Why do mullet jump

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 1:29pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

resurrecting an old thread with my own recent theory.

They are most seen jumping during spawning season and my theory is... its primarily the larger females trying to get themselves away from the males.  This is based on what I have seen on the Manukau (typically larger fish jumping) and in other fish around spawning time with groups of males constantly badgering the female.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 2:43pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes this happens with carp and gold fish - they will even jump out of a tank or pond resulting in death to get away from the randy chaps.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 3:36pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We used to hear whales jumping out of water when on Campbell Island.

During mating season (I thought they were just showing off).

Sounded like rifle shots from a distance. (But they are not fish.)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:17pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blindspot Blindspot wrote:

resurrecting an old thread with my own recent theory.

They are most seen jumping during spawning season and my theory is... its primarily the larger females trying to get themselves away from the males.  This is based on what I have seen on the Manukau (typically larger fish jumping) and in other fish around spawning time with groups of males constantly badgering the female.

You voyeur you Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:37pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm shocked, your bored....

But a very acceptable response,
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:38pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe its just fun.  Some animals do things because its fun.  Well, I do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:51am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Maybe its just fun.  Some animals do things because its fun.  Well, I do.
Could be for fun as my dogs like to play to.  I always think there is a predator around when I see fish jumping though birds often display fighting diving behaviour at mating time and it could be 2 males or male chasing female.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:22am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Since they built the boardwalk at Westhaven mullet jumping has become more common.
A marine friend suggested it was caused by male mullet wanting to see the scenery. That is a check out who is running on the boardwalk....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 3:54pm
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whatever the reason as to why mullet jump, (and does appear to be sexually motivated), it is even more interesting to notice their behaviour after leaving the water in their jump. Having studied this for ages, I see that as they leave the water, they  freeze and then just kind of fall back in while the body remains rigid.

This action of course has become known over the years as a 'stunned mullet'.

EG: My wife offered me a BJ last night and I just stood there like a stunned mullet.

Hope this helps.

Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 4:00pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jaypeegee jaypeegee wrote:

Originally posted by miktaras miktaras wrote:

Kriss Kross made them

Nah -  House of Pain did

One mullet told me it was Van Halen. 
Page  <12