Yearly Turangi Trip

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yearly Turangi Trip
    Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 8:44pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A bit late but a great few days the other week with my old Mate Duncan - first day was on the Tongariro braids area nymphing with my great combo of Mnaic Crazy legs and otters orange egg hooking 4-5 fish in first 45 minutes - Duncan had nothing and boy did I let him know about it. By the afternoon he had a lead again and normal service resumed.

Next morning I had the honour of meeting Pat Swift at the Tokaanu ramp - we went out in the fc430cc and fished the Tongariro Delta and Tokaanu hole - slow but steady fishing - Rainbows caught on the glow bug at Delta and the Whote Booby fly at The Hole. A bonus Koura or two was skillfully lasooed by me - great to spend some hours with Pat - an absolute legend when it comes to all things trout fishing. Heaps of fish sign in the hole and a very underrated spot - both locations best fished with 40 plus sinking lines and short trace,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 3:04pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report, mate. That first morning on the water would have been amazing, awesome when you get fish after fish with others starting to ask 'what have you got on?'.
Stunning weather at the Delta. Hopefully some of Pat's magic rubbed off for the next jigging season at Rotoiti.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:29pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hope so mate - you and I will have to get our act together and thro the kitchen sink at them.
Jigging, flies, soft baits, ledger rigs - the whole lot!
Need a 4.5kg fish for the wall!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 8:15pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Livebaits...Geoff's Kaburas...

For a wall mount, I'd probably pick a big green-backed brownie from the Tongariro in early autumn. They are beautiful lookingfish.

But I'll try not to stuff up netting your 10lber from Rotoiti or Okataina! It'll be a long walk home for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 8:12am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes - we have to draw the line somewhere- your idea of straylining lightly weighted smelt down a berley trail over the weed beds doesn't quite fit with the regulations!

re mount- those mostly silver rotoiti football shaped rainbows with a touch of crimson on lateral line- Hen or Jack?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 11:13pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just got back from my second Tongariro trip this season.    Fishing was mixed one day I got 12 and the next only 3.    All up 48 in six days fishing so not too bad.    Fish condition varied with some nice silver fish and a few slimmer but fresh models.    All up definitely not as good as last year.   Talked to DOC about it and it turns out that productivity varies across the lake .     Fish living in high productivity zones do better.    I guess that applies to humans as well     Folks from Remuera compared to those from Otara.

Will be back in Sept. for another bash

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:14am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's good going Rainbow - pretty consistent results right there.