Whats ya RIG?

Page  <1 757677
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 5:46pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was a sad day when the Kingfisher (Salty Dawg) departed, but needed something a little smaller for solo missions.
After a few months of pain waiting for the right boat. Yesterday - bingo. No mucking around, picked it up today. A few nice extras and only 53hrs on the clock. Can't wait to get back out there. Welcome aboard
II Salty Dawgs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 5:50pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Salty,when they come along you just have too grab them.Lot of um er not so nice going for top $$
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cliffside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 6:13am
cliffside View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looks charged, something like that is my goal
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 1:18pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

FC 535CC. 60HP Merc CT, Minn Kota, Furuno 885 sounder, capstan anchor winch, 5HP Honda aux (bit of extra weight but I've always had a backup/trolling motor. Normal safety gear like VHF, locator beacon etc. Had it since 2020 and have averaged just over 35 trips out of Tauranga/Whakatane occasionally and the Kaituna per year. Went from a 620HT Senator. Great little boat in a sea and everything about them is easy for an old bloke. If someone would explain to me step by step how to put photos on the site I'll put a couple up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 1:56pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice boat. The easiest way to upload a photo is to upload to imgbb.com (no account required), then cut and paste the "Full image BBCode" in to the forum. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 2:56pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best looking boat right there! nice..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cliffside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 3:52am
cliffside View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I support the issue of uploading photos, it would be great if we added more intuitive functionality!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 8:46pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bertiesdad Bertiesdad wrote:

That is a mean as rig bro. Im a huge fan of Glass boats out of Melb docks, and that 6m space is one of the most contested. For Mr Wright to say "The Razorcraft Coldfront is easily the best 6.0-metre boat I have driven in recent years." says it all really. I reckon with Glass boats often not using materials that can dry rot (Plywood) for the transom and stringers, plus they often double skinned with marine foam sandwiched between, so safer, a bit lighter, stronger, last longer, unbeatable ride of course. Horses for courses of course of course. Where did you source yours? With a 250 and 3 up, 230l fuel, they nearly cracked ~53knts/100kph. Cootacraft use to make them a while back, I didnt realise they had changed hands. One of my fav features for spearing is that side door, which a lot of them use now, think EdenCraft were one of first to put in the 6m range. Love that colour on boats (GBIsland use to have an APB coastguard boat the same colour) Clap

Here is a review on the Coldfront;

2020 Razorcraft Coldfront review - boatsales.com.au
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 9:03pm
Bertiesdad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks- I ordered the boat from Hary Bakr- Hary now builds the Coldfront having bought the molds from cootacraft- who have basically moved into bigger models from 7 m up to the 40ft Apache mould they just got from the US. Hary builds them exactly the same but has put more weight down the keel line to keep it a bit steadier at rest- it’s a real deep vee though and still moves a bit in a w coast swell. It’s mentally quick -I haven’t had the conditions to open it wide- well over 5k revs- but at 3.8k it’s hitting 64 kmh so I don’t doubt it’ll do 90 + on a flat day. Just need summer to come along and flatten the Tasman a bit. Hary gave me some wise words- don’t cane it till you have got used to it- it goes like a stabbed rat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 10:29pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks- I ordered the boat from Hary Bakr- Hary now builds the Coldfront having bought the molds from cootacraft- who have basically moved into bigger models from 7 m up to the 40ft Apache mould they just got from the US. Hary builds them exactly the same but has put more weight down the keel line to keep it a bit steadier at rest- it’s a real deep vee though and still moves a bit in a w coast swell. It’s mentally quick -I haven’t had the conditions to open it wide- well over 5k revs- but at 3.8k it’s hitting 64 kmh so I don’t doubt it’ll do 90 + on a flat day. Just need summer to come along and flatten the Tasman a bit. Hary gave me some wise words- don’t cane it till you have got used to it- it goes like a stabbed rat.

Some of the US glass boats are sick too. 

I guess if you want the ride you give up the flat chines. What shape is at the transom, does it have gullwing like chines or a straight V?

Man that is boogying cruise speed. I found with my 6m deep Vs it was nearly only the last foot or so in the water if it was dead flat. I was in port hacking one day and was dead calm and got to 80kph and it started to get a bit like ice skating lol. Far nicer to have a fast safe cruise. 

Where abouts are you heading out? Would be cool to see some vids of her running. West coast likely to have the lumpy swell, those smooth water days that still have solid swell play games on the brain haha.

Did you opt for the side door? I think if game fishing or spearing they bloody handy, keeps everything away from the donk etc. But not a necessity. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 7:27am
Bronze
Bronze

She’s run out of New Plymouth - no bar to cross as it’s a port launch but always a swell of sorts once out - and she will also head out of Waitara ( river bar) and maybe down the Cape later- which is a straight launch to open water but is a tight race and always has some swell- the boys down there can handle boats for sure. Yeah has side door and a bash plate to stop the gel oat getting too muntered. The transom is a straight vee- she might get a bit skaty over 80 I reckon but there are some chunky tabs on the stern to calm things down. Will post a few BBM ore pics over the weekend of internal layout etc cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 12:48pm
Bronze
Bronze

Couple more pics showing dive /fish door/ ladder set up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 12:50pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 1:51pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

She’s run out of New Plymouth - no bar to cross as it’s a port launch but always a swell of sorts once out

One of NZ's most under rated spots imo. Is where I met the Mrs. Loved fishing out of there.

