Pensions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pensions
    Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:23pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So not only will Gen X have to bear most the cost of the massive under spending on infrastructure the past 50 years & being ripped off in the housing market we now have to wait till 67 to get the pension Angry Well done to the old boys club.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:50pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't worry there won't be a Government pension by then anyway. All they'll do is make kiwisaver compulsory and eventually that'll be all you'll get. 
By now I know how the system works. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 11:05pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Generation x,they paid for their education and have crippling student debt to repay. Gen x pushed right out of the housing market by open door immigration policy ,floods of cheep foreign capital & rampant speculation. And for over 5 years our P.M or finance minister never said a word.
Many will leave and may never return,taking their bright minds and skills to benefit some other country.

This wont effect the boomers ,too late for that,but will be right on time to hit gen X yet again.

Bill English at his most cynical yet.

But perhaps an election year diversion ,to direct attention away from immigration,

the unresolved housing and infrastructure crisis, depleted fisheries,polluted water,and growing social issues

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 7:50am
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Plenty of genX guys on this forum with thousands of dollars of fishing rods and reels and no deposit for a house. Matter of priorities.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 9:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Plenty of genX guys on this forum with thousands of dollars of fishing rods and reels and no deposit for a house. Matter of priorities.
Well said
 Yep  and in most cases, like my children, have worked long hr and hard to get there with not handouts from Mum and Dad....oh geeze thats what BBs did..
They started off with a crappy old car, 2nd hand cell, working away from home weeks on end.. sometimes months, often over seas. Doing work know one else would do.. so high in demand big dollars.
Now sits a on a acreage in the county, nice boat , top gear, new truck, damn near all paid for and under 30 yrs.

And whats wrong with a student load? hell my wife has a substantial one... well had a substantial one... but chipping away at it, it to will be gone in 18 months

lets put this student load in to a bit of perspective....When my wife started uni, 1st yr around 60% dropped out.. all Gen X.. with a loan.  By the time she graduated only 20% of the original where there.. the rest dropped out, with a loan. Those who saw it thru now have hardly any loan and in their mid 20s now
Nephew just finished his 1st yr engineering, over 60% of the class has dropped out.. all Gen X now with loans

Degrees are easy to get... just tell the lectures what they want to hear, down side is doing so take quite a lot of time and work... doesnt take common sense, doesnt take intelligence.. just hat 4 lettered word  WORK

Pension.. what a lot BS.. basically a 'Claytons' fix.
67 by 2040, really?
 Hell we all know the issues BB Gen X doesnt matter....damn near all the BB I know would like to see the pension age go up...say 1 yr every 2 yrs over the next 2 to 5 yrs even up to 70 .. with these days is still young and fit... and thats a generation that has around 80% + ex heavy smokers..

And a thought.. the budget saved on pensions, why not put a good proportion into Gen X kiwi saver ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:46am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry guys cannot agree about your judgemental views on spending. I agree with hiking up pension age but lets do it within two years and save billions more. It looks like a typical cynical baby boomer appeaser move to me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 11:05am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would it be fairer to means test the pension,like Australia does.?

Right now the multi millionaire gets the same pension as the person who struggles with winter heating bills in a damp cold house.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 11:12am
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=cirrus]Would it be fairer to means test the pension,like Australia does.?

Right now the multi millionaire gets the same pension as the person who struggles with winter heating bills in a damp cold house.

There is an argument both ways. If the pension is means tested then so should other benefits. How about sickness benefit, unemployment benefit and the DPB and HNZ tenancies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 8:14pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And what about us poor (pun intended) manual labour workers expected to be still on the tools at 67? Ok for the woman and blue collar but I don't see any allowance for worn out bodies. 
Woman live 2 years longer and don't work as hard so up their age to 70 right now and then they can support us, but keep the gender pay gap as this is most important 

I'm tied of the winging from the X's. You don't have a clue what most of us have had to endure to get to where we are now. You ***** if you can't buy the latest gadget, want everything handed to you and feel an entitlement. Then have the belief that because we worked hard and went without most of our (and your younger) lives we ripped you off. Go figure makes no sense. I blame the PC bull**** that you've all been taught you deserve better. Ask yourself is your attitude that your employer owes you or is it that you owe your employer? 
That should wind a few up LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BeastMode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 8:37pm
BeastMode View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Don't worry there won't be a Government pension by then anyway. All they'll do is make kiwisaver compulsory and eventually that'll be all you'll get. 
By now I know how the system works. 

Haha. I totally agree. Can see it coming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 2:40pm
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Last time I talked to a 30 something co worker he was telling me how easy it had been for me, it was just too hard for him to get his own home.... he had a ute for work, a drift car to play in, a jet ski, a trailer boat, a road bike and a trail bike. I didn't have a boat or any other toys until I was in my late 30s, AFTER I bought my own home.
The big thing to me is that before the politicians even look at our pensions they should look at their own. As in they don't get a pension that's any different to ours, no tax payer paid perks either
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 9:11pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

[QUOTE=cirrus]Would it be fairer to means test the pension,like Australia does.?

There is an argument both ways. If the pension is means tested then so should other benefits. How about sickness benefit, unemployment benefit and the DPB and HNZ tenancies.

And make the discounted HNZ tenancies based on the total household income. Not just poor old grannies pension but all of the rellies camping out in that totally inappropriate 3 bedroom house for a pensioner.