String ray...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: String ray...
    Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:46pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On the weekend wen out with one of the sons to hook a king land based up at the manukau heads..
Lot work up, but 1 ave sized sting ray.
So not having had it since a little kid, and cant remmeber decided to take one of the wings.
Then a google search.. funny thing is comes up with a lot of threads from here...
 After reading a bit..
 decided to paraboil.. (part cook) had to google that..
then scrap the skin off.. very easy..( it doesnt come off like a gurnard or snapper.)
 Then slice the cartilage out.. easier said than done. So left it, it far easier to remove after final cooking.

Some of these things people write is crap.. sounds good, but very apparent they have not actually done it.. they dont even mention the slime

So I recommend ,
Scrub down with a scotch brite get slime off
 simply dump it in boiling water and only blanche it till the skin just starts to be able scraped off.. remove  from water remove skin with blunt knife.
 The top surface meat is cooked...it has a very tender nice texture and a very mild flavour, rather nice if was stronger.. nothing like what would imagine to be... and it is like noodles. Thumbs Up

Being like noodles, and when cools , has a lot of gelatin jelly form.
 The initial feeling was.. the ultimate base for a seafood chowder/ soup. Thumbs Up

Even the grandchildren like it...before telling them what it was..
And still liked it once they knew..and that was cold out of the fridgeSmile

So decided to cook up a simple basic  snack..get a little more flavour into it. Into a pan with a little butter and olive oil to brown it up
Normal tatar types sauces, sweet chilly did not go with it, cooked with it or on the side .Thumbs Down
Different cnrs of the pan got different things added.
 Combinations of balsamic vinegar, garlic paste, soy sauce, and of all things a little mustard and/ or wasabi .. enough to just bring the flavour out...

As to a cheats scallop.. certainly a Tuis "yeah right"  thu faint hint maybe of a crab stick??? maybe...?

Unfortunately it all disappeared rather quickly so never got to making a soup, or chowder, .. and would certainly go well in any chow main / curry type dish.

I used to make brawn years go.. old  1800s english recipe from my Grand mother .. the clear stuff , not the mushy cloudy crap...
 When it had cooled down initially and the gelintin formed... the thought to use as a base for brawn rather than pigs head and trotters was certainly strong..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:41pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe the sushami,crab meat in supermarkets,is ray been sliced and flavored
And Yes you mentioned scallops,in some cases it is ray as you never seem to get the orange part like in a scallop.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:24am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

I believe the sushami,crab meat in supermarkets,is ray been sliced and flavored
And Yes you mentioned scallops,in some cases it is ray as you never seem to get the orange part like in a scallop.

Ive heard the scallops you buy in some Asian restaurants is Stingray wing, punched. the circles are soaked in the scallop guts to give some flavour before cooking. The texture is all wrong though and the grain goes the opposite way to a scallop. A little misleading, not much different to selling shark at the F+C shop and calling it "lemon fish" "tope" etc, most people don't realise what they are buying. But clever really, and a resource that seems sustainable for the moment anyway.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 1:33pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you would decimate the NZ ray population pretty quickly if it was used commercially in bulk.Plenty around when you see them as recreational fishos, but the comm guys would need to take them by the 100's to make a trip pay out and I can't quite see it working out in NZ at least. Assume the $'s per kilo green weight would be pretty low.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:18pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe, from inside source, PJC is correct.. crab stick and sushami is made up from the leftovers  of fish proceessing, recontutued and flavoured accordling... which also incudes scrap meat of skate and other fish.

As to the scalope thing.. that I cant go with that at all.
 in my books it is a urban myth that is not possible.
1/ the flavour, not even close
2/ texture well sorta.
3/ The meat is more like (is) noodles, so if you imagine , lay out a lot of noodles, then cut them with a round cake cutter, there is no way they will hold together  putting in the pan, let alone cook them like that..and hold together.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:00pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am surprised ray is not taken more for the asian markets albeit export, but perhaps they have enough in their own countries.

Places like Singapore where BBQ Stingray is a well known delicacy, right up there and served with Chilli Crab and Garlic/Black Bean Squid and that is baby squid, a shame but divine.

I have kept a few wings, found small to meduim models are the best forget the big ones, bit tough and not as tasty, but to the others I have smoked and turned into fish pies was good.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau