Out with the "Twelves"

Page  <1 391392393
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 12:06pm
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice to see you still getting out regularly Geoff.  I was surprised to see you using Gulps again and thought that you had gone over to the dark side. I must have some old packets lying around somewhere that I should use up. I still prefer the big gulp new penny curly tails for wash fishing though. There's something about those that really works. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 12:52pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out this morning on the firth on the sand at about 7.30. Drop and drag in 10 mtrs, Zman new penny was the colour today in curly tail.

Tried out the Baitjunkie jig heads, they really hold the soft bait on with their 2 spikes that stick out and bite into the plastic. Worth trying normally a couple of bites when I’m dragging a bait and it’s wind in and re-thread the bait back into the keeper.

Plenty of fish around home by 9.00 with 7 snapper around the 350mm and one that went 500mm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 8:04pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work, Kerry.
Quite strong easterlies over this way today, so you were on the right coast for some shelter.
Good real life user feedback on the Daiwa jigheads. I've found the TT Lures jigheads (made for Z Man's distributor in Australia, and available via Marine Deals), and the Z Man jigheads  (I've got online from the US) are excellent with Z Mans. Both have high quality hooks ( Mustad). The Z Mans have the same kind of twin barbs that the Daiwa have. I see Daiwa is using BKK, which are obviously top hooks. The Ocean Angler lightbulbs also have the gap behind the head and the large ribs which hold Z Mans quite well, but I think their no-name hooks are pretty average. Go blunt and rust faster than top hooks.

I saw a YouTube vid the other day which covered the different angles of the 'tow point' - where you tied on the leader. I have never thought about it before, but some are 90 degrees to the hook, some are 60 degrees,a nd some more like 45 degrees. And, of course, that makes a difference to how the bait sits on the hop or retrieve. 

I guess I'll never know if it really makes a difference, but I have more confidence with jigheads with eyes - particularly with a body that is designed to look like a baitfish or maybe a squid. This is a Z Man one. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 9:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Lester

I’ve been using the OC lightbulb jig head for a few years and yes your right the hooks are average and are a thicker gauge which I do think effects the hookup rate. I do find they can split the head of the smaller baits like the curly tails.

I’ve been using the bait Junkie 4in grubs for about a year now and the motor oil colour which is closer to a new penny has become my favourite. Interestingly I was concerned about the durability of the bait Junkie and found they got chewed up and ripped off a bit, I was using the lightbulb head.

This is the second time I’ve used the bait Junkie head, today I had 2 rods out the back. One with lightbulb and Zman curly tail and one with bait Junkie head and grub. Probably caught around 20 fish, lost a couple of curly tails that were simply pulled off but didn’t lose a bait Junkie grub all day in fact didn’t even have to readjust the bait Junkie at all and the grub caught more fish.

I’ve got heaps of Zmans so will try the bait Junkie heads on them next time and yes the angle on the front of the bait Junkie head looks better than the lightbulb so I do think they tow at the better angle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 9:38pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very interesting.
I have brought in a couple of Bait Junkie grub colours from Australia that we can't get here, and they show real promise. One is a blend of brown/pepper on the back with watery chartreuse on the belly, and the other is a flecked pale orange UV (like a prawn/shrimp). 
Solid results so far in the greenish water of the Tamaki Strait. 

It's a bit disappointing that we can't get the full Bait Junkie range here, but I guess it's an indication of the size of the market. And my sense - given they're often 'bargain bin' price - that Bait Junkies are not making much of a dent in the Gulp/Z Man dominance here.
I'd be very interested to know the real story of market share, with Catch in the mix as well.

Bait Junkie seems to be going okay in Australia - which is a much bigger lure fishing market (versus bait) than NZ, I would say. I am still amazed at the percentage of bait fishos to lure fishos out on the Waitemata. A lot more boats anchored with four mates fishing off the back with ledger rigs etc than drifting with softies or jigs.

And with softbaits, I know a few guys who buy one or two colours, and that's all they ever use. Keeps their life simple, but I'm too curious - always looking for the next secret weapon!! 
Page  <1 391392393