SAMOA FISHING

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAMOA FISHING
    Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 5:51pm
Alexis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mates

I'll go to Samoa for one week in half September. Probably I'll go a day in Charter (quite expensive) but the other day? 

Someone know if there is some shore fishing opportunities? Maybe some shore fishing spot? Popper fishing?

Thanks for any suggestion!!!

Alex
If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business.
Alfred W. Miller
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 10:28pm
Alexis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys 

No one can help me?

I found this

http://flickr.com/photos/troppofishingadventures/4766673937/in/photostream/

Hopeful good!!!! someone know that spot? or other in Samoa? I'll be in Savaii one week and in opolu 1 week!!!

I would like buy a gear for my fishing trip... I'll be there in 4 days and I found this rod (I need 2 piece for travel):

http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/1484002-ugly-stik-spin-rod2-piece-7ft-812kg-p-3470.html

and this reel

http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/aerlex-xs-800-spinning-long-cast-surf-fishing-reel-10kg-p-9845.html

with 50 lb braid

This gear is to light for the GT? usually the Gt gear is about 600-700 dollars... to much for me!!!

Thanks for any suggestion

Alex

Alfred W. Miller
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:20pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Come on guys, some of you must have "been there and done that". I used my SP rod 6-8kg off the rocks in Fiji to catch GT's up to 7kg but and slightly heavier popper setup would have been better. I'm sure that there are lots of cheaper options available in Samoa, but don't compromise safety. I'd try any rocks or headland with some current.
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 12:38am
Alexis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks mate for your reply  

What time do you catch your GTS? Change of light or in the middle of the day? with popper? any tide? GT up 7 kg lb of line? sorry for all this question but I don't know this kind of fish...

Alex

Alfred W. Miller
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 11:46am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alexis i dont know much about fishing in Samoa having not been there since i was 14 but "GT's" are Giant Trevally if you want to google them.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 12:59pm
1more View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Alex, there are some land-based, or coral reef-based spots, around the islands though it's easier to get access if you have a local with you.  Most people there use surf casting gear with mono (10-15kg is common), often with clear plastic 'egg' floaters - the ones you can fill with water to help shoot the lure over. Be aware that some villages now have marine reserves.

For bigger GT's, the options are better but more expensive. Usually involves a boat taking you outside the reef so you can cast back into the breakers, or over bommies. Any popper will do it. 7kg line seems a bit light for GT's as they have no manners (and you might be in a race with the sharks). I've seen 15kg to 24 kg mono or braid being used, or higher.

Our best times there were change of light, a sprinkle of rain, and not much wind.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SINNER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:57pm
SINNER View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Get in touch with Alfred Schwalger (not sure if thats the correct spelling) He used to be the skipper for Troppo Charters and also does private charters from his own boat out of Apia. He used to write the Samoan fishing report in the Fishing News mag so pm Craig Worthington on here.
Also theres is the guy who owns one of the sports stores in Apia called Ren. Both are great skippers.
Hope this helps.
<000<< Here Fishy Fish <000<<
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:07am
Seadoc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Alexis, I spent 10 days in Samoa in July. I went out from Apia with a very nice bloke called Alfred and he can be contacted at [email protected]. He has a 3 month old 7.95m Kingfisher Hardtop with a 225 Honda and good electronics. He is very involved in the Samoa sport fishing circles and know the spots in the area well. He has good quality trolling gear on the boat (Shimano Tiagra) but you will have to take your own jigging, popping and SP gear which was what I did. You can catch a taxi from Aggies to Apia. He provides food and drinks (including a few beers!)

I caught some dogtooth tunas and various bottom species including coral trout and long nose snapper on the jigging outfit and a reasonable mahi mahi while trolling some lures on the way back. I did not have any luck with the popping but you only have so much time in a day! There are numerous places where you can fish soft plastics from the rocks (not too many around Aggies) but you have to ask the locals permission to cast a line.

I went out with a guy called Sale from Savaii and we got a GT in one late afternoon fishing trip in a small dinghy. He has bought a bigger boat now. I will get his email addy for you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:41pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone been recently? I will be up there this week. I have one clear day and another half a day opportunity to do some land based fishing. Either savai'i as I can rent a Scooter or Upolu if I rent a car?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Harmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 7:56am
Harmul View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Polar_Kiwis Polar_Kiwis wrote:

Anyone been recently? I will be up there this week. I have one clear day and another half a day opportunity to do some land based fishing. Either savai'i as I can rent a Scooter or Upolu if I rent a car?

Talk to the locals is my best bet. Heaps cheaper than charters, and you catch fish you will never have dreamt of or heard of before, and then watch how they prepare and cook them to. QUite often this takes more than a day and a half though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 9:29am
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Harmul

Will give it heaps in the time I have. Always good to get a line wet in a new location. Catching a fish will be a bonus...

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:21pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Extreme limits charters .Skippered by a kiwi guy Johnathan. top bloke who really knows his stuff.Based in Apia but can pick up from other resorts around the island.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chong17366 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:01am
Chong17366 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

anyone got new intel on shore based spots ... interested to hear about spots near Lefega, Samoa ??? !!!