You will be onto Albies soon wont we?

You got a 300 donk, you should easily do the 100kph, especially 1 up. So thats a given, you can stay safe and not attempt it haha. More importantly you have maximum hole shot. Whats it like acceleration wise from at rest?

32knots at cruise revs, sick. Have you thought about a hard bimini extension and then clears running down to the wave break? Anything else you feel it needs?

How is the accommodation in her? What type of winch you got on the anchor?

When we sell our house we plan to buy somewhere without the sea view but still close to the ramp. Which in Auck is still not cheap, although in the current triple recession things are going backward rapidly haha. Anyway, we will buy another Haines SF. Id love a new Aussie hull but funds wont go that far. Somewhere around $60-75k, so if an SF700 miraculously pops up for that then that would be good too. Id like to add a side door but just wouldnt trust water not finding the wood some how. If I see an EdenCraft or similar that would be sweeter. But the main hull we get is the Haines range. Slowly went big, slowly went down in size again to dinghy fishing, now wanting to get back out deep blue and do over nighters.

The Bass Strait is another 6m Id love to have owned. 

6M Shootout: Bass Strait vs Cootacraft vs Edencraft - YouTube 

Interesting each owners thoughts on using the other vessels. It just showed me how very different owners are on both their wants/needs and their perceptions when they dont quite match. Which is pretty much the same with all boats and why everybody has a differing opinion on hulls in general of all types.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 3:59pm
Bronze
Bronze

It’s got a lonestar gx2 winch. Thought about Bimini etc but I like the wind in me thinning hair and I don’t mind a bit of damp- I find the additional windage from Bimini and hardtops more of a pain than it’s worth if you are basically a hit and run type of fisho- rather than a tuff it out in the rain type.

Can’t go wrong with any Haines hulls- they are the basis of a few of these Aussie hard core boats- cootacraft added a bit of length and played with the running surface to get the Gunshot from the original Haines 565. They are all solid designs. Hary has changed the running surface on this Clermont from the one in your vid- I think they changed to strakes and lost a planing plank. God knows how you’re supposed to stand up in that one in the 6m shootout with no bars or seats of any sort. I saw that same one came up for sale in aus last year- but the owner has since put seats in it �£
I went with a small aussie builder coz like you said it’s so competitive there for glass boats in the 5.5-8m sizes. The smaller guys are turning out a top quality hull they will customise - I got Hary to put a heavy lay up in this one- and he will build them light as well. It’s a versatile hull shape and weight is the key to what you want to do with it. He just finished second overall for the series in the Australia offshore powerboat champs 65mph class in a pretty standard (lighter than mine though) Coldfront with a merc 300 on it…which is now sold and offshore fishing for BFT in Victoria I think!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 4:55pm
Bronze
Bronze

And the other q- the accomodation is pretty basic. This is very much a fishing boat so got Hary to delete the step down into the cabin- it’s completely flat floored in there and foam filled throughout no “bunks” moulded in- though that’s possible and you can have an infill section. I can lay out flat in in and two mid size adults could fit - but it ain’t the Sofitel.. there’s two big wide shelves from the bulkhead to the bow and I will add rod storage in the cabin roof for transport.

As to anything else to add- I am in so much sh*t with the Minister of Domestic Affairs and Finances that I can’t even mention the fuel.,,,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 6:57pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=Bertiesdad]if you are basically a hit and run type of fisho- rather than a tuff it out in the rain type.
/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more. It misses the hole point of the Coldfront, which is run and gun. Its designed as a dry boat through the slop, clearly the are a bit more tender a rest, but like one of the guys said, plenty stable for fishing. 

Those lonestar winches are the bees knees.

Which sounder/gps you go with, single combined system or 2 large individual purpose systems? I dont see too much issue with that dash, its quite familiar to some who modify the old haines boats.

My first v17l, that is a boat tender at rest, but what a rocket through the chop. Similar concept but clearly less tender at rest. A lot of spearos have taken to modifying the v17l and R with Wave Breaks, often replacing screens in the v17r case.

I saw something I liked in all those boats, there is another 6m shootout that has a couple more like the Haines SF. But it just shows, how different people are and there is no perfect boat for everybody, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

The SF600 is a bit bare, the sf650 has a nicer cabin and easily hosts a small galley for eating some ultra fresh fish or boiling the kettle etc. I thought that comment about the Pie Warmer being a necessity in Aus, when if honest, their pies are, not as good as ours, very restrained diplomatic answer there haha.

Yeah that looked crazy that Coldfront with no bum rest stools (forget the official name). Would be like riding a horse bareback haha. The one clip whoever was steering was using his entire body haha. Crazy. More grab rails and torso rests needed on that one hehe. 

One thing to note on yours is the WaveBreak, it looks very thick, not sure what they use but 3 inches thick.....Not many waves going to crack that pro job. The height is perfect, you look like you can see nicely over the top with the ability to adjust how much of the noggin you pop over the top to look out. 
Page  <1 757677