Penn Fathom 15 LD - upgrades.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billz121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penn Fathom 15 LD - upgrades.
    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 11:23am
Billz121 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has ever upgraded a Penn Fathom 15 LD and if so wondering the differences it made and what you would or wouldnt recommend it.

Cheers,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 1:18pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Easiest  and best upgrade ever...... sell it and get a Shimano Talica single speed.

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billz121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 4:07pm
Billz121 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fair enough, new to jigging to I was wondering what would be best first with this reel, then look at diving into a better reel setup later on.

Cheers,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 6:00pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fair cop, I was being scarcastic with tounge firmly planted in cheek. I apologize
The difficulty with upgrading a reel is it inevitability leads to compromises... unless the reel is made to cope with the xtra stress if a long handle, or more max drag is added it places xtra stress somewhere that wasn’t designed to cope with it.
Use the fathom as it’s made, and when your ready buy something dedicated to jigging
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 9:16pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Fathom 15 is a bloody good reel, all metal body with stainless drag plate and greased carbon fibre drag washers. Dual synchronized dogs mean a bulletproof anti-reverse with minimal backplay. It is probably good for 25 lbs of drag out of the box. Axial thrust bearings mean it won't lock up at higher drag settings. Fish it as is for kings. if anything the Fathom 40N would offer better performance on bigger fish with 40 lbs drag    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billz121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:44pm
Billz121 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks so much for all the information guys, really appreciate it. Can't wait to get at it now.... 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 5:05pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They are stonking little reels for the money. The only problem you may have is that they are quite wide reels, and managing line lay whilst mechanical jigging is close to impossible. You may find you have problems with all the line ending up on one side of the reel, which can be problematic if you're jigging in deeper water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 11:13am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No upgrade needed for that reel... Just use it. I have one & goe's bloody well. Havn't caught anything BIG yet just snaps upto 15lb handles em easy as.... Don't use as much these days as have 2 Poseidon 50SL & a NEXT 50SJprice wise still cheaper than shiman. sili reel...  Tongue  Best slow jig, strayline etc out there... Kingi's ppfftt bring it on!!