Poss Fontinalis and 6 lbs of Rainbow at the Hine

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poss Fontinalis and 6 lbs of Rainbow at the Hine
    Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 8:16pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok - it was actually 6 x 1 lbers + one skinny maiden.

Nice tea coloured water and nobody about today on the Hinemaiaia. Walked almost up to the dam and entertained by really agressive juviniles. Mostly on bead head pheasant tails. One small fish looked a bit strange - large blue dots down its side - I'm wondering fontinalis? Saw a few spawning couples amongst the logs but left them well alone.

Should be good in a couple of weeks and with a few more freshes and temperature drop. Lovely little river the upper part.

"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 9:08pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

quote[   One small fish looked a bit strange - large blue dots down its side - I'm wondering fontinalis? ]

wow, sounds like it Barbary.
Reminds me the one & only brookie I caught is hanging on the wall at the Taupo Anglers Club---must make the effort to get down there to up-lift.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 7:28am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I tried to find some images of an immature fontinalis but could only find adult ones - it definitely looked like it could be one. Six or seven large pool cue chalk coloured dots down the lateral line. I thought the fontinalis were all above the dam though and am wondering if a couple of fry could have got through - I guess so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:09pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

My mate Tom Northcroft caught a juvenile at the Waitahanui stream mouth some years ago.
He returned it to the water as it was undersized.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwifisher1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 12:59pm
Kiwifisher1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Found this pic of a juvinile fontinalis on an American website...any help?
Bending rods since the 70's
www.kiwifisher.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 1:12pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have been talking with TTC Doc and they supplied this picture...
My feedback was that it was very similar except more silvery. Could be a local adaption of the fontinalis or even a cross breed. Will post more when they get back to me.