Muriwai bombing range

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2006 at 10:34pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

What you getting Finatic? A BIG KTM??? A little Honda? A Kawasaki? A Spewzuki? A Yamahaha? A mini chopper? A ZX1400 (ZZR 1400? whatever they are) with knobbies??? My mate has one of those (without the knobbies) I got to get him drunk as so I can talk him into letting me take it for a spin. See if they really do have a 299km/h speed limiterDead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2006 at 8:11am
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finatic, I've got my eye on a DR350 Suzy from Trade Me. It's going to be that or a 4x4 toy. I've got a couple of junk bikes that I'm repairing but every time I get one of those going my mates take off on them and I never see tham again!
On Sunday there were lots of folk that had a trailer with bikes behind the 4x4 going onto the beach.

Smudge, have you ever noticed that if you say the brand of bike out loud and say it s...l...o...w...l...y... then the name sounds like the sound the motor makes??
Saw that one on TV years ago.
Ross
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2006 at 1:57pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went for a little Honda XR250, Smudge. The others I didn't like as much and as for Yamahaha, well, pfffft, they blew their chance.

Ross, the Suzuki DR-Z250K6 would probably have been my second choice. I just liked the Honda more with its upside down forks etc and it has an awesome reputation. It was a tough decision whether to go for bike or new vehicle as I'm also looking at buying a 4x4 or a ute. Have started saving already.

Before I head up the beach fishing I will have to work out a way to carry the surfcaster. Shouldn't be too difficult I wouldn't think.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1000PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2006 at 12:54am
1000PA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In a backpack broken in two has worked best for me in the past.
Ross
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2006 at 12:40pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hey finatic have you been up there yet just had a m8 of mine txt me and he wants to head up there next weekend  i ve never been up there but am keen on giving it a go be in a 4x4 tho so yeh any comments appreciated
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 8:59am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not yet Cosmo. Still getting comfortable with the bike before I take it long distance.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RottweilerluvNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:30pm
RottweilerluvNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Old as post, 11 years old! can't find much Muriwai stuff on here so apologies.

Bombing range area for fishing is mint on a good day.  On a bad day it's worth a cruise.

Short rods from the beach with heavy sinkers seem to work a charm on trevs & snaps.

Kahawai around all the time.

Odd kingfish about.

Lovely spot, given you take into account mother nature, and as said on this post already take into account drive times etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 2:02pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would my 3.0 Outback be alright on the beach? It did it easy at 90 mile.

But I figure there is a lot less hard sand at muriwai especially at high tide?

Does it fish pretty much the same anywhere up the beach where there are gutters and rips?

Best place to enter in a car for fishing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 8:23pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I love fishing up there - I cross over at the gulf Corse then drive the whole beach which gives you a good look for gutters and holes.. Half tide out to half in before you need to get back out unless you stay through the high...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 8:25pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CarlW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 8:30pm
CarlW View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As long as you're driving below the high tide line on the firm sand you'll be right in the Outback.
Best place to enter would be at Muriwai, you would struggle to get onto the beach via Rimmers Rd using the Outback, especially if it hasn't rained for a while.
Be very weary of the incoming tide though, its easy to get trapped up the beach as the high tide can push swells right up to the sand dunes/small sand cliffs giving you no where to go.
Nowa days there are dozens of kontiki fishing groups all the way up the beach to south head - not so many surfcasters on the beach itself, but, plenty of surfcasters at the south head fishing into a small channel that heads into the harbour. Its not the main channel but still fishes pretty well.
“My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 11:41am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that, so fishes similar to the 90 except 90 is a lot easier to drive.

So Im ok getting on at the golf course?

I find with the outback vs my landcruiser or jacked up hilux, its actually better, with the hilux they look high but the diff still sits real low, which is easy to get buried, where the subarus push the diff up inside the chassis, the only thing to knock off is the exhaust, you can drive without an exhaust, but hit a rock on your diff and you could be stuck.

Also dual range I find is unimportant in an auto, although once stuck the auto is harder to dig out. 

Is there still plenty of room up the beach for surfcasters? I plan on only going during the working week, monday - friday. 

How do you get to south head of the kaipara? I presume rimmers, which sounds a bit sketchy.

Thanks fishwhisperer, great vids as usual, I thought id seen all yours until now :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CarlW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 9:45pm
CarlW View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Once you're actually on the beach you'll be sweet as in the Outback.

