Eco-friendly boat wash

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eco-friendly boat wash
    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 4:20pm
miahd View Drop Down
Content Manager
Content Manager

Hi team, 

I'm in the process of signing up to the OBC, where you're only allowed to use eco-friendly cleaning products in their washing bays.

What is everyone's favourite eco-friendly wash down products?

I've tried Simple Green and Salt Away, but am keen to see what everyone else has tried

TIA Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 5:04pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Water, a nylon bristled broom and elbow grease on bare alloy.

An old sponge, elbow grease water on the painted areas and the upholstered parts of the seats.

Salt-away for the engine flush.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 5:41pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Likewise, alloy boat here and all its ever had is water through one of those hose-brush things.

Motor only ever been flushed with H20 and it looked sweet as (for a 26 year old motor at least) inside last time I had the powerhead off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 10:16pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ve seen a range of bio cleaning products I think in Brunsco marine. Whitianga water ways desperately needs its boat owners to use it !!! Seen whitebait, large trevally, snapper, mullet, kawhia, suspect Kingi’s. And every end of the weekend a cloud of detergents and bubbles washed off boats being cleaned pour into the water ways. The ignorance is mind blowing....
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 10:56pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I also use nothing but fresh water,a nylon scrubber,and water through a strong hose jet.
Was told never to use dish detergent as it is very Alkaline,P.H around 8. Any residue left on alloy surface could potentially corrode.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 9:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whitianga water ways desperately needs its boat owners to use it !!! Seen whitebait, large trevally, snapper, mullet, kawhia, suspect Kingi’s. And every end of the weekend a cloud of detergents and bubbles washed off boats being cleaned pour into the water ways. The ignorance is mind blowing....

Bit of ironary there maybe?

And farmers get bad rap for runoff...
 In may cities its now illegal to wash your car so detergent/ runoff enters the kerb side / stormwaters... They suggest wash over grassed areas.
 With high density infill housing in Auckland now.. no grassed areas...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 1:37pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

In may cities its now illegal to wash your car so detergent/ runoff enters the kerb side / stormwaters... They suggest wash over grassed areas.
 With high density infill housing in Auckland now.. no grassed areas...

I recently tried a quick detailing spray included with some clay bars I bought (one of the cars picked up some paint spray somewhere).

I was very impressed by the detailing spray.  Spray on, cloth off, no additional water required.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 8:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Meguires quick detail?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 1:01pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Meguires quick detail?

Mother's but more or less the same thing I think.  Very impressed with the clay bars.  First time I've used them and I ended up doing the whole car.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mother's but more or less the same thing I think.

personal preference, been a few yrs since used Mothers, which at the time megiures was better.
Clean your glasses, the mirrors/glass in the house, and rather than wash the house windows, clean with quick detailer.. cleaner and stay that way far longer.. polished furniture....boat acrylic windows and clears