Casting, patience and practice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Casting, patience and practice
    Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:59pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just over a month in to my fly fishing journey, casting is coming along albeit slowly, some self taught practice and a correction lesson by an expert and I'm slowly getting the casting sorted.
So many things to remember to perfect the cast so I found videoing myself and then reviewing is helping - must remember - tight loops, rod start and stop position, double hauling, timing, arm in tighter to the body... and the list goes on Smile

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 9:07pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

well done for getting er done. this video was my biggest help with double hauling its all about muscle memory and can be parctised where ever you are and even with out a rod. My work m8s always ask what I am doing when at work but little do they know I an fishing in the office.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=326C1L-97Z0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:03am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

A good start outdoor man . Will's on the money when he talks about muscle memory and the double haul. I can cast in my sleep with my right arm but quickly go back to square one when I try with my left arm. My muscles are all locked in a different configuration on that non-dominant side and refuse to move in the way I want them to. I persist though, simply to try and build up muscle memory on that side and to remind myself how hard it can be when people first pick up a fly rod. You're making great progress and will quickly find it easier and easier.

I'm not a casting pro at all but I would suggest thinking about how the rod is loaded. Once the double-haul is tuned in you'll find that rod really loading up on the forward cast and the flyline moving with speed and power.

Sexyloops.com used to be a great site for on-line casting tuition. I presume it still is .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:53am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good stuff, mate.
Like the other guys above, I found myself doing the 'stop your arm at 1 o'clock' thing as I walked around the house, when I was learning.

I reckon it's pretty hard to learn casting using a shooting head line - as you're doing. It's one of the harder lines to cast, compared to a full floating line which I learned with. So well done!!

Line velocity is the key with shooting heads. If you watch an expert, the double haul and the rod motion creates tremendous momentum with apparently little effort. Like a great golfer.Their swing appears to be all timing and 'whack', but the force they generate is actually amazing.

I once fished beside Gary Kemsley at some rocks on the northern side of Lake Taupo, and he did a couple of fairly slow false casts and his shooting head line headed for Turangi like a rocket. Looked so simple!

It might be worth trying with a stripping basket, even on the playground.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:37pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ya might want to try the 'lefty kreh way', were apon  ya laying the rod and arms more further back,
basicly no longer the old 10-2, but  more 9 -3. stop it hard at 3 wait for the loop to almost fully stop then shoot forward to 9. you should feel the rod load well and line shoot at speed. try slowing down a bit to, left foot slightly forward. and pay attention to the way ya hold the rod, 
if ya using a shooting head keep some of the head in the guides on the false cast,
once it leaves the guides ya loose a lot of control.  

im not a stickler for rules in this game, and we all find our own preferences.

but ya find if ya back cast is sweet and loaded ya forward will be to.

and as TK points, the slow well timed loaded back cast will result in a great forward presentation.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:43pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BTW, loving ya contributions to the forumThumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly