Muriwai??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ODL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muriwai??
    Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 10:58am
ODL View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im pretty new to New Zealand myself (1 year now) and im wondering what Muriwai beach offers to a keen LBG fisherman. Im looking for a few good snapper, kawhai and kingies, whereas my mate is after sharks, kingies and anything big..(hes got the gear).
I see alot of people fishing off the big platform but im wondering if the real fishing is to be found surfcasting along the beach. Has anyone had more luck with one or the other? Any advice for a newly hooked LB fisherman is much appreciated. cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 8:55am
rocko View Drop Down

Welcome to the site bud, if you new to the area like you say, best you stick to the beach ( safety reasons,, anywhere along the beach..find the holes,guts etc..The rocks to the left i take it you talking about can be pretty hairy & unpredictable...talk to some of the locals they should be able to point you right
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 4:11pm
yakin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've been fishing off Muriwai beach for about 18 months and I love it, feet in the water sand between the toes, however you need a 4WD to drive up the beach or you can walk from the car park at Rimmer road. I have caught a couple of Trevally a few snapper (top of the beach seems best for the Snaps, 44kms up the sand) mostly It's KY. It's a fantastic place to be and even better when you catch a few fish. We just sold our 4WD so my Muriwai trips are scarce right now. be careful when driving, people die every year driving up there and you should try to be off the beach 3 hrs before high tide. Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 4:57pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If no 4x4 take rimmers rd  then take 10mile rd easy walk over dunes and your there no need to worry about tide. will need sand grab sinkers and mullet seems to work best most fish  or pipi's for trevs. make sure you note the time they lock the gates as you drive in to the forest ok
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 5:02pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

rimmers rd is the way to go if you dont want to drive on the bch note the time they lock the gates at  the entrance to the forest though
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .