FISH CAKES

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TIN TUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FISH CAKES
    Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:04pm
TIN TUB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have raved on to people about this (and, more than likely a whole lot of stuff they're not interested in hearing from me about) but this is one of the best Fish Cake recipes we ever used.  In it's original form it was put together by the first Pakeha family which ended up being a family with 12 kids, (no tele eh!) to live in the Hokianga and was based around Kahawai and Mullet they caught in nets and was given to us by their great grand daughter.  It has changed with the introduction of new ingredients but essentially it’s quite similar to what they did, crushed lime leaves and chilies they grew for example were used for a bit of zing. We have used all sorts of fish in it.  The mix when complete makes and excellent base for making small balls of it to fry of first and then use in currys.  Trevelly is a real favorite.

·        Approx 4 normal sized fillets of white fleshed fish, cubed 

·        2 Tbsp of coconut cream/milk

·        Coriander chopped– about 2 Tbsp

·        1 Tbsp of fish sauce

·        2 lemon leaves finely chopped or some lemon zest

·        Around 1 tsp of each of the following

§         Garlic

§         Ginger

§         Chilli (optional)

§         Green Curry Paste

§         Red Curry Paste

Method :

Put all ingredients in a Food Processor and blend together.  Shape as you like and roll in breadcrumbs, panko or make your own, not the packet ones that taste like saw dust. Shallow fry until golden brown.

Eat and Enjoy!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:53pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ooh, yep, tomorrows nights dinner, cheers. I usually use boiled potatoes or kumara as a binder (but no coconut milk), keen to try this way.
Tonights culinary masterpeice is last nights left over vindaloo curry sauce from the local Indian curry house + fresh snapper fillets wrapped in foil on BBQ, real deal Naan bread too Pig  Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 5:50pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That recipe looks great Tin tub. Will try. And what better fish than Kahawai. I tend to steam fish & then flake into mix with mashed potato base. Wonder if steaming it would change the final result.
keen to try the coconut milk. Does it matter if coconut cream is used instead of milk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 6:20pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cocont cream is thicker and more flavour in my opinion
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 6:27pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot Phil, I'll give this a blast. There have been plenty of good sized trevs about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 7:10pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep keen to try got some old frozen snapper in freezer febuary so will try friday night,only way kids will eat fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 7:34pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

YOU Sheilas need to Learn how to smoke basic fish like Kahawai and Mullet quite quickly 15mins and then add it to your fishcakes with the addition of some boiled and then mashed potatoes, eggs and a wee dollop of butter/S&PWink
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 10:02pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

your onto it Catchelot....Thumbs Up
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 8:01pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tried this out the other day with a few fresh kahawai.
It was fantastic would recommend, I dont even normally like fish cakes but couldnt catch a Gurnard to save myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craysee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 12:48am
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bump
took me a while to find this again.
keen to try it again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 2:39pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

English and Thai style fish cakes are quite different. When you mince fish fillets in the wizz the proteins naturally bind when cooked, no need for egg, fillers or binders; it's mostly all fish. I like a bit of kaffir lime leaf and snake beans in mine. 

I like both, try 'em, you may be pleasantly surprised. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im with catchalot... smoking just adds the 'cream' on the top.. fills the flavours out...and smoke with min salt so can be added to cakes/ pie as required to taste.

Reading the 1st post thu...
In it's original form it was put together by the first Pakeha family which ended up being a family with 12 kids, (no tele eh!) to live in the Hokianga

So where did the coconut cream come from back then?
And chili in 19 century cooking was primary still in the Americas.. and still very much a new comer in spain with cilli powders /flakes only becoming common as a mid 20th century American development...
And the use of most spices , including ginger where dropped , not ready avalible in 19 century european cooking... let alone in the far reaches of the world.

Sry about that.. we love good food, and some time back we where going thru old 'family' recipies.. pies broths, roasts and it was rather an eye opener as to where when how many common foods / spices today where used over the last 500/ 1000 yrs... even how ppl ate.. even 'meals' as we know it very different.

Things like pies/ meat balls/ cakes where made to use up leftovers....ie smoked fish or fish that is getting to the end of its life...
We use the basic old receipy for fish cakes based some mashed spud and/ or kumura (latter for sweetness)....chives/ onions/ spring onions....bit of cream.. salt pepper to taste, throw in a couple eggs to bind....then roll well in breadcrumbs (again these can be spiced up a little as individual imaginations may like to experiment ) rubbing the breadcrumbs well into the surface. Grate a little cheese over the top
Then either deep fry or pan fry in the oven or cast iron fry pan, as one prefers.

The fish pie is basically the same...but use up the last of the eggs...boil cut into pieces and throw into the main body of  lightly mash spud (kumura)....A scalloped potato layer on top using up the last of the cheese grated over the top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 12:25pm
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yea mate this is the stuff. if you want a kicker to go with it, i usually squeeze out a few limes, chop in fresh coriander and chilli (all from the garden), and then crush together. This gives you an amazing zingy dressing/dip and the pieces of coriander just tie it all together

mouth watering!@
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 1:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coriander is one of the very few flavours I /we dont take to
(all from the garden),
Hell yeah..  fresh picked makes a huge difference