Doubtless Bay ~ Cape Karikari

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doubtless Bay ~ Cape Karikari
    Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 8:17pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My stomping ground as well as Whangaroa ,Rangiputa and Houhora...
What an unspoilt fishing area...
Easy launching at Mill Bay with pontoon.. . As it denotes,  Mill bay is "normally" quiet and peaceful so nice single handed launching and retrieval is possible most times. This allows fishing at the harbour entrance and further afield along the coast to Berghans Point..  Fairway reef and Albert reef can be easily reached with approx a 25 min trip for jigging a few rat kingfish.. Great fishing all along this coast most times of the year..

Mill Bay Mangonui with pontoon for easy launching

Parking extends along the road and also the other side is available in summer.
Very full as popular ramp for Doubtless Bay in summer

Mill Bay.. Watch for the moored boats if coming in at night..

The Sign...

..............................................................................................................................................
Taipa is another great launching spot with a pontoon but there is a tidal rip apart  from low and high tide times..

Looking back to the ramp, pontoon and wharf at High tide..

Heading out.. keep to the right closer to the marker pole.. (see sandbank)

Can be very shallow water so lift you motor up when entering or leaving the harbour at low tide, watch the bricks on the starboard side as you leave the estuary and give your motor an extra flush to get rid of any sand you may have picked up.. This central point is the gateway to Doubtless Bay middle ground, Tokerau Beach and Cape Kari kari.. Summer fishing in the middle ground over the known reefs is very productive and also inshore during the winter months for some nice pannies and a feed..
Cable Bay and various rock spots along this coast will normally afford surfcasters some nice snapper at early morning or change of light in the evening.. Tokerau Beach is very productive with surfcasting and Kontikis.. Can drive onto the beach from one of the access roads...
Beach Launching from Matai Bay opens up some of the best jigging over various pinnacles for some horse kingfish up and around Cape KariKari and offshore... Some magic fishing in this area and some 20+ fish caught close in and around the pinnacles.... A good sounder is the key...
Got a big enough boat.. head straight out 30 miles to the deep water and there's puka, bass, gemfish and bluenose to be caught...
Happy to take PM's and let you know whats happening at any time of year

PS:  Please dont ask for GPS kingfish or Puka pins...

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 6:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

Over the Hill.. and 30 mins drive north from Coopers Beach is Rangiputa.. 
Turn off (right) at the Karikari Peninsular road but gas up and get your bait from the Shell Station at Taipa ...  
Fishing gear is available from tas-tackle (021 2527147) when in Coopers Beach/ Mangonui area..
Launching is off the beach ... It's a shallow launch and your vehicle has to be left above the high water mark horizontal to the water...  unless you want to take your rig up to the road..   No problems in the cooler months but can get busy over the xmas and holiday periods...

Turn left up the harbour and anchor up on the shallows beside a bank.... running water, plenty of burley and floating baits out the back will soon see the boat loading up on some nice fish, some oversize..  lots of fun fighting these fish in shallow water... softbaits can be all the go as well ..
These flats are renowned for some horse trevally... and magic on light gear.
Early morning or late evening is best...
Then you can scoot out the harbour entrance and turn left or right towards Puheke and out to the middle or East Beach and down towards Houhora.. As you leave Rangiputa.. make yourself aware of the bricks at the harbour entrance and a good GPS will simply solve this problem for you..

Both these areas produce some great fish and further out in the middle in 80 feet of water can produce some magic soft bait fishing on the drift..
Ask anyone who has fished this area... still unspoilt and producing fish on a regular basis..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 6:21pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some Bloody good info there doodWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 6:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers... Love this place....Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Greywulff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 4:42pm
Greywulff View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great Posts Fisher Thumbs Up
Your not walking on water while I'm fishing here.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 4:13am
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome posts thanks.. 
 I have a 23' Tohatsu that sits high on the trailer and once I've recovered from recent surgery on my shoulder I want to do some fishing up there. I've looked  at the ramps at Houhora and they look good, can you tell me if any of the others are reasonably steep? I'd like to  fish Whangaroa and Doubtless bay too. Thanks for all the info given, I'll def check out Reel Rods
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 4:15am
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

One trip up there and I love the place already
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 11:21am
Titanium
Titanium

Whangaroa is concrete but can be a little slippery when tide out... but normally no problem...   Mangonui is a great ramp with a pontoon so very easy launch...  Totara Nth is also a good concrete ramp opposite Whangaroa but you need to be setup on the boat with all foods and fuel beforehand.. just depends on which direction your coming from as to whether you use Whangaroa or Totara Nth

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 10:08am
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Tas, that's very helpful and much appreciated. The shoulder surgery was a major and it's made me re think a few things so I'm planning on moving North. Hopefully I'll meet you up there one day and thank you personally. Until then I'll be reading your posts with interest and envy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2014 at 1:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

Come on up... Plenty of room and plenty of fish...  I moved here for the fishing...  and the warmer summers/winters.....  Doubtless is a magical spot...    and IMHO one of the best sport fishery in NZ...
I too got ill and thought there had to be a better lifestyle than the humdrum of city life..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 10:55am
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys, can anyone give out how's the fishing like along the shore in Doubtless? Me and Mrs heading up this weekend for 2 nights and keen to do some fishing off the rocks (somewhere).
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pipo de Clown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 9:21am
Pipo de Clown View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow looks awesome. Good info on the launching too. I might give it a go!