Polishing Paua Shells

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote haydogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polishing Paua Shells
    Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 2:53pm
haydogs View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello. My girlfriend wants me to polish up the outside of a big paua shell for some artwork. Whats the best method?
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bokken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:29pm
bokken View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

angle grinder to get off the lime, then very fine wet/dry sandpaper to polish. be prepared for lots of broken shells before you get the hang of it. also wear a dust mask/googles. also it stinks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Besty. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:36pm
Besty. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

wire wheels on the bench grinder to a good job of tearing the top layer off. Same with sanding belts. hard to gauge how far through you are though. It sinks alright.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:47pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It stinks so bad I would just go buy her a polished shell from a tourist store along with a six pack of beer then spend three hours in the shed drinking the beer pretending to work on the shell.

I took the calcium off a shell a while back using some industrial water de-scaler solution - but it made the remainder of the shell very weak and I don't know where to purchase the chemical from 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:51pm
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Something I was going to ask myself as the moster paua is going on the wall in some shape or form. 

I was thinking of doing it using a dremel-like tool, and using the extension attachment to actually grind it underwater to trap the dust and kill the stink.  Anyone tried that before?  It'll take a while, but should work.  Then I can wet'n'dry it down to a nice shine, a bit of resin or laquer and Roberts yer farvers bruvver! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 5:07pm
Eric de Vries View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

From the sea straight into fresh water if you know you are going to polish the shell. this way the calcium on the outside is still softish and will make it easier. The rest of the advice is as above.

http://www.southernbluefins.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 6:02pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post it off to southern paua in Kaikoura, and pay for them to do it. The dust when you grind it is really bad for you, you can get sort of asbestosis. They make a great job of it too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 6:04pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A polished paua shell goes for about $10 to $20 so there must be an easier way, surely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 6:43pm
Kezza 1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

bury it in the ground for a year or so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andr'e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 8:20pm
Andr'e View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

definitly dont grind it yourself, deadly poisons, thats unless you wouldnt mind growing a third leg or some random part 
miss by an inch miss by a mile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Top Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 8:32pm
Top Cat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

oooohhh the smell of stinky shells Dead
I believe the best shells are from the bottom of the south island (colder water) - the colour is a darker blue -  and the shell is thicker (although that may be due to being older).
I'll give it 5 more minutes...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 9:53pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Teezer,
 give it a good wash in the dishwasher...
then once every couple of months a small amount of vege oil in the shell keeps it shiny
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gareth27934 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 3:14pm
Gareth27934 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Go to Mitre 10, Get some spirits of salts (Hydrochloric acid, wear gloves) and brush it on with a toothbrush. Have a bucket of water handy to drop the shell into to stop the reaction.

No grinding needed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:14pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post it off to southern paua in Kaikoura, and pay for them to do it. The dust when you grind it is really bad for you, you can get sort of asbestosis. They make a great job of it too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shiraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:21pm
shiraz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What DD said, takes them about 5 mins & cost about a fiver. Same service available in Riverton
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:41pm
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by felixx felixx wrote:

Teezer,
 give it a good wash in the dishwasher...
then once every couple of months a small amount of vege oil in the shell keeps it shiny
However that only does the inside
Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VP Shark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 1:08pm
VP Shark View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Diver Dan

Saw your signature re Glen Innes Spearfishing club, can you please provide details for the club? TIA