Lake Otatoa Fires.. But!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Otatoa Fires.. But!!!!
    Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 6:44pm
fush View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have all but given up on this wonderful lake.

But with a couple hours free I decided to head up and see what was happening.

The day was very pleasant - warm sunny with a stiff NW breeze

In a couple of hrs we landed around 25 trout and no Perch. Awesome not to have been bothered by Perch.

The down side to this was none of the trout came any where near 1LB - all new realese fish. Many of these dont do so well over the summer. I had heard the F&G were going to do a April release which seems to make sence.

I cant explain where the bigger fish were - last August was the same. Are the small fish beating the bigger fish to the lure?? or is there not enough food for the bigger fish to survive.

Otatoa could still be a great fishery if F&G were to release fish over 2LB. They had mentioned this was in their planning.

Will give it a go again next winter but if there was a release of bigger fish I would be right back up there - those fish sure where aggresive feeders today.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bushkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 9:12pm
bushkid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

you could try live baiting one for the larger trout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StuartC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2006 at 7:05pm
StuartC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I had been thinking about taking a drive up here this Sunday (3/9th) & would be keen to get some tips about where and what to fish with...Does a slow sinking line is best on this lake??  Cheers!