Bacon and Egg Pie on the TT

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bacon and Egg Pie on the TT
    Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 8:46am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been working hard on a project and so me and my colleague decided a day's "team building" was in order (there are only two of us). Picked him up in the Tron and raced the dawn be waders on in the TT carpark around 6:30. One other car in the carpark and had a good chat with a visiting angler who wanted directions to the river.

Started a couple of pools above the old crescent on a nice right hander casting just below an overhanging tree and into the shadows. My partner in crime was a first time flyfisher and was the first to hook up. That fish hung around long enough to raise the adrenalin levels but then skipped off back under a log. Twenty minutes later it happended again and my mate had a smile a mile wide when we netted his fist rainbow - a nice fresh maiden hen around 3 lbs.

My turn next but only a skinny dark post spawn hen that went back to hopefully return to the lake and return as a 4lber next year. As we fished the pool we heard three or four groups on the path above us - all moving towards the avenue, cliff pool etc. It always amazes me that the guides all tend to congregate in the same area on the TT when the middle pools remain overlooked. The newbie lost another big fish as it expressed trained straight up river and under a log, no way he was holding it. After that I recongnised the feverish developing in his eyes and the fishing bug started to bite deep. Its not the ones that you catch that keep you coming back - its the ones that get away!

The river was pretty clear with maybe a touch of green.

We took a break and munched into the best bacon and egg pie I've had in a long time. My mate - who is a good Waikato lad made it himself from Pokeno bacon pieces, half dozen eggs and some offcut pork sausage (again Pokeno butcher). This thing was like a brick, a very tasty brick. There is something about fishing and bacon and egg pie. I think it has the same good luck properties about it as bananas do bad luck. Bacon and Egg pie - the anti-banana!

We moved up river fishing pools that probably had a couple of rods over them already - I picked up two more 4lb Jacks - nice and fresh. Both were caught on my new favourite flame orange tungsten bead head with peacock hearl body and pheasant tippet tails.

Back to the carpark at by 3pm, wet (the ongoing saga of the leaky gortex waders), a bit sunburned and with a couple for the smoker.

Back to the Tron and then Akl, fish curing now in Laphraoig, salt and brown suger. Will be smoked tonight and eaten on vogels with sour cream, probably with a glass of full on Chardonnay. (Jafas rejoice)!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tobias Alawishous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 10:49am
Tobias Alawishous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice report BB ... Sounds like a bloody good team building excercise to me ! "Hey boss .... I got an idea .........."

I know what i'm having for lunch now B&E pie with lashings of whitlocks T Chutney.

Good onya for the spreading the good word too ..... sounds like your partner in crime will be back for sure.

Cheers

Toby
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2006 at 3:30pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you had a great day.
Good to hear the TT is going well. That B&E pie sounds delicious.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken