For Sale 400L saltwater tank

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 8:59pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool project, i'm just getting into freshwater aquariums but marine just brings a totally new dimension to it. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 9:42pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I look forward to your progress. I had a saltwater tank as a kid and really enjoyed it. We changed about 1/3 water every week or 2 but didn't have fancy filters. My favs were the Clingfish, they live under rocks in rock pools and have little "suckers" underneath. very small eels were cool too as they burrowed into the pebbles on the bottom. They LOVE whitebait. 
Rook pools might be good places to look as the animals there should be hardy to changes in temperature etc. 
My understanding is that you need permit to keep anything that is undersize. Not sure it matters where it came from. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 7:40am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cheers guys - yes most people I have talked to all look at me Confused a  bit when I say saltwater and local reef system, tropical fish are what most refer to in fish tanks I guess.

Ah yes undersize fish is a good point petethemeat...at this stage I am only going to have fish that do not have a minimum size, and for others I am in the process of trying to obtain a licence, although I have been told if bred in captivity there is no issue...but I must find the actual facts, not opinion as I am certain I have already had at least a few trolling my pictures looking for such a thing - yes  I can see you Wink 

Here's decent pic of the awesome looking Gem-slug, great photo-bomb by the kahawai LOL

...this creature is amazing to watch up close, so at low tide I went and found my existing pretty-boy a hot looking gem-girlfriend Smile , hey...what a guy Big smile

Time for breakfast - fresh coffee for me, theirs will be a small entree of frozen shrimp, followed by fresh piper bits (the piper wasn't suitable for a tank - refused to recognise the glass wall as a barrier so he is being 'recycled') for the kahawai and hermit crabs.

A number of small bio's doing there thing nicely too, tiny mussels, a tiny tua tua, a kina (of course Tongue ) , the hermit crabs are hilarious - the speed of feeding is a blur and they have ever shifting turf wars! Now I want some tiny little almost transparent shrimps I have seen around  wharves/rocks..but they are lightening fast..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote All fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 6:28pm
All fisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you buy one of the nets with the bamboo handles you can catch the shrimp quite easlily if it a wharf get the net and drag it up the side of the pylons and you will catch the little shrimp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote All fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 6:28pm
All fisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The nets from the $2 shop are the ones i mean
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 6:51am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

For Sale - moving on to other things...top light has fused so needs repair, otherwise all set to re-home,...

Aqua One 400L loved having it, but need the space....
Page  <12