The meaning of "the hook bit home"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GO-Ito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The meaning of "the hook bit home"
    Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:14am
GO-Ito View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dear Everybody in the forum.

I am a Japanese trout angler and have been reading a trout fishing guidebook of NZ.
The book, "Serious about Trout Fishing", was written by Mr Tony Orman and Mr John Morton.

In this book, I found a difficult expression such as "the hook bit home". The whole paragraph is

-------------------------------
The Bivisible landed upstream, the point of the line behind the fish. Aha, perfect! I was seeking confidence and calmness. The big leisurely and lazy lift, the slowly opening mouth, and the dry fly was gone. In a long couple of seconds, the trout was turning down to its lie. It was like a slow-motion movie sequence. I tightened, the hook bit home and the trout was suddenly in the flow, going, going downstream, while with rod high and reel protesting, I followed.
-------------------------------

I googled the phrase, then found many same words in various fishing articles. So I guess this is a common, popular expression among fishermen/women.

I imagine the meaning of "the hook bit home" is that the hook penetrated the trout's jaw firmly.
Is my understanding right?

If somebody gave me an advice, I will really appreciate.

GO-Ito from Japan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:03am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes mate - you got the understanding correct.

The hook bit home means it found purchase in the fishes jaw.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GO-Ito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:13am
GO-Ito View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dear Jaapie

Thank you so much!
I was very relieved to hear your answer.

By the way, I found the 19th century Indian creed on the bottom of
your reply. I had read the proverb when I stayed at a small backpackers of Kaikoura, South Island of NZ.
I think that creed is very meaningful and important to us living in the present age.

Thank you again.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:10pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All good mate.Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 5:01pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In big game fishing the expression is - feel the steel. That's when you see a marlin jump.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GO-Ito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 9:14am
GO-Ito View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dear Fishb8

Thank you for the valuable reply, and so sorry to be late my reaction.

Someday, I want to try a big game like Marlin with fly tackle.
I once tried gig/metal lure fishing for Kingfish from a boat at Tauranga.
It was so exciting!

Tense your lines!

Cheers,

GO-Ito