The T, the TT and the ugly

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tobias Alawishous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The T, the TT and the ugly
    Posted: 23 Sep 2006 at 7:12pm
Tobias Alawishous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all,

Heading to Waipehi for a week of R&R with the whanua, couple of questions for anyone in the know.

How have the Tongariro and TT been fishing ?

The streammouth at Waipehi whats the go there ? Do I need a wet line or can I fish it with a floater ?

Anyone from the board going to be down that way ?

Cheers

Toby
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2006 at 10:19am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They have been ok with plenty of fish about. Could do with some rain, but fish lighter tippets and with a bit less weight...

Waipehi... not worth bothering with... there's no fish there... no one should fish there and if you see me fishing there I am just practising castingWink... but fish it with a floater... it's shallow and start with dry feet, fish sometimes sit right in the stream current. slowly work you way out fishing all the way, the fish sit very close there. They are on the smelt so get some "Super Smelt's" and fish a nymph in tandem off the back of it about 12" from the smelt pattern. Let me know if you're heading to the waipehi... I might join you if I have time...
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tobias Alawishous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2006 at 5:07pm
Silver
Silver

Cheers Clark,

Staying just down the beach from the stream mouth in the "smokehouse". Are you still filling in at the shop up in Taupo? Stop in and cath up for a brew if your around that way otherwise I'll give you a buzz to see whats up.

Will be fishing early am's and late pm's and since staying so close to stream mouth would be rude not to give it a flick eh ! Might even try a bit night time casting practice.

Oh and is any one in town holding the Z Axis at the mo ?

Catch ya

T.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blairski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 11:38am
Blairski View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I see sporting life have been advertising it on the net, would assume they have it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 12:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, I haven't got one...  yet.. might do...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blairski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 3:00pm
Blairski View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No wonder you've been so busy at the vice saving up eh Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 5:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nope, I make my living at the vice at this time of the year... If I wanted one I could have one... but... As nice a rod as it is and as much as I may add one at some point... having aquired 2 TCR's and 2 Xi2's plus a Sage reel in the past three months I doubt I could smuggle another into the collection without it being noticed.... I need a cunning plan.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blairski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 10:09am
Blairski View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Get a 5 piece and tell the mrs they are just very expensive tomatoe stakes...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tobias Alawishous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2006 at 10:13pm
Silver
Silver

Trip was awesome.

Didn't get alot of fishing in.

Day 2 Fished Hinemaeia for 2 hours for one 2 lb fresh rainbow and lot of lost flies. Nice little river. Would love to fish the upper sectionwhen its open with a 4 wt looks very nice.

Day 3 Took the family mid afternoon fishing on TT. Spent most of the time setting the wife up and helping her out. Had a quick flick before we left and scored a a nice 6 lber from the pump pool on the last cast. Had to leave as the kids and the Mrs had had a enough. Just reward for carrying the 18 month old in on the pack.

Fished the Waipehi stream mouth later that night. Waded out at about 9 and said gudday to one of the two standing either side of the rip. No reply .... mmmm ok ......  maybe I'm a bit close I thought .... moved over a bit. Bit later another guy wanderd out next to me ..... gudday I said .... no reply. Friendly bunch these night time stream mouth guys I thought. Anyway carried on fishing trying to get used to casting in the dark ..... does absolute wonders for your casting night time fishing. So after about 1 1/2 hrs no ones hooked up and then wham I'm on. About 5 mins later � had a nice 5 lb silver bulllet flapping on the shore. Lumo dole did the damage.

Wandered back out and all of a sudden the two guys were standing much closer than before and "hows it going" and a few other questions were flying my way like "what you using".... "glo bug" � told them ...... stripes earned !!

Fished the TT the next morning first light for 11 fish in 3 hours best was 6 lb smallest was 3 1/2lb . I was stoked with that. Ran into a lot of guys on the way back down who were complaining about the lack of fish .... need a fresh ... yada yada yada. Couldn't understand it Cool. I had heard the TT can be a bit like that if you find the fish your in .... if you don't can be tough just glad I found them.

And that was a bout it. Had a good time caught my first night time lake fish and nailed the TT ..... didn't fish the Tongariro ....not sure why.

Cheers Toby

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 6:06am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Toby, some of those regular river-mouth fishermen don't give much away. Fishing one time some guy pushed in and started catching fish, just to p everyone else off. After a while he tangled with the guy next to me and my neighbour elected to do the untangling. After it was cleared the pusher-in dropped a couple of fish and my neighbour whispered he'd snipped the point off his hook. So very generous, don't you think?

The TT can be very much like that, fish holding in a run. The secret is to find holding pools, like that. My last trip I pulled a dozen out of a run only about 50 metres long but either side, even in good looking water was very slow.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Cod Father Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2006 at 5:08pm
The Cod Father View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was up at Taupo a couple of weeks ago with the kids, so couldn't get much fishing in during the day, but the night fishing at the Waitotoko stream mouth at the Mission Point camping ground was hot. Would pop down in the evening at about 10.45 and most nights by knockoff had landed between 2 and 4 all on a size 12 lumo doll, fly of choice for the small stream mouths at night.
Unusally for this time of year the fish were nearly all fresh with only a couple that were well and truely spent. A couple got knocked on the swede for the smoker. Tryed a couple of nights inside the mouth of the TT but the fish were all knarly old slabs that couldn't pull line off the reel.
 Got a house just up from the TT and we walk down to the mouth everyday. Saw a school of fish just below the main rd bridge that numbered over 80, just sitting waiting for a fresh I guess, and they were there for about a week or so in varying numbers day to day.
No Gut No Glory