Straylining with the Sis in the little FC430

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straylining with the Sis in the little FC430
    Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:38pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Knowing that most boaties wouldn't be out on the water with Easterly winds and a few showers Gen and I decided to hitch up the little FC430 and find somewhere sheltered for an arvo strayline sesh. We picked up a couple of big berleys and bait and headed of for our little adventure, there's always somewhere you can shelter and berley up a storm to catch fish.
We arrived at our location around 2.00 launched the little tin and made our way to a couple of shallow spots I like to fish, the wind wasn't to bad and no showers to be seen as yet but the cloud was on our side. We dropped the pick in 4mtrs and I set the berley, It was a nice little channel with a mtr depth on either side. Fish ride the tides up and down these the whole day searching for food, once they take wind of our berley they stay around for awhile for us.
We set up our light rods and reels while we let the berley do it's thing and we soon had our first baits in the water, this time of year this area is full of fish with a few little pickers around. I do like to fish this area more so in the later months but we still get good runs of nice fish to 70cm at times, big slabs of Kahawai or shark work a treat as it stays on the line a lot longer. This gives the bigger fish a good chance as the little pickers draw the attention and they come in bowling them out the way and hoover up our baits.

There didn't seem to be much current which I like to have so the berley disperses better, we started with a few small Snaps around 30cm that we sent back. There was a lot of them and is expected this time of year but we managed a couple better ones between around 35-40cm. We stuck at it for a good hour and only pulling up a couple of better models we decided to up the berley and pick and move the little FC, sometimes just a shift 50 odd mtrs can make the world of difference.
We anchored up once again dropped the berley and flicked the baits out, It looked like the tide was just about full due to the lack of current at our new spot but Gen's bait was instantly grabbed by a better fish this time. It was a nice fish around 55-60cm so we decided to stay put and fish the last couple hours we had left of the day. There was no sign of the current due to the high and pulling it to the surface pumping it vigorously the berley clouded the 2mtrs of water we were in. Soon the fish turned up in numbers and through the smaller models we were picking up some nicey's, these fish were fat and in good numbers. Gen was getting hammered by some nice fish and boating some good specimens, being in only 2mtrs of water it was great to release the strong and healthy and being able to pick and choose the better fish for the taking.
It was pretty crazy as the fish started turning up straight under the boat due to the cloud of berley that was produced when ever I raised it and pumped it hard. Even more crazy was that I didn't have to open the bail wire to drop my bait or wind in once the bait was taken - all I did was lift the rod and my hook and sinker came out of the water. Re-baiting I would just drop the rod wait for the grab and hook up. I even had a bit of fun chucking a softy out when the fishing was hot.
It got pretty hectic and Gen was loving it, it's great to see big smiles on the dials when the fishing is crash hot. We ended up with about 7-8 in the bin which was all we needed and called it a day just before dark, the little FC430 once again proved it's self with a great platform to fish from - it really does make fishing a whole lot easier when you have the room and stability while standing in a small boat fighting fish.

Tight lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:14pm
paihia panther View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nice video papakura chanel was it been alot of fish in shallows lately