far to go for something to fill the smoker.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 9:14pm
Was a very slow day, managed to fill the livebait out off pauanui like you said thanks salty, jigged the g spot and livebaited plus a heap of the other pins out there the 80 and the other popular epic pins was little sign there and a heap of couta picked up 2 rats at sugarloafs on livebait left at 3 nothing in bin tried rolling patch its home and pulled a 10kger out so could have some tea very hard work but good to be out cheers

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 10:25pm
All good mate. Pleased you didn't come home empty handed.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:34pm
After watching the swell on line all week we grabbed our opportunity today. On the water by 8 and headed up north of boat harbour. Was on the lookout for Fletch's stripey that had been giving the Kahawai off Tairua beach beach a hiding. No kahawai let alone marlin - maybe we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Had our baits in the water by 8.30 and got a few early fish. The second hit 50cm so we thought we were in for a good sesh. Was hit and miss after that and ended up with 10 nice fish and a 40cm Blue Cod. We seem to get a few most times were in the water.

Good morning and headed home to Toby Keith blasting out of the speakers.

Had another look around Tairua beach on the way in but the bl@@dy thing was still avoiding us.

Spoke to a few who had covered many miles out wider for very little return.

I'll be back next week for another crack. Hopefully the weather holds.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:41pm
2 x marlin weighed yesterday Dave.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 8:12pm
Sweet. May have a crack next weekend before I head up to Rangiputa for a week from 12 March. Are there many skippies about Rob?

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 8:58pm
Skippies have been scarce but a seiner and spotter plane were working the area between Slipper and the Aldies today. A 10kg albie came to the scales today (same boat landed a marlin yesterday.)

Posted By: #FLETCH
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:11am
Found a small school of skippies at 45m, no takers, that plane and seiner was working the area as Rob said, struggled to get anything on little lures, came home with a few decent kahawai, sunburn and an empty beer chilly bin. Day off today, might whip out further past the aldies

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 5:21pm
6hrs for not much return today. SW off the main beach and NW up towards Hot Water Beach. Tuna boat working the Castle to Shoe line all day along with a few other launches. That's me until late in the month. Can't wait to get back up to Rangiputa the week after next and have a crack at all it has to offer.

Posted By: Distraction
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 8:57pm
Hi, I'm looking to head to Tairua this weekend for a fish, and just wondering if the bar has settled from Cyclone Cook? The forecast looks good, but I've got a few hours of dragging the boat up there, so not really keen to do that just to watch the waves and come home again. Thanks for any help.
BTW - defintely a wuss when it comes to the white water... cheers :)

Posted By: jackel
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 9:50pm
Distraction-there is a 'live' bar camera here. 
https://www.waikatoregion.govt.nz/services/regional-services/navigation-safety/rules-and-safety/safe-bar-crossings

Hopefully you will get some local feedback, but ensure that you take all precautions also suggest you refer to the Coastguard website. I have searched Tairua Bar on you tube, Coastguard has a short vid there too. You cant be too careful. 

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:22pm
Thanks Jackel. I agree - can't be too careful. Yes, was hoping for some local opinion on its state before making the decision whether to spend a few hours dragging the boat up there. I'm very conservative on my bar crossing decisions.
I've been over the Tairua bar many times and have the utmost respect for it. I've seen enough close calls and the occasional capsize over the years to make me wary.

The Niwa cams are ok - it'd be great to have something like the Whakatane barcam though :).
Cheers

Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:53pm
Been hard work sitting on sideline for the last month so was great to head over the hill and get four hours on water today.
Managed to catch some nice fish. Pannies in 18 metres off the southern end of Pauanui beach - although I imagine they are on the bite all over the place at present.
Then finished off with Trevs, Kahawai and a couple of Kings in close.
Great to be back on the water.

Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:07am
 Nice one Dave good results there.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:04am
Nice one Salty69. We found the same. And a very pleasant day to be on the water too

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 2:44pm
Shot out at low tide this morning, 4 km from the entrance and straight into the snapper. Nothing huge 32-35cm but a few larger models turned up as the tide started to run. 2 x limit bags and back home in under 2 hours. Water was a chilly 15.5 deg

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:32pm
Nice Rob. I'm pretty sure you got a few Teras this time last year. No sign? I'm gonna have a crack on Sat morning if the weather plays ball.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 12:10pm
Searched without any luck for a few Terakihi yesterday. Picked up a good feed of Snaps, couple of Blue Cod and carrots also, so wasn't a bad day.

At 15.4degrees the silver and blacks won't be far away, if they're not there already .

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:02pm
Took advantage of a break in the rubbish weather and shot out for a few hours this morning. Picked up a nice mix including a few Teras.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:25pm
Nice Thumbs Up

Posted By: rowboat bob
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:52pm
Nice catch. Interesting to see Trevs and Tarakihi in the same bag. Off Leigh,  I normally target Tarakihi in 50m+ and Trevs at under 15m .  What depth were you at please ?

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:13pm
We were just on the edge of the foul in 29m. It's our go to Tera spot - wasn't expecting the Trevs, they were a bonus.

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:24pm
Nice mixed bag Salty! Yum raw TrevsWink

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:50pm
Cheers Geoff. They don't quite compare to the horses you are catching but still looking forward to the first Tera fillets of the season.

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:38pm
Off tairua yesterday 5 snaps one at 4 pounds just inside the Alfie's. but a bonus was 5 blue cod to 40cm. Nice conditions. Today one cray and 2 snaps on the stray line in shallow. Great weather good times.

Keen to find a solid tarakhi spot.

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:05pm
That's a nice catch Thumbs Up

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:17pm
Nice work on the snaps. You gotta love those blue cod as well.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:56pm
Anyone had a crack lately?

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:18pm
Shot out a couple of weeks ago Dave. Terakihi on the usual spots

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:44pm
Cheers Rob. Got Friday pencilled in so fingers crossed.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 5:51pm
So after some pretty average weather and four weeks without a rod in the water I was hanging to get back out there. The weather window for Friday was looking good so we locked it in.
Headed out an hour or so before the low and found the bar was up a little so had to negotiate between the sets.

Headed to our go to Tera mark which is about 2.5 songs from the entrance. Got there and struggled staying in the one spot because of the light shifting winds.

Long story short, did pretty well on the silver and blacks with a couple of snaps in their mid 30's as well.

As a bonus had a couple of Orcas pass by which is always great viewing.

Great weather and awesome day on the water.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 7:01pm
Nice one Dave, did you get to blood the reels?

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 7:04pm
The 4000d 🖒

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:58am
Shot out early Sat before the wind got up. A couple of snaps on the stray line then it went real quiet. Tried a few different spots with the same nil result. Wind got up to the forecast 35 knots and went home with the tail between the legs and 2 x snaps in the bin.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 5:57pm
Had a 0645 start yesterday morning. Scored some nice Teras and a few reasonable sized Snaps early on, but the action died after the tide. Tried a few different spots but struggled. Still got a good feed and back at the ramp by 1.

Had an issue at the ramp with the winch rope snapping twice and a bit of controled rush. The rope was only three years old and I'm not sure what life span they have. It looked fine but clearly had rotted. Certainly an experience to learn from.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 7:21am
Had no intention of being part of the traditional Labour Weekend rush so gave it a crack yesterday afternoon.

Pretty quiet til an hour or so after the tide, but then had a good couple of hours.

Ended up with our snap limit. Not huge but nice fish up to 49cm. Scored 5 nice carrots, a few silver and blacks and some good sized Trevs just to make up the numbers.

Got sharked a few times and ended up losing some nice fish and gear, but I guess that's all part of the game.

Boat parked up for the rest of the weekend and I'll enjoy watching and not being part of the ramp traffic.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 8:58am
Hard work out of Tairua yesterday. Laboured away for a feed of Tera's and Snaps. Still better than the working alternative.

Caught the most unlucky Johnny of all time. Got itself tangled in the braid when trying to help itself to a tiny snap. The snap went straight back to fight another day and the JD, which was as big as any I've caught previously, went straight in the bin.

A Giant Petral (northern I think) followed us around for a few hours. Certainly didn't lack confidence - came right up to us and had no issues being hand fed. Even took off and tried to fly behind us when we headed in.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:25am
Bad luck for the Johnny, beats working any day. I went to the Firth yesterday limit of Snaps biggest 4.6kg and one avg med size Gurnard.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 5:24pm
Yup. I'm keen to have a crack in either the Firth or out West - the fishing in both places in going off. Just not in a position to drag the boat home at present.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 7:41pm
If I get short of crew I will let you know.

-------------

Posted By: REIVER
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:01pm
Nice feed there Salty.

Posted By: Vander
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:00am
Forecast is looking pretty tidy for this weekend at this stage so looking to get out from Tairua this weekend. We've traditionally hung around the inside of slipper but its pretty hit and miss (mostly miss). 

Was thinking about heading to the pins just by Shoe. Do these fish ok?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 6:10pm
Depends on what you're targeting. We've been picking up snaps while targetingTerakihi - so if you find the silver and blacks please let us know where.

There were a lot of kahawai on the surface on Friday. Nuclear chicken soft bait did the trick.

Spoke to a guy who was fishing from a jetski and cleaned up on snaps in close at the back of the Shoe.

Good luck. Others may have more to offer.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by REIVER REIVER wrote:

Nice feed there Salty.

Cheers Hamish. Fishing was a bit harder than normal but still got a feed.

Print Page | Close Window