Mataura

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote toolebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mataura
    Posted: 21 Oct 2006 at 9:46am
toolebox View Drop Down
New User
New User

Popped down to the bottom of the road last nite and the trout were out and rising to a hatch of Duns .Most were smaller fish ,up to 2lb but there were alot ,a great sign that the the river is still in great heart .The first week of the season the fishing was just great ,with a small rise in the morning and a longer one in the afternoon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2006 at 9:59am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just gotta love that evening rise!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2006 at 1:36pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just got to love the Mataura

wish I had a river like that at the bottom of my street

Thanks toolebox good way to make us all jealous
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waitakidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2006 at 5:37pm
waitakidan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well Herring, I just popped down to the bottom paddock yesterday morning to fish the creek and hooked 9 browns from 2-5lb in about 2 hrs sight fishing.
Very nearly snapped my rod over my knee and went home in frustration after losing the first 7 !! in the weeds and cress. But landed the last 2, a nice 2.5lber and a perfect 4lber.
Making you more jealous???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2006 at 9:12am
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi waitakidan - well I went went down to the end of my street and sat in a traffic jam for 2 hrs as everyone tried to get out of the city over the long weekend.

Think we need to look at forum rules and stop guys like you and toolebox taunting us - its just not fair.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waitakidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2006 at 12:59pm
Silver
Silver

Herring I almost feel sorry for you. May have to go down to the river another paddock over and console myself by catching a bunch of fat rainbows
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote toolebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2006 at 8:08pm
toolebox View Drop Down
New User
New User

Went down this afternoon,over cast and cool ,but the fish were working and sitting in the very boney water the Mataura trout love.A large number were hooked ,lost and landed .I kept two for my neigbours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jesus4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 8:10pm
Jesus4u View Drop Down
New User
New User

Man can't wait to learn to flyfish in the holidays...

Yeah it is an incredible place. I was at wyndham ) for the weekend and hit the mataura with some deadly fake rapalas (cheating yeah but still heaps of fun for me ). Didn't see any rises though, probably cause it was a southerly with random showers Cry the mataura is huge there though I also fished a couple of smaller rivers running to mataura

Its amazing how the fish sit in shallow bony stuff, sometimes with no river flow. I sometimes wonder why whenI can't see anything going on in the way of feed(I suppose there must be). Tried to catch a couple of bigger ones that were sitting on the surface by the bank but they just followed rapala and got spooked :(

Ended up landing 6 in the up to 2 pound range (great fighting fish, better than pomahaka fish of the same size last week) and 1 that was a bit bigger in a side creek, I'll try to find the pic Wink

So much fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 9:01pm
kiwitroutbum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What about that lake you can poach 100metres from your door Dan, with the big cruisers!?
Sorted out that neighbour yet!?
Looks like it might be nice up your way on the weekend.
Southland has been going really well.
Next week opening of the high country.
You got plans?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waitakidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 9:12pm
Silver
Silver

No, haven't talked to him in over a year, ever since he had that raging psycho fit at me and threatened to get his gunAngry
Yeah, I got plans - working.
You getting off somewhere?
Will just fish during the week, once all the weekend warriors have spooked them up to make them a bit more challengingWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 9:30pm
Gold
Gold

Will sit tight until the opening day crowd thin.
I heard the rivers were low already towards Twizel?
Had more rainbows this year than the last two combined so might keep heading South as the hatches seem pretty regular at present.
Can you get some time to hook up?
I'll pick you up and we can practise strip strikes?!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waitakidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2006 at 4:37am
Silver
Silver

Yeah, I am pretty busy, just have to be there every morning till the end of November. Once my school boy starts for the holidays, I can bugger off at about 8:30am tho.
No more strip strikes for me at the moment Si, have bust enough fish off this season as it isUnhappy
Even bust a few off on my 3wt even when using 5lb tip!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwitroutbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2006 at 6:50am
Gold
Gold

Legend!Clap