Charter Fishing with Ripple Charters, Honiara

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charter Fishing with Ripple Charters, Honiara
    Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 11:20am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's been a few weeks since I got back but I thought I should drop a quick post to let people know about Henk and Ripple Fishing Charters, based out of the Honiara Yacht Club at Point Cruz. I head up to the Solomons a few times a year for work and have often wondered what the fishing was like - but being too busy working I never had the chance to get out there and give it go. This trip was different. 

I managed to wrangle a good chunk of time on a Sunday free - and after some asking around and searching the net, I found Ripples Fishing Charter. 

I rang the owner Henk (an ex Aussie Defence Force Chopper pilot) and we quickly hatched a bit of a plan. Staying at the Mendana Hotel right next door to the yacht club I quickly figured out that the flash looking 7m Aluminum Cat with brand spanking twin 250hp Opti's on the back was going to be our fishing platform. There's nothing like seeing a well maintained boat to inspire confidence that we were going to doing things properly. 

Sunday came and I met Henk down at the Yachtie and he rowed me out to the boat, we set up and away we went. Because I'd left it so late to arrange it his normal deckie wasnt available for the trip, but given I prefer to be working at sea - this was no problem, and gave me an opportunity to talk to Henk while we set the gear (he supplies all the gear - all shimano reels and rods) up and threw some lures out. It was good to see all of the safety gear on the boat too - very modern electronics standard on most NZ charter boats, and a mountain of bottled water. 

We found a workup pretty quickly but despite our best efforts towing mainly bibbed hard body lures around the school there were no hits. Henk then suggested we motor down back past the club toward a wreck that he knew would hold fish. 

Well that proved to be a great idea! It didnt take too long before two of the rods were bent, the reels screaming and I was on. I managed to drop the first fish (a reasonable wahoo) as lines crossed but was soon holding the second rod and enjoying playing and landing my first solomons wahoo. 

What speed machines they are! That pretty much was it for us for the fishing that day with the bite turning off so we ended up crusing home close in, passing dug out canoes with outriggers with single fishermen handline jigging for bottom fish. Henk was great company and ensured I was well supplied with bottles of water etc whilst he told me about living in Honiara and of course the fishing! 

Whilst we didnt load up on heaps of fish, it was awesome to get a break from work, get on the water on a safe platform, and gave me some ideas about bringing mechanical jig and popping gear back for next time. 

If you're in Honiara and itching for a fish - get in touch with Henk. He's a good bloke and is really into trying to put together trips for people to match their requirements - and has access to some great looking fishing places on some of the islands further offshore. If I had more time, that's where I'd be getting him to take me! Roll on next time. 

Cheers Henk! 

Dave