Out There Doing It! Mokau Snaps

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out There Doing It! Mokau Snaps
    Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:09am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, Feel like i'm bombarding the reports a bit lately, but the great feed back received and appreciated makes  posting up a report a pleasure. If it wasn't for Aaron and his bigger boat, his addiction to fishing like myself, i wouldn't of been able to go due to  waves to big for beachlaunching me little Mac Boat. Another opening, quick call to work to change my days around we were off over the Bar at 9.30 a.m. Back to Spot last few trips but supprisingly slowish after two hours. Aaron wanted to revisit his 25 metre spot so out we went. Next hour no Snaps but plenty of baitfish. Two hours left before cut off time to come back over Bar he put the call back on me. I said we angle accross back in close to my Awakino spot where i have put many a mate and Forum members on there first 20 lbdaBig smile With in twenty minutes we had action on the Straylines sent out with whole Kahawai  and half Couta fillets. Five nice 4-5 kg Snaps in the bin then i got a big run!zzzzzzzzzzz. Patients is a big key to hooking the buggers when your instincts want to Strike straight away!Let e'm go two huge runs then wammo engaged pressure! Hooked up and this fish put up the best fight for a while. Huge runs for five minutes, slowly getting line back, a short time later had a big Snap side of boat. Aaron Jaw gaffed it, as fast as i could grabbed measure, camera set it up got a couple of shots and successfully released. Very fat, weighty put it near10 kg's. 80cm long. Wasn't long after headed in as cut off time was near. Few photo's me releasing Snap, on measure and Aaron with a few nice eaters back at his place. Cheers...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:17am
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome report Geoff and great fish. I see you use spin reels. Do you leave them in gear with low drag so they run and then increase the pressure? Or are they bait runner types.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by foulplay foulplay wrote:

Awesome report Geoff and great fish. I see you use spin reels. Do you leave them in gear with low drag so they run and then increase the pressure? Or are they bait runner types.
Hi foulplay. That beat up 6500 shimano in measure photo is only Baitrunner i own on my Sabiki Bait Rod, but that function ceased up long agoLOL Its only in photo for shimano product in measure comp photo's. My main reels on Straylines (have Three) are Penn SSV Spin only. I prever the louder Drags on the Penns to Shimano as alot of the time all your reacting to is the noise you hear when a fish is pulling, especially if wind blowing a bit and sea a bit rough. I Set Drag light then control the pressure of the spool with one hand depending on wot size Snap it is when they run. You will see i wear Gloves when I'm fishing, this helps when i put the brakes on! Strike and then adjust drag for size of Snap and the fun beginsBig smile Also wear the gloves for protecting the fish i let go and saves the hands from getting beaten up from Spikes, Scales etc. Hope that helps. Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:25pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate awesome report as always - down your way next 2 weeks will PM you in case weather is kind.... 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:58pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Hi foulplay. That beat up 6500 shimano in measure photo is only Baitrunner i own on my Sabiki Bait Rod, but that function ceased up long agoLOL Its only in photo for shimano product in measure comp photo's. My main reels on Straylines (have Three) are Penn SSV Spin only. I prever the louder Drags on the Penns to Shimano as alot of the time all your reacting to is the noise you hear when a fish is pulling, especially if wind blowing a bit and sea a bit rough. I Set Drag light then control the pressure of the spool with one hand depending on wot size Snap it is when they run. You will see i wear Gloves when I'm fishing, this helps when i put the brakes on! Strike and then adjust drag for size of Snap and the fun beginsBig smile Also wear the gloves for protecting the fish i let go and saves the hands from getting beaten up from Spikes, Scales etc. Hope that helps. Cheers....
Good insight. The 6500 should handle those Kahawai till the cows come home and also anything else that comes along except a Mako I use a TLD15 on my sabiki. you never know when that king is going to turn up and foul hook when nailing a jack. Got a few that way lot's of fun too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:34pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good fishn Geoff.
Go on, put up a full pic of your hi-tech bait catching setup Make sure you get the whole thing in the pic
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 5:20am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Good insight. The 6500 should handle those Kahawai till the cows come home and also anything else that comes along except a Mako I use a TLD15 on my sabiki. you never know when that king is going to turn up and foul hook when nailing a jack. Got a few that way lot's of fun too. 
True Krow! The only big Snaps iv'e rarely caught under boat have been on Sabiki rod! Except my 6500 has other problems as wellLOL the Spool doesn't move in and out when you wind, just bunches the line in one spot, often tangling! and the rod broken missing top one foot and three other rings-Barge Pole i call it. Best Snap on it though 12 kg's on a 1cm cube of pilly, 1/0 circle hook. Twenty odd minutes of playing! before nettingLOL Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:17am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great reading!!Thumbs Up
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:24pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

See them the ones you remember. Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 7:36am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gee whizz Geoff. That is fishing in luxury on Aaron's big tinny. 
Visiting 3 spots in a day is also another luxury.....
The ideal boat for winter fishing is your mates big one!
The little Mac Boat must be rusting up in the shed!

Great fishing and as always I enjoy reading your stories from Mokau or is it Awakino.
Keep them coming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:00am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Don18025 Don18025 wrote:

Gee whizz Geoff. That is fishing in luxury on Aaron's big tinny. 
Visiting 3 spots in a day is also another luxury.....
The ideal boat for winter fishing is your mates big one!
The little Mac Boat must be rusting up in the shed!

Great fishing and as always I enjoy reading your stories from Mokau or is it Awakino.
Keep them coming.
Thanks for that Don!  Still prefer fishing out of me little Mac! bring on light winds and one metre swells. Plus they are Plastic, Don't RustLOL The two spots Mokau-Awakino only 3-4 k's apart not like we are travelling long distances to fish. Cheers....