Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 151152153154155 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:18pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Stevoe Stevoe wrote:

We were looking out for gurnard as well Barrie. Had running and ledger rigs with baits hard on the bottom, no gurnard.

I normally have a running ring but with a shorter trace (maybe 450 to 600 long) as in the currents the longer traces seem to swing back and forth violently.
I can honestly say that most that we catch are on ledger rigs.
Salted skippy is what we use along with squid.

Where do you go out from?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 5:10pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Havnt seen any grunters caught off the beach out here for a few months either,I usually get them all year round,even if it's one or two every other trip.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 10:30am
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out from Mangere Bridge Barrie. anchored up more on the northern side of the Harbour ( shortly before you would turn hard left to head down towards the airport).
Fishing is the answer, what was the question?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 1:13pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Contrary to many many others experience, we've found the harbour hard going this year.  Plenty of fish but almost every one is far too small  - and you have to consider the implications of catching 25 small snapper to find one that is worth eating.  I do wonder how many of them survive . . . and that's a hard one to answer.  I'm sure there are some inner harbour spots where the bigger fish lurk but we've yet to find them. 

I thought your advice Smudge on trying a new spot each time you go out ( as well as a known spot) was very sound.  Subsequently we went out yesterday and tried fishing deep off the ninepin.  Not right in the bottom of the hole but 30plus metres and the results were pretty good.  After a few hours we had 10 keeper snapper.  Nothing big  . . .  but big enough. 

Fished high tide down and the fish really came on the feed a couple of hours after high.  Mullet seemed the preferred bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 5:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good to hear my advice helped in some way Alex, thanks for the feedback! I often try in 7 to 10m about a kilometer west of the tripod, often get good snapper there. Redfinger, where were you fishing and how deep?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 1:11pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We'll give that area a try next time Smudge - thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 2:34pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out at Sparrow this morning (thats leaving home at 8am) and out to Cornwallis. Boat in the water and off to the secret gurnard spot. Ist snapper in the boat in 10 minutes with the second following 10 minutes later. The larger was 440mm long with the other 420 long.
 Please to say that we didnt destroy the spot by tearing out truckloads of gurnard. The showers were windy and wet and I found that the Bimini top needs rewater proofing. In the showers I couldnt hold an anchor so we decided to move. We got a 400 mm gurnard at this spot as well as a trev. Home an filleted the fish by 2pm.
A bit disappointing but we got a couple of meals.
Shinal (youngest daughter) with the snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:37am
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not a fishing report but if anyone needs someone to come out for a fish/clean/chip in $ for a trip out let me know. Here for 2 weeks and free during the week. Regret selling the thundercat now!! :( 

Cheers
Peter P
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:38pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by peeda peeda wrote:

Not a fishing report but if anyone needs someone to come out for a fish/clean/chip in $ for a trip out let me know. Here for 2 weeks and free during the week. Regret selling the thundercat now!! :( 

Cheers
Peter P

Peeda
rule number 1 : never sell the thundercat at least until you have a new one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 7:16am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any updates on this?

Other than a cold rather stiff breeze things were pretty calm yesterday. Tiny tides also.

Not much in the job, other than boat reported at Weymouth by someone, found overturned by the police machine with fishing gear and crap in the water then girl located.

Be good to know where and detail on what the 52 yr old male was wearing. I'll be out for the next week and tides are now getting bigger. Wont be far away.

There is also an abandoned net on the edge of the banks between the No4 and No6 lat markers up the Papakura with oranges corks and orange buoy. Never got around to pulling it out yesterday, its in a big mess. I think I saw a boat having a look at it about 30 min after I saw it, comm from Weymouth. Wouldnt be his, but he may have pulled it out already.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 7:58am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If he hasnt already done so pull it out Millsy, I hate set nets too!

The pair had yesterday been on a 12ft dinghy which was discovered empty by a local fisherman about 4.30pm near the near the number 10 port marker in the Papakura Channel, said Coastguard spokeswoman Georgie Smith.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11841581
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 8:48am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh sweet. That's miles from the little boat I saw. Though it might be near Big Bay cause the machine and Coast Guard where way out here last night. On those small tides I'd be surprised if he even made it to the airport. Still be up there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 9:08am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Plenty of fish in the harbour at the moment, went out with the boy on Tuesday last of the incoming and came home with a 4kg, 3.5kg and about 5 more around 1-2kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:01pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Only one return Millsy? Obviously the fish you are tagging are dying. Evil Smile
Not quite how it works. Maybe you were joking? Unless you mean dying by being caught by gear fisho's who keep undersized kings? (something I've witnessed 3 times this year alone in the big muddy and the one person I did confront was aware but didnt think it was a problem). I also don't expect to get returns from the commercial fisherman taking fish illegally out of here on a regular basis. It shouldn't be a surprise what is really going on in the harbour. MPI can only manage 1 patrol on the Manukau every 3 weeks so I'm told and they wouldn't go anywhere near the "at risk" areas simply because the boat they deploy isn't designed for it. Most enforcement is reactive, not proactive also so the chances of catching anyone "in the act" is very very low. This isn't an anti comm rant either, there are a few who play by the rules. I've actually seen recreational set netting doing more damage than targeted commercial shoot and plonk netting [off topic].

