How many watts does a kontiki and winch use?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many watts does a kontiki and winch use?
    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 5:55pm
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had the idea of charging up 2x 12V 14Ah batteries with a solar panel.

I'm new to kontiki fishing and I don't even currently own a kontiki but I decided to get one.

So my question is; How many watts does a kontiki and winch use?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 9:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2x 12V 14Ah batteries with a solar panel.

Not knowing the wattage/amp draw or  max rating...
 maybe a google would give the specs?
Off the top of my head I would be costing up 3 batteries rather than 2 +solar.
 you may find the cost of maybe 1 or 2 panels (big enough to give quick recovery solar) plus a regulator would be more than the 3rd battery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 7:24pm
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Depending on where and with what you are fishing with. 25 to 30min to send your baits out. 40min to an hour soak time. Another 25 min to bring it in then take off your ill gotten gains, re-bait, put new batteries in etc. All this is a long winded way of saying its about a 3 hour turn around per set. Just buy 3 sets of batteries and call it done. That's 9 hours fishing!. 
I looked in to recharging on the beach and the problem is the rather slow charge rate that these batts can handle, which means by the time the your first set would be recharged your hopefully eating fresh fish for dinner. 
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 9:57pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

2x 12V 14Ah batteries with a solar panel.

Not knowing the wattage/amp draw or  max rating...
 maybe a google would give the specs?
Off the top of my head I would be costing up 3 batteries rather than 2 +solar.
 you may find the cost of maybe 1 or 2 panels (big enough to give quick recovery solar) plus a regulator would be more than the 3rd battery

Nothing on google.

I live in a campervan which already has solar power.

Thanks for the reply.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:08pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Got-ya Got-ya wrote:

Depending on where and with what you are fishing with. 25 to 30min to send your baits out. 40min to an hour soak time. Another 25 min to bring it in then take off your ill gotten gains, re-bait, put new batteries in etc. All this is a long winded way of saying its about a 3 hour turn around per set. Just buy 3 sets of batteries and call it done. That's 9 hours fishing!. 
I looked in to recharging on the beach and the problem is the rather slow charge rate that these batts can handle, which means by the time the your first set would be recharged your hopefully eating fresh fish for dinner. 

The only power I have access to is solar power.  I live in a campervan.

I'm happy doing one set, then spending a few hours recharging the batteries before putting out the second set, depending on how much watts the kontiki and winch use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:26pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.seahorse.net.nz/product_details/p/27/c/30/Std%20Seahorse%E2%84%A2%20Kontiki

here is an example from Kontiki

This page indicates that this model uses about 20amps @12v in 30mins. - would suggest that the motor might be drawing approx 500w ((2*~20a)*12v = 480w)

On Kontiki's page about their retrieval winches it states a 'powerful 150w motor' is used.

i havent done any kontiki-type fishing so dont know what the typical draw time is on the motors.

Re battery charging - lead acid batts really need a charger that is providing 10-20% of the batteries capacity if they are drawn down below about 80% state-of-charge.

your mentioned 14a/h batts would ideally be charged by a charger capable of delivering ~2amps@14v

do you have solar capacity capable of providing this level of current for significant time?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 11:09pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

http://www.seahorse.net.nz/product_details/p/27/c/30/Std%20Seahorse%E2%84%A2%20Kontiki

here is an example from Kontiki

This page indicates that this model uses about 20amps @12v in 30mins. - would suggest that the motor might be drawing approx 500w ((2*~20a)*12v = 480w)

On Kontiki's page about their retrieval winches it states a 'powerful 150w motor' is used.

i havent done any kontiki-type fishing so dont know what the typical draw time is on the motors.

Re battery charging - lead acid batts really need a charger that is providing 10-20% of the batteries capacity if they are drawn down below about 80% state-of-charge.

your mentioned 14a/h batts would ideally be charged by a charger capable of delivering ~2amps@14v

do you have solar capacity capable of providing this level of current for significant time?

If the kontiki is 480 watts and the winch is 150 watts, and I want to recharge the batteries to do two sets per day (30 minutes to send it out there and 30 minutes to retrieve)then it will require 100 watts of solar power per day.  I might be able to handle that, but I use solar to power other stuff as well.  I'll need to do some tests.