fiji south coast

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fiji south coast
    Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 7:38pm
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

got a week at the shangri - la for a wedding. I am taking some popping gear, any shore based spots around here or good charter options, other than the resort boat?
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote timfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 8:55pm
timfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, I stayed on the coral coast. (is that where you will be?) got the run around from the charter companies, it will be sweet if you got 1200$ for the day, or people to share the costs otherwise just got to wait for other tourists that are keen to popper fish. Not sure of the names. Ended up fishing of the reefs land based for the last couple of days had some strikes but landed nothing. ask the resort they will point you in the right direction. Fish the drop offs and on top of the reefs should get into some gt's

good luck

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 7:03am
Platinum
Platinum

thanks tinfish, yep it is coral coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 4:50pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go talk with the locals and get out with the early morning local fishing crews. Throw them some bucks. They'll do their thing trolling and put you on the spots near the reef fringes. Best bang for your money and no doubt make a few friends. A lot of resorts have their own boat and locals who catch tuna for the resort, just tag along for the ride. oh and seriously jealous
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 5:19pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My favourite spot in Fiji, make sure you check out the snorkling in the lagoonSmile. I was over there again in August and didn't bother going out as the fishing had been so poor. When you get there ask for Tess at the water sports or Aku (spelling???) at the mini golf and tell them that Greg from NZ told you to ask about the fishing. Aku may be able to organise a trip with a local fisherman and we have had some good trolling trips there before catching, Yellow Fin tuna, mahimahi(yum), wahoo, smaller tuna etc. I'm sure that with popper gear that the guys could use the reef trolling boat to run you close to the reef but it wont be cheap. The lagoon is full of fish but is a marine reserve, UNLESS you walk across the river and down the beach to the other side where it is OK to fish but I haven't bothered. I know where the landbased GTs are at Denerau Smile, but the Shangrila is a MUCH better Fiji experience. If you want to know more PM me your ph numberWink 
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ocean Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 8:20pm
Ocean Blue View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Sid,

If your interested I could send you some info for the best options for the coral coast.  My team might be able to put you in with a group, or you could charter the boat solo. That area has some great options including Beqa and Vatulele, reefs, islands, seamounts and bluwater. This time of year is wahoo season, plus your GT's etc. I've fished this area a bit, aswell as Ono island Kadavu and it's worth getting excited about. Not many options land based, the Coral Coast is a bit picture post card at high tide but reefy rubble at low tide, plus you'll need permission from the local's who rely on it for food. 

Cheers David

Fishing Vanuatu - Trees & Fishes Anglers Lodge | Vanuatu Mothership Adventures | New Caledonia | Malaysia
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 8:42pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys for the tips. Should be another bod or two from the wedding keen to join me I reckon in a charter, mostly interested in targeting GT's. I know of a guy out of Denerau who my mate has been succesful with but about an hour from where we will be as I understand it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 9:59pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi sid I have sent an email off to Mango Bay resort to find out if Brett Roberts is still there , he has taken me out several times. Brett was the first person to take me around Beqa Island, it took him 1 tank of gas before we stopped and started fishing.

http://www.sportfishingfiji.com/

The othere place you could try is Sonasali Resort they used to do a 1/2 day trip for about $400-00 for the boat, a 23-26' boaton whailer with 450 hp on it , not sure if they still do it, they should be able to get you around to Natandola beach where you can cast to your hearts content all along the coast to it and back there is plenty of fish just cast hard, PS watch the breakers coming in behind you 

http://www.sonaisali.com/

I was the 2 years ago and caught a 128lb yellow fin Tuna and have cought several other things with them.

As was said in another responce the coast is a rough one and I dought you will find an area to fish for big fish on the bricks.

Ask plenty of questions before takeing a charter on there is a trend to get just outside the area morred and start trawling or popping , from having been there for 18 years and living for 3 I found most fish to be a small distance from most places as they all fish there and you have to get away from most localized places.

I hope this helps .

regs Ian

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 11:38am
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks all for the info. Thought I'd let ya know what happened

Got one day out in the end, we went to an offshore reef out of Pacific harbour with on a charter with an aussie we bumped into with similar goals. Went about 30NM out to a wicked looking reef where the water comes out of 400m plus straight up onto a big reef. The surf was huge as the big storm down here had been sending massive swells north.

We trolled around the reef looking for wahoo and casted into the wash and reef. But with the trade winds at 20kts ish and the big swells making the skipper a bit nervous about getting close into the reef, it was hard work to get the lures into the right zone for trevally.

We went back to trolling and got a big wahoo under some birds on a ballyhoo with a skirt on it head. So seeing we was in the fish zone while the wahoo was being pulled in we immediately started biffing poppers around off the front and were rewarded with a small yellowfin. 

So was all fun and games for a short time with a wahoo on at the back of the boat and a small yellowfin on the popper set at the front.

Aftrer this we went back to casting into the breakers and reef areas and put in several hundred casts into the wind and our only further reward was a strike and miss from a probable GT and a big coral trout coming up and tickling the lures later.

Then banged back into wind home. Good day out, didn't quite get onto what I was after but enjoyed the trip thoroughly and will be back for another crack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 11:30pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If the atol was south west of pacific harbour the daughter caught a 40 lb Wahoo there and we caught several smaller yellowfin . A great place in the sun good on you looks like fun 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 12:10am
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yikes, we fished straight out from the resort a couple of years back and caught 2 small tuna 3 mahimahi and 5 YFT. All this for about $119 Fijian each, and we left a massive YFT workup visible from the resort because we had too many fish. There are GT's much closer to the resortWink  
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ocean Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 1:58am
Ocean Blue View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Ian,

Brett left Mango Bay some years ago - he is now married and living in Norway running a beach volleyball center! Danny still runs the fishing - same crew - Johnny, Freddy and Mikey!  

Cheers David
Fishing Vanuatu - Trees & Fishes Anglers Lodge | Vanuatu Mothership Adventures | New Caledonia | Malaysia
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 8:25am
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Ocean Blue Ocean Blue wrote:

Hi Ian,

Brett left Mango Bay some years ago - he is now married and living in Norway running a beach volleyball center! Danny still runs the fishing - same crew - Johnny, Freddy and Mikey!  

Cheers David

Hi David I will look you up on my next trip be good to go back and catch some more where I have been before its good fun there see you later, Ian