Majority of the kings tagged in this program (around 85%) will be under 75cm. Those are the group of interest because they travel around NZ the furthermost. Older bigger fish tend to stick to areas once they mature. Also the areas inhabited by these smaller fish are the areas at risk. If you don't look after small fish, you'll soon run out of the big ones people like to eat and hang up at gear fishing comps. They are also a group of fish that are potentially of great economic value to NZ [as this program has demonstrated]. With a government that wants to double primary industries exports it is good to have some argument that they are potentially worth more with their heads on swimming around than caught only once and sent offshore.

Of note return rates are normally around 6-7% for the kings under the GMP. Kings also take very well to tagging programs as they are hardy if handled properly. They are also one of the fish species that carry a lot of parasites. More damage is done to kings by poor general gear fishing methods than tagging operations.

Not sure what the return rate will end up being for this program but we have had one fish caught 3 times in another area where it has been run. Estimated value of that fish is currently around $5K and its only 72cm. 

Nothing is obvious, it is early days but you need to start somewhere. In very brief terms, if you want to manage something, you need to know more about it. The fisheries around NZ remain largely a mystery which is sort of backwards for a country with so many people taking part in the activity of "fishing". I have seen tagged kings that I have tagged in the Manukau but generally they are near areas where I believe they are at risk which is an unfortunate reality until people attitudes towards their environment come into the 21st century. 

If you're interested, a bit about the program here http://www.flytackle.co.nz/blog/fishing-reports/project-tagakingonfly.html .

I'll be writing something up for LegaSea soon also, so if you follow them (which everyone here should) then you will see it posted. For those interested follow events outside of this forum also, this was just a heads up not meant to be a Q&A [apologies]. There is plenty of info out there and most people genuinely interested in research programs and looking after their fishing future etc have found it. Thanks for all the people who contacted me with generous offers to help, I spotted a few wolves in the sheep paddock among you, cant blame you for trying :-).

Sorry for the late reply, I don't visit the forums much.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 8:58pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The snapper can still be found in the shallows at the moment. Was on the harbour at 5am ready for some sunrise softbaiting. It was very quiet until the sun started to show itself then things went nuts, kept 7 fat snaps up to 500mm all caught on softbaits and a sinking stickbait in 5m on the edge of the sandbar. Back on land at 8am. I don't normally fish the harbour on my ski but the snapper fishing has been too good to resist giving softbaiting a good go, heaps of fun on light tackle in shallow water!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:02am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Good to hear my advice helped in some way Alex, thanks for the feedback! I often try in 7 to 10m about a kilometer west of the tripod, often get good snapper there. Redfinger, where were you fishing and how deep?

Where's the Tripod Smudge?

It's about time I put my boat into the Manukau, thinking Tuesday.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Great stuff Coxie!

Mouthu, the tripod is on the north side of the Papakura Channel where the Waiuku channel joins it. Some great fishing either side of that and the next marker down toward the airport
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Had  a hard day on Saturday morning - not helped by the lazy 10.30 start. We fished four spots for one nice trev of around 1.8kg and seven just legal snapper.  Everyone I spoke to caught bigger snapper than us.

Today I didn't fish but helped out with the CSFC Family day. Most boats reported slow fishing but those who got into snapper did very well. Snapper from a tad under 3kg down to 2kg took out the three age categories.

A bit early for gurnard with only three weighed, but one was a good fish for this time of year at 1.1kg for Casey - son of Craysee.

Interestingly a nice John dory was caught by Liam - son of Mars - that was found floundering around in the shallows. He scooped it up in his hands so not a valid catch but interesting nonetheless.

It can only get better. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:27pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was an interesting afternoon on the harbour.  Big tides meant a lot of current right up to the slack.  So much weed.  I got two fish seen here, the snapper went a little over 5kg and the biggest I have caught to date on the Manukau.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The best time to fish the big tides is either first light in the morning or into the evening. We fished hard today for very little reward. We couldn't stay out for the incoming dammit! That is a nice fish Blindspot
Page  <1 151152153154155 288>