Blue maomao fishing spots and techniques

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Robyn_2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue maomao fishing spots and techniques
    Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 1:45pm
Robyn_2013 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wondering if anyone knows some really great blue maomao fishing spots in and around the Leigh area? Have already tried places with plenty of current near rocky reefs, but haven't had much luck with them...the spots are very hit and miss (Cape Rodney, Ti Point, the point off Tawharanui, the outpost just outside of Leigh Harbour).  

As for the technique I always use a burley bomb, sabikis with squid/mussel/pilchard, and chicken layer mash sprinkled onto the surface every now and again. Is there anything else I should be doing that anyone recommends? 

Many thanks!!! :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:54am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Robyn/Laura? Can I ask why? Is this for a research project?

Adult blue maomao frequent areas where the current traps their planktonic food items. So you need current, but you also need a rock formation that concentrates that current. Look out for large surface feeding schools of parore in these areas. Big blue maomao are often nearby.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Out Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 2:51pm
Out Cast View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I just pulled a whole lot out of the smoker that I caught yesterday- not near your area, however. I can say that my mao mao spot, where they rarely fail to turn up is around a head in around 20m of water, not far from some decent wash. 

They certainly get excited over a good burley trail but I find sabikis aren't quite up to the task as they are pretty scrappy. Once they're located they're pretty easy to catch. Yesterday I just had a couple of small hooks on a 2m length of leader and was pulling them up by hand. They have come to the rescue of a few unevenful trips for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 5:08pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Easy to catch: I remember scooping landing net after landing net (for fun) of them out of the burley trail one day! Beaut looking fish and I understand nice to eat.  Good to see fishos targeting other species
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 3:16pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

ive eaten the odd one but find i love watching and feeding them better than killing them,
everyone to there own i guess,

here is my wife hand feeding them she gets a great kick out of doing this, they tickle your fingers when taking the food from it...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 3:28pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We got some off the black rocks up your Eric.not hard to catch very boney and what surprised me was they had slight pepper taste.maomao and pig fish are alright when you need a fix of fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Out Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 5:42pm
Out Cast View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You have to try the recipe on this page but with capers, parsley, basil and garlic added. Absolutely divine!

http://www.terawhitimarae.maori.nz/community-news/billhohepasays/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 7:07pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Out Cast Out Cast wrote:

You have to try the recipe on this page but with parsley, basil and garlic added. Absolutely divine!

use as bait interesting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lucy0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 4:02pm
lucy0 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Out Cast Out Cast wrote:

You have to try the recipe on this page but with capers, parsley, basil and garlic added. Absolutely divine!

Bait is to use bread crumbs