Cairns/Port Douglas

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cairns/Port Douglas
    Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 5:55pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm off to Cairns and Port Douglas with work for a few days in August and I was wondering if anybody has any information on fishing for Baramundi etc in close with a soft bait setup?

Any info of a good deep sea charter chasing marlin etc might be useful as well, but I'm much keener on trying in closer, but only if it is worth the effort. ie. Have any of you caught fish there?
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 10:11pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I live about 20 minutes north of port, by the daintree river, most guys target Barra in the inlets with lures and live prawns, I'm a spearo but have line caught good sized mangrove jack, black bream, queenfish, and mackeral in the inlets and headlands. The fish life on the coast for spearfishing is awesome, as is the inner reef. August will probably be windy as,
But you can fish the inlets no worries, lots of charters up here working the inlets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 11:28pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for that Jonathon, I might bring over some light gear and try my luck. Do you need a licence?
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 10:38pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No license needed, I've flicked lures around etc, but my best success is with prawns, baitfish, and strip bait with some burley, there are lots of spots you can access by foot I've discovered over the last couple of years, let me know when your around and where you are and I'll give you some directions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 11:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Jonathon, any help appreciated. PM me your contact details and I'll see what free time my wife has allocated for me and contact you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 4:25pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

can anyone recommend a good tuna/billfish charter boat that does day trips from Cairns? Im headed up there for work and am keen as to get out if there is a spare day or 2. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 6:10pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if ya near the beach at night, do not walk alone. quite a few saltys walk about...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 7:36pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ta JSF. I worked out of Rocky on fish farms for a while so I'm pretty skooled up on crocs and their wily ways...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wasat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 4:37pm
wasat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Planning a trip to port douglas in November, Hoping to bare boat hire but have a feeling that we may need a lisence to drive a boat, as i had to sit one when i lived in nsw many years ago.  Would this apply to us? and is there somewhere  we can go to reef fish? AAAND..... does anyone know a cool place to stay there??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:51pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heading to Cairns this week for a week.

Taking a 7ft'8in Ocean Angler Rod to use off wharfs. Going to also take a 9ft beach rod and Thunnus.

Going to see what I catch with my Sabikis then send them back out as live bait... 

Any walk in spots where I won't get eaten by a croc?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 6:07pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah there plenty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tekohiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 10:55am
tekohiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

did you take a rod tube for your rods? If yes at what cost? I am wanting to take some rods to Raro but cant find anyone who knows how much it will cost, size alowed etc. thanks in advance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 10:24am
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So with most airlines worldwide generally a rod tube counts as one piece of checked baggage. it can be long enough to fit a 2pc 8ft rod (but join) without issue. 

It will cost whatever 1 pc of checked baggage costs on that airline.

The rod tube may be classed as 'oversize' and you may have to drop off and collect at the oversize baggage area. Oversize almost never costs anything extra however 'overweight' generally does.