There will be heaps of room up the beach for surfcasting, especially during the week.

Only way to get to South head is to drive all the way up the beach [from where ever you enter], there's no access through the bombing range
“My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 10:11pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After watching FWs vids, the sand looks firm and easy as on the high tide mark. Which entry was it you filmed FW? that looks like an easy one.

I use to drive my Outback in Aus on Moreton Island (has the highest sand mountain in the world) and it was mostly dry soft sand, never had an issue, although I always lowered my PSI and I had more off road tyres than these Potenza all terrains (not bad but better for snow and metal roads). 

So where is the bombing range? Wouldnt I need to drive through it to get to South Head?

It sounds like the beach itself fishes pretty well anyway. Are grapnel sinkers advised? I use them on the 90 so I presume in a swell Muriwai would be similar?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 3:54pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I used top ride up at the range many times, mainly MX bikes (YZs) either trailering the bikes up, or riding.
The range is basically the last few kms of the beach and inland, tracks in and around and then basically open dunes, which are a real buzz to ride.
Watch out for soft patches of sand just before the egdes pf drop offs especially after a lot of wind and no rain, can put you over the bars fast (apparently ) ...jumps are great, over the dunes, just depends how big you want to go. Make sure your airfilter is cleaned and oiled properly, or you'll suck sand and need a new engine. It pays to be riding with someone else up there i.e. re: injury.
High tidal flow can get a return trip near high tide a scary thing, unless its a Company car of course..having those wave surges coming up the drivers door is quite an experience as you pin it back and hope the engine doesn't stall. Fun times alright.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RottweilerluvNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 10:23pm
Bronze
Bronze

Oh man, the Air Force Security and Kumeu cops are handing out 'Banning notices' to people now.

Seems that this area has finally met its end.  I must admit for one, I was fuming when the Air Force handed me mine! I said to the Sgt at the beach, "Seriously, you need a beaten zone and range area that comes out here, when you guys a dropping bombs.....from Orions? way the f**k back there?' and being ex army myself we got into quite a debate about it. The SAS use it here and there, and there is the odd territorial exercise there, but in reality that's what Waiouru is for - so it's a very disappointing end to it all.

I told him it's a crock, and I hope there is an uprising to let the beach be accessed, I'll be marching in it that's for sure.  Although he was a professional chap and kept his own, I made it clear that for a city of 1.4 something people, it might be worth going back to his commanders and mentioning to them to stop dreaming - there isn't a combat air force, and they have other live fire areas in NZ (like Waiouru) that nobody cares about, instead of taking away an awesome and beautiful recreational fishing area that surfcasters and beach fishermen can be proud of and actually smash a good fish each time they go, which isn't easy to find in Auckland.

Anyway, enough of my rant.  Be careful going up there now, they are policing it hard since the new H & S laws came in, before that I was going up at least twice a week so you can imagine I'm a bit fumed about it all!!! it was my place!!!.

Apparently quite a fine, or prison, if caught up there and you've been served.

I did also mention, that a stupid sign, well up in the sand dunes - doesn't really help or make it clear 'on the beach' when driving down, that you are not allowed up there.

Everyone knew you were not allowed in the dunes.  Well, apparently, not on any of that beach right around into the mouth from the sign so hey, that's it! done!

Time to go back to surfcasting off the beach I guess!!!

Good luck surfcasting guys.  Take heed of my warning I'm not kidding, they're hammering people up there now, and actually banning notices being handed out, info then into Kumeu police station database.

Here's a couple of quick vids to pay homage to this awesome fishing spot we can't use anymore, you can tell it was a lot of fun while it lasted all these years! great place to teach your kids fishing too as you'll see.

I am sure many of you other regulars will be feeling bad about it too, it really is quite sad more than making me angry!

A real shame to see it go for nothing more than a few bombing runs that could be done elsewhere.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RottweilerluvNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 10:28pm
Bronze
Bronze

And to think, you can fish this spot with short rods, a hook tied on, and a pilchard, nothing fancy no funky rigs.....and go home with a feed every time.

A real shame.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 7:06pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

this was johns electorate maybe this is why he left he knew it was coming,is a real ***** only been there twice and  snuck in with a mate who had a key 
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Page  <12