How old is too old to keep spearfishing?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How old is too old to keep spearfishing?
    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:31pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is 60 too old?

My older friend is getting on in years, he seems fit enough but as we all know you do slow down a bit.

Is there anything dangerous about spearing/apnea in shallow water, 5-10m type snapper reefs? I dont think hes interested in open water stuff anymore.

I also have to consider it as that is only a bit more than a decade away for me.

If your cardio is good, apnea is acceptable, is there any reason one should stop from a medical perspective?

It might be a silly question, but I just dont see that many older spearos and wondered if it was a medical thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:25pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No, not too old - from a health perspective it will always be better to be active rather than spending your time on the couch.
Phil (pretty sure he's chiming in soon) is an old fart that still regularly shows us the ropes in terms of bottom times and fitness. If you're generally in good health (heart and lungs) you'll probably stop walking before you won't be able to dive anymore. Look up "Ama", Japanese pearl diver that are well active into their seventies, there are some great documentaries about them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:29pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that. I was assuming what you have said, but just wanted to be sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 8:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is 60 too old?

You serious?

If in good health, fit and haven't spent a lot of your life smoking what is the issue?
 that applies if you are 16 or 80 
No different if want to go hunting or climb a mountain...

Having not had a mask on since I was about 19/20..then 40 plus yrs on, swimming around the reefs.. 
After a little 'gentle , trial discovered how deep could go.. limitation was more from 30 odd yrs smoking althu haven't smoked for well over 10 now.. never got short breath or a cough etc..
 With more practice, bit lung training  Icould get down a little further and longer.. but not long or deep enough to warrant the expense of a gun....
If had not spent those yrs smoking, then I see absolutely no reason why I could not do so.. at Well over 60yrs

I think it like most things, from diving to motor circuit racing to hang gliding, regardless of age, if go at like a bull at a gate, you are liable to run into trouble, take it easy , push little at a time as experience kicks in ... go for it

My Uncle was climbing the Himalayas at 84..
 There are a whole bunch of members on these forums doing this stuff way way over 60...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 4:39am
fishstew View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I know guy here in Southern California who is 79 and still dives and hunts Yellowtail and white seabass very regularly.  He isn't able to dive as deep and his endurance isn't what it used to be but it hasn't stopped him yet. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:05pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geeze thats a good innings 79 and still deep spearing.

Ok its a non issue. Makes me feel better too because I cant imagine life without being under the water.

I actually prefer reef spearing too not open water as its not just the fish its the whole reef and sea life that gives me the buzz.

Dont get me wrong spearing a Kingi in deep blue is a buzz (until Mr Mako turns up lol) but I love reef freediving which is generally not that deep, so get more time down, my apnea is not the best, about 2 minutes, but its all practise. Im extremely unfit, some motivation for this year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:02pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Uuhm - I wouldn't call "around 2min" shabby at all. You seem to have it pretty much sussed