SWF fishing Omaha

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianMikeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWF fishing Omaha
    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:09am
CanadianMikeNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All,

I'm heading to Omaha for a bit of R&R  (23 - 27th Apr) for a bit of a break and taking the SWF fly gear for a ride. 

Does anyone have any tips for fishing around there?  not looking for secret spots, just to put a bend in the rod so to speak.. 

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:41am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Landbased or boat/kayak?  

Great options from a boat or kayak 15 mins away up at Leigh. Have not done much from the shore though.  I normally fish out of Leigh harbour and head over to Leigh reef, the outpost or Daniels reef.  Normally schools of kahawai working Leigh reef and surrounding area this time of year. Should also be in Omaha bay. Just look for birds.  Could be kings around with the schools. 

Shallow weedy areas around the coastline produce snapper on the drift with a fly.Most of the area can be reached easily with a kayak, even Leigh reef. Just don't go into the Marine reserve around the corner at Goat Island.

Have not fished Omaha a great deal other than taking my son to catch sprats off Ti Point wharf, but that is too packed to fly fish most of the time.  If you are shore based I would look for some access to weedy rocky shorelines. A bit of berley (if you are that way inclined) and they should produce well. Have tried the channel that runs out of the estuary (accessed from Point Wells) but have not caught a thing even though it looks great and I know the channel holds trevally.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianMikeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 1:36pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the reply Jofly, 

Will be primarily land based, but will have the SUP with me so potentially have a go off that if the weather / conditions permit.

have you had any luck from the Groins at all off the beach?

Cheers,
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:23pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not much luck off those, but I have done very little from those. Another spot might be the rocks just outside Leigh harbour. You can walk from the wharf.  Not sure how much room there is behind for casting though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Walk along the coast from Ti Point wharf out to the point itself. There are numerous rocky boulders and outcrops to stop and cast. I won't fancy your chances if you hook a King but snapper, trevally and kahawai also frequent the area. You may get lucky and get an anchovy ball up. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And go early if possible
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:33pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good advice there Mups. I'll probably be wandering along there tomorrow afternoon ... old haunt . Most kings along there aren't babies though ..most we used to hook could eat a kahawai. Suppose the odd rat   passes by sometimes nowdays but been dusted there a lot when I was young and even few yrs ago. Mainly on 20 to 30 lb line we use for snaps on old Mitchell's and spinfishers... great times!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:00am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been fishing the omaha harbour and general area pretty hard lately both from land and from the SUP have found that anywhere up by whangateau following any of the channel lines with a little bit of berley is very productive
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianMikeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 3:28pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info much appreciated!
I’ll reply back with how I get on.

Happy Easter!

Cheers Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianMikeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:21am
Bronze
Bronze

Update**

So it seems my week off was jinxed with a howling SW wind for any fish-able time I had..  managed a bit of exploring though..

So had a couple of flicks around Tawharanui  on the outgoing tide (sth of the marine reserve) saw a few kahawai bust-ups and some diving Gannets but due to a howling SW wind casting was restricted.

Omaha flats North of the causeway was interesting to paddle around on the SUP.. great water visibility, very clear solid bottom with no obvious structure and minimal shell beds, saw a good family of eagle rays (no short tail), saw a fair bit of snapper sign and a good school of mullet jumping up around the mangroves.. nothing obvious in pursuit though..

Ti Point .. looks interesting with the right wind / tide combo think would be the place to explore further lots of current and structure .. just got to watch for tourists on the back cast... 

Cheers! Mike