Light weight batteries

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light weight batteries
    Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 1:47pm
"Scooter" View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was at Viking in Matamata this morning and Steven showed me the battery he's currently running in his Yak.

It's from Seahorse "the kontiki people" and it weighs 1 3rd of the weight of the standard type batteries most of us use.

I just looked at the Seahorse web site an their not cheap next to the usual type,,but at this weight I'm going to get two,one for my FF and one for my night lights "in hull and mast" and still have less weight on board than one of the standard type.

Just a heads up for those that careWink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 2:00pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you have the brand and model number of those batteries?

Am curious to see where they came from, hard to believe designed for Kayaks...but...many applications need lighter batteries...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 4:50pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You are right they are amazingly light but I think I will wait a few years for the price to come down LOL

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 5:35pm
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Do you have the brand and model number of those batteries?

Am curious to see where they came from, hard to believe designed for Kayaks...but...many applications need lighter batteries...
They're a proprietary Seahorse product and come with a charger included in the price. I've been giving mine a hard life running a big Simrad 7" touch screen sounder on my Profish 400 and the batteries performance has been nothing short of awesome. The really cool thing is unlike the lead acid battery systems these don't mind being run flat; they don't progressively loose capacity and performance if run flat like the standard SLA's most of us use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boomslangnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 9:30pm
Boomslangnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Are we referring to the 8AH Battery for $65 on seahorse website?

It looks like a standard SLA to me but perhaps im wrong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 11:03pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

no, I don't think so, spoke to a mate with seahorse kontiki & they are about $300 but do come with a free charger. He explained life expectancy to me about 40 years from memory & reckoned it worked out cheaper then normal sla batts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Limitless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 8:07am
Limitless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Boomslangnz Boomslangnz wrote:

Are we referring to the 8AH Battery for $65 on seahorse website?

It looks like a standard SLA to me but perhaps im wrong.
The Seahorse batteries I'm talking about are 10Ah capacity LiFePO (Lithium) batteries that are in the same sized case as a normal 12-14Ah SLA. I've had a quick look on their website and didn't find them, but give Phil a ring on (07) 543 0266 and he'll be able to give you the info.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:56am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The upside to the lithium's other than weight is the fact they can be run entirely flat causing no damage and they don't get memory. They cant be charged on a normal charger though so don't be fooled into not getting a charger cause you have one at home :D 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 5:52pm
Monsterbishi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

And if you manage to poke a hole in one, run... after seeing what happens when a cellphone lithium cell fails - a big one would really be interesting!

Might have to invest in one of these though, sounds like the perfect solution as far as weight, storage and battery life goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:36pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by Chip'n Chip'n wrote:

no, I don't think so, spoke to a mate with seahorse kontiki & they are about $300 but do come with a free charger. He explained life expectancy to me about 40 years from memory & reckoned it worked out cheaper then normal sla batts.<div id="LCS_336D0C35_8A85_403a_B9D2_65C292C39087_communicationDiv">

Geez I hope they dont start using them in security systems. Replacing the battery every 40 years is not good for my security business lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gramya99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:29pm
gramya99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

you can buy from  just the batery by itself for $70 or the first one you buy you have to $370  because you need the lithium charger@ ttps://www.seahorse.net.nz/

or https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/seahorse-green-lithium-10ah-battery $369 with the lithium charger wich you have to  have.