Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 847848849
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 11:03pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bummer about your brother turtling and losing gear, I tie my stuff down, but that doesn't suit everyone.
I'll take you up on the boat invite, it would be great to get a King.
 On the trip over on Monday I flicked my stick bait at A buoy 20 or 30 times, in the hope of a king, but the current wasn't very lively. I'm surprised how far I can cast the damn thing from the yak though.
I like to fish the Bays in the morning, but the big boil ups are usually later.
As for electricity, yes it helps with the squalls and head winds, Amen, but  six hours of digging the paddle in is still yakking. My 4.7m yak is a tank, but when the water is flat I prefer just using my fancy carbon fiber paddle without even a rudder to slow me down. 
I cooked the two snaps I got at Motutapu over charcoal, two 35cm fish just fit in my portable weber, it takes some prep but it's a tasty way to go. 
 After you went in on Saturday, I used those Macs I picked up for bait, I butterflied them, beautiful baits they were, and I caught two big fish, one was large and aggro and it jumped! I suppose one might get aggro if everyone said your head looked like a hammer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 5:11pm
Gold
Gold

There was another window this morning, so I got out for the third time this week, makin' hay while the sun shines...a couple of hours passed without very much happening, and then a lot happened in a few minutes. 
I'm enjoying the flavor of barbequed  whole snapps at the minute, the 35cm models are turning out well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 10:48pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work Dave. Catching good sized fish  challenge for a lot of boat fishers. And you are doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 4:29pm
Gold
Gold

The light show is always stunning... I started out with a metal lure this morning, I replaced the hooks on my 21gm Flea with  cheap Aliexpress hooks, at less than a dollar a pair they work well. I caught a 30cm kahawai straight up, so decided to put out some decent big snapper baits, the first bait soaked for about 10 min then bang, the rod buckled over and the yak started going sideways, after about 10 sec it bite my 60lb trace off...shark:) , so I went back to softbaiting and used one Atomic sunrise with a 3/8 weight all morning, no more sharks were provoked. Some of those little snapps fight like sharks, and they taste good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 9:47pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice work  , would  have been good conditions this morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 10:26pm
Gold
Gold

It was a nice morning to be in the yak, and the last of summer 2024, next Thursday might be ok by the look, it's Autumn already. I really should go with the flow and take up sailing, but I hate the bloody wind. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 4:24pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished Pt Chev yesterday after work. Got to my spot, not much current with 2 hrs or so to low tide
Few undersize went back followed by my only keeper for the day, from half pillie on 1oz dropper rig..... all within 20mins of fishing
Stuck it out for a further 2.5hrs for bait thieves, undersize & throwback 30cm snaps

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 4:37pm
Gold
Gold

Nice looking fish BB, and a good way to spend the last day of Summer. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 7:45pm
Gold
Gold

I had a session with bait today, but my fish finder died on the way out, kaput, no power, so I just paddled out and drifted with the tide and wind.
 Hundreds of shearwaters and sooty terns were flying north, with a kestrel  above, but I didn't see any boil ups. The snaps had crabs and Mantis shrimps in their guts. 
Fish finder or no fish finder, soft bait or bait, the same results, go figure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 12:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have decided not replace my fish finder on  kayak Dave… they only seem to last 4-5 years tops on yak. I have gone through 2 garmins now, last a striker 3. I have older model garmin on boat must be over 8 years old and sits out on rain, whereas  yak was garage stored. The boat fish finder still going good , touch wood.
Never really thought having fish finder made big difference to results out here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 6:51pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Probably not on original topic but anyway I have a Lowrance x59 on my prowler 13 which has had an absolute hammering . It's now near on 20 yrs old and still going good as new ..guess they not made like they used to be
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 2:12pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very slow going at Pt Chev this morning... 3hr sesh
Got 1 for the bin within 10mins of fishing & buggar all else for the next 2.5hrs
Hardly any sign coming thru with just bait thieves & undersize plus up to 31cm going back
Also, very unusual with water temp, just last week, it was 23.2 deg today 20.2, that's a huge drop in temp which usually brings the fish on, not this time
Pillies got the best fish of the day, squid got the rest
Just 2 for the bin 40 & 52cm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 11:49am
Gold
Gold

Nice fish bb, wow what a big drop in sea temp you saw within the week, autumn just like that.
I pottered around with my fish finder and discovered the red wire had snapped off inside the plug casing going to the battery, must have hit a wave and something moved.
 I don't know why I use the ff, it's probably a screen addiction, to add to my fishing addiction.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 2:57pm
Gold
Gold

I was out early today, and loving it.
 A stones throw from the beach I saw  a lot of what I thought was bait fish sign, so I dropped a couple of metal lures into it but only got little snapper, lots of them. I picked up a mac and a kahawai so I went out further for a bait session. I rerigged my stick bait rod with a two hook snood rig with a circle hook on the bottom, and  flung out long narrow strips of bait with a 1/4 oz sinker, it seemed to work as the little nibblers were unable to polish off the baits before a bigger fish grabbed it. I don't remember who showed me that, but it's useful when there are lots of nibblers...thank god the hammerheads have moved on...I caught the snaps I wanted by 9:00am. Conditions were really sweet, no wind, calm sea, what more do yah want:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 9:18pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice feed there mate looks like the gulf is starting to fire again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:23am
Gold
Gold

There are a lot of small snaps and bait fish in close, but you have to be patient to get the bigger fish where I am. 
Apropos of nothing, I just read an astonishing report from the WWF, since 1970, the number of animals of all types: animals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish has decreased by 70%. 
The world trend is for fish stocks to become depleted, the figure for Latin America is 94%. I hope NZ can buck that trend, but I doubt a libertarian minister of  fishing is going to help much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 9:48pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went to Mokes in weekend, was better for snapper off Leigh. Go figure. Admittedly only using jigs… but very weird.. got nice king in big workup inside Mokes, nice consolation where a marlin should have been. But jigs at Mokes didn’t go well for us. Got few nice fish km off leigh harbour after. Only little ones off Pakiri.. Just getting weirder… but bent hooks and lost a big one on a bottom ship,  1km off boat ramp. Within easy kayaking distance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 40 minutes ago at 10:56am
Gold
Gold

Great timing getting out to the Mokes Shane, sounds like a tonic, I've only seen videos of the place, it looks awesome. I wonder what you might have hooked with big baits:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 6 minutes ago at 9:30pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Retired by this time next year. Your yak will fit in even my current boat tied down. From what we saw in weekend some off those resi fish vacate to 110m  when going off. That said even 60ms -70m is inclose to rocks, and going off with birds  can be pretty awesome on the day. Going real close in your still 20m. Yesterday action was wide inside Mokes where wind was. Awesome though. Grouper Rock would been great with big baits anchored on incoming late  evening yesterday.
Page  <1 847848849