Sea Anchor Set Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Anchor Set Up
    Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 9:53pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just thinking about setting up a more permanent set up for my sea anchor. Not sure if this is in the right section of the forum.

I have been thinking about what distance I should have it sitting off the stern of the boat.

I was thinking of making a "Y" bridle with the anchor sitting approx 3-4 meters off the stern.

Has any one had a play around with the distance they set their sea anchor at?

Does it make a difference?

Also thinking of putting a small float on the end of the sea anchor (Like Bender's set up - I think)

At the moment I just tie it off on one corner of the boat and find that I always end up at some strange angle to the wind and swell.

Any ideas or feed back would be miuch appreciated.

Will post pictures once I have it set up and the results.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 10:44pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah we get the angle to when only 1 out on the side.

Often have 2 out so keeps us pretty straight.  With the hard top we find that even two doesn't slow us down to much unless it is very light winds.

Your idea sounds good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 7:03pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha just doing this myself.I was using two one on each corner,then I had a mishap so bought one big bugger (recommended for 36ft not 18).
After water skiiking on the weekend I am just going to use the bridle with a pully atachment to the drouge.Also has a float and trip line.Should be sweet.I think it should hold the boat at way better angles.
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 8:53pm
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Or if your really budget buy a bunnings garden bag or two and rig them up.   You will get looked at funny though
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 10:15pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3 to 4 meters behind the outboard is fine,use bungee cord between the boat and sea anchor to absorb the shock from the waves and stop the water slopping into the cockpit when its ruff...bridle the thing off both cnrs to keep the boat strait ....put a float on so if it breaks free you dont loose it 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 10:20pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks fellas,

OOf2fish, like the idea of the bungee cord . . . will give it a crack . .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea-Sharpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 1:41pm
Sea-Sharpe View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hmm will have to look at this too, nothing worse than a funny drift angle

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote River Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 2:51pm
River View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I drift with my sea anchor on the corner on purpose, I find the angle give me fishing space for the people on board.
I often find in stronger wind the boat straightens out anyway.
I like the idea of the bridle though for straight stern first drift though.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 3:31pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wasn't over the moon about my sea anchor set up.

Have just added a small float to one of the lines on mine to prevent it spinning and upgraded to a longer rope than what it had (was sitting 4 - 5m off back but getting less and less with the line twisting). First outing with the longer line (sea anchor sitting about 6 - 7m out back) was in about 25kts and was much more comfortable than the shorter line I had up till a couple of weeks ago. It didn't feel like the boat was fighting the sea anchor so much in this position. It was choppy as hell too that day and usually in those conditions we get a bit of water slamming the back of the boat. Just need to lengthen the trip line now.

A lot happier with the way it's set up now.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 17544 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 8:10pm
17544 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi just a thought when using a drouge a float is important but more important is a retrieve rope when move off the target you just the rope it turns the drogue inside out and bob is your uncle and a heavy retrieve is elementated very simple

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 7:18am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

This topic is as good for argument as what's the best marlin lure. My personal preferences are ...... (others have different views but it's always good for a four pints of beer "discussion.")

I prefer to have the drogue bridle rigged as it is more effective at keeping the boat going straight downwind. I don't like it rigged off the corner as the boat tends to drift at a 45 degree angle to the wind and the people fishing on the side of the drogue will have constant problems hooking it. Nothing worse than a braid outfit tangled and wrapped round a drogue that has been spinning. It also gets in the way when landing fish - the stern quarter is where the fish will come up when drift fishing. Especially big ones.

On my boat the bridle lines come just either side of the outboard because I found that when I rigged them to the corners the lines got in the way.

I like the drogue well out the back - more like 7 or 8 metres. I use a big float - a four litre plastic bottle clipped on to the front of the drogue (helps keep the "mouth" open) with a large longline clip. This prevents the drogue spinning and keeps it on the surface at all times. Otherwise, I find that the drogue will sink in lighter winds - and will for sure get in the way as you are trying to land that trophy snapper.

Much trial and error in this but I wouldn't have it any other way, now.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 7:22am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Oh yes, it helps to have a Bays Canvas drogue - they are excellent.
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 8:13am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is how ive set mine up and they suit my boat and my needs very well.

Thiers 1 drouge on each side of the boat.

The bungee cord is doubled up and attached to the hand rail at the back and to the drouge,the system works for me and people that fish in my boat dont seem to have any dramas setting them and retrieving them.

Usually we will pull up onto the drift we want to do and throw them over the side with the boat still moving relativly fast, they unroll and set them selves very quickly.
The earlier version had no bungee and long ropes and were all ways tangling together and rolling.They had tail retrieve ropes on them but that was way to much rope to untangle.
In the rough weather its best to have a bit of length so the sea anchor isnt breaking thru the waves and tangling.Ive found that the bungee cord stops this and ive been able to bring them in closer,the bungee is brilliant in the choppy seas as it "gives" and stops the waves slopping into the cock pit.
If you fish with the lines out the back of the boat on the drift you may want the drouges a bit further back to stop them tangling with the lines.
Personally im going to get ohsif to make 2 small parachute anchors and do away with the drougues as these are not the best in 20knts plus,they work but i want the boat going as slow as poss in the strong winds.
When you purchase the drouges they are never made for what they say they are,the two im running were suposed to be for a 8mtr boat and 2 of them are only just good enough for a 6 mtr boat..

Drouges 2x $65
bungee       $25

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ajst2duk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 1:23pm
ajst2duk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That's a tidy looking system - awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 9:35pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As a kayak fisherman, the drouge is my best friend and would'nt leave home with out her! Actually, even in a yak, some times I use two at a time to reduce my drift speed over a school of fish or structure.   I'm surprised alot of you use such short ropes from the stern of you boats.  Bender has hit the nail on the head with rope length, and the aid of a float to keep the unit up on the surface in light winds.  With a longer rope, there is no need for shock cord (good idea tho) as the angle of pull is reduced and the lift of boat on swells / chop reduces the shock effect.  With a correct rope length you actually won't even feel the boat fighting againt the drouge.  Another positive with regard to longer ropes, as a safety issue a short rope has the ability to de-stabilize our yaks and made the drift dangerous and uncomfortable.  All to our own, but this is from a yak fishermans experiance.

Connoisseur of fine beers and ales!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 11:39pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alot of my fishing is short drifts Hermit,started with long ropes but thier was way to much rope involved which ment constant untangling...with a long rope you need a tail rope to haul it in quickly..with the short versions i can get them in real quick and no need for the tail ropes....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 6:20pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use a sea-biscut bride i bought from burnsco works very well and costed me $25 Smile 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Pick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 8:35pm
C Pick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

An old thread I know but is there any particular reason why you guys rig the drogue off the stern and not the bow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 8:55pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I always run mine off the side when softbaiting and cast off other side of boat. Have large bollards on each side of boat where cockpit meets cabin. Run rope to drogue reasonably short. 16 foot stabicraft with high rocket launcher and canopy so fair bit of windage. This setup works well for me and quick to retrieve when repositioning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Pick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 9:51pm
C Pick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've just bought a sea anchor, never run one on a pleasure boat before. Worked on a squid jigger a few years back, always ran a drogue off the bow then. For rope length we used a rule of thumb about one wavelength away from the boat.

I was thinking of running a rope from the bow bollard around the side and leaving it there to attach the sea anchor and set/retrieve from the cockpit. My 6.5m HT gets a lot of windage and I prefer to sit bow into the